Barbless hooks

Can anyone recommend barbless hooks that stay in well?

I'm starting on a very weedy lake with a barbless rule.

Lost a fish in heavy weed on sunday morning 1st overnighter and I feel like I need a pretty special hook for this situation, the stakes are high and I may well need to slackened off to get the fish moving again, so I want a beak point or better if such a hook exists.

I'm going down the bottom bait route, so a curve shank or wide gape style hook that I can fish blowback with a ring or silicon.  Sized 4

Any recommendations welcome - thanks 👍

8 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Can anyone recommend barbless hooks that stay in well?

I'm starting on a very weedy lake with a barbless rule.

Lost a fish in heavy weed on sunday morning 1st overnighter and I feel like I need a pretty special hook for this situation, the stakes are high and I may well need to slackened off to get the fish moving again, so I want a beak point or better if such a hook exists.

I'm going down the bottom bait route, so a curve shank or wide gape style hook that I can fish blowback with a ring or silicon.  Sized 4

Any recommendations welcome - thanks 👍

What about the Pallatrax Grips ?

https://www.pallatrax.co.uk/our-products/gripz-hooks/

I remember someone on here, but no review/reply i dont think ??

I used them in France and they are great. The only reason I don't continue using them over here is that "my" syndicate is micro barbed only, they don't allow barbless. I had no problems with them at all.

I tried the wide gape version initially but preferred the straight points if I'm honest. They are a good size too.... not too big. The size 4's are perfect. They are very sharp too, straight out of the pkt. And they stayed sharp...

https://www.pallatrax.co.uk/product/gripz-straight-point-hooks/

Edited by smufter

1 hour ago, smufter said:

I used them in France and they are great. The only reason I don't continue using them over here is that "my" syndicate is micro barbed only, they don't allow barbless. I had no problems with them at all.

I tried the wide gape version initially but preferred the straight points if I'm honest. They are a good size too.... not too big. The size 4's are perfect. They are very sharp too, straight out of the pkt. And they stayed sharp...

Thanks smufter that's brilliant - looks like I'll be giving them a go.  I'd probably choose the beaked point over straight - any thoughts on that?

Any hook pattern with a beaked point if you think you may have to slacken off,  but then that still doesn't guarantee the hook won't get spat.  

My current lake is barbless. I had a fish last year and I went to unhook it in the net. Absolutely buried, I couldn't remove the hook no matter what. Went to get my forceps and returned to the net to find said hook and rig lying in the bottom of the net. I think what you need is to somehow shed the bait on s run as that's how I believe the fish rid the hook itself. By sucking and blowing the baited hair in and out of somehow dislodged the hook. Hook was a korda krank by the way. 

42 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Any hook pattern with a beaked point if you think you may have to slacken off,  but then that still doesn't guarantee the hook won't get spat.  

My current lake is barbless. I had a fish last year and I went to unhook it in the net. Absolutely buried, I couldn't remove the hook no matter what. Went to get my forceps and returned to the net to find said hook and rig lying in the bottom of the net. I think what you need is to somehow shed the bait on s run as that's how I believe the fish rid the hook itself. By sucking and blowing the baited hair in and out of somehow dislodged the hook. Hook was a korda krank by the way. 

Cheers mate - the bait comes off on the take no probs (premier), I'd say the hook hold was probably good, the line went eventually - not good.

If the management had bought me the boat when I requested it, I wouldnt be asking the question but I obviously cannot rely on them so may well have to slacken off as part of the process.

Thanks for the info - I'm looking at wide gapes with maximum beak - I'm told Fox are good, not tried Kranks yet.

5 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Cheers mate - the bait comes off on the take no probs (premier), I'd say the hook hold was probably good, the line went eventually - not good.

If the management had bought me the boat when I requested it, I wouldnt be asking the question but I obviously cannot rely on them so may well have to slacken off as part of the process.

Thanks for the info - I'm looking at wide gapes with maximum beak - I'm told Fox are good, not tried Kranks yet.

I've used the fox armour point range. They are good hooks and very sharp. Only beaked point one i used was the chod type hook  from that range. All the rest I used were straight points but all very good hooks. 

Regarding the kranks,  size 4 or 2's . Don't go any smaller, apparently they bend out. Never had this problem with the size 4's though. 

12 hours ago, smufter said:

I, too, used these in France. Never lost a fish yet almost all hookholds were released in the net. As stated, these are SHARP hooks! I used the straight points in size 4 and they were ideal.

I'd add that I've just had a long weekend on Horseshoe Lake, the Carp Society's headquarters, using the same hooks. I blanked but one of my fishing buddies had a PB mirror using identical hooks in a very weedy water. I'd be happy to commend the hooks to anyone.

Ian.

14 hours ago, crusian said:

Have you looked at the ESP Cryogen range , Kev. ? , maybe a Grip Rigger if the ESP blurb is to be believed .

I'm not fishing a weedy lake at the moment , so unfortunately I can't give a personal recommendation .

😃

I've got some Cryogen's mate but not in the barbless, will have a look at the range again.

Made my first rigs with the Pallatrax Grips last night, very happy with them, the beak is very beaked lol and sharp.

What I would say is that my size 4's are more like a 6 from other brands, if I'm happy with them I will buy the 2's next time.

Buzzing to get started!

6 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I've got some Cryogen's mate but not in the barbless, will have a look at the range again.

Made my first rigs with the Pallatrax Grips last night, very happy with them, the beak is very beaked lol and sharp.

What I would say is that my size 4's are more like a 6 from other brands, if I'm happy with them I will buy the 2's next time.

Buzzing to get started!

Can you post a review of the Pallatrax Grips please Kev. ; IMO  it would be good to have a review of beaked points to go along with Welders and Smufter reviews of straight points .

😀

First trip out with the Gripz beak points:

Unfortunately no weed to contend with on this trip so the interesting part wasn't tried, however six takes six landed, no slippage or damage caused, 3 fish on a single hook, before changed.

The successful rig was the KD with a wafter hookbait taking 5 of the fish, the relevance of this I'm not sure of because those 5 came from the left side of the baited spot for whatever reason.

All good so far, the trail continues...

Edited by kevtaylor

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

First trip out with the Gripz beak points:

Unfortunately no weed to contend with on this trip so the interesting part wasn't tried, however six takes six landed, no slippage or damage caused, 3 fish on a single hook, before changed.

The successful rig was the KD with a wafter hookbait taking 5 of the fish, the relevance of this I'm not sure of because those 5 came from the left side of the baited spot for whatever reason.

All good so far, the trail continues...

Thanks very much , Kev. 

Here's to your continuing success , and next report .

😀