Fishing an old, unfished lake

Teo

Hi,

Im fishing an old, unfished lake that is very weedy in areas, with one corner covered in lillies and the rest covered with patches of underwater weed. These fish are not use to angling presence and i have seen one or two large carp in the margins. This lake is very deep going to around 50ft deep in the centre.

Any advice on catching would be helpful, Thanks

Thanks, what would you reccomend on a limited budget, there are many small fish present such as roach and bream that can be seen.

25 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Sounds like a bit of marginal baiting,  would soon bring rewards . Nice & stealthy.... Enjoy 😎

2 minutes ago, Teo said:

Would this still work if the venue has a very low stock and the carp are very elusive

Unless you try you'll never know, Teo. Got to be worth a go. Personally, I'd pop into the nearest frozen food outlet and buy several bags of sweetcorn, cheap as you like and almost always effective. I'd bait up a few margin spots quite heavily and let the feeding fish clear some of the weed. Then I'd fish these cleared spots with several grains of corn on a hair rig.

Ian.

Maize,chick peas,kidney beans and peanuts........ if it’s never been fished I wouldn’t even consider a boilie...... no need. Just a word of warning tho mate,if you do use said baits make sure there fully prepared. If you want to make a few margin spots in the weed give it a rake and get some wheat and groats in...... they will clean an area off nice for you and all the above are very cheap and carp love em. Let us know how you get on,mate. 😬😎🎣

I’m off to a 30 acre trout res with the pooch this morning, no idea if there’s any carp in there but going to look for them. Any tips on trying to locate them would be awesome 👍

also got the dropshot rod in the boot just in case I want to try for a trout or w/e else is in there 👌

8 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Maize,chick peas,kidney beans and peanuts........ if it’s never been fished I wouldn’t even consider a boilie...... no need. Just a word of warning tho mate,if you do use said baits make sure there fully prepared. If you want to make a few margin spots in the weed give it a rake and get some wheat and groats in...... they will clean an area off nice for you and all the above are very cheap and carp love em. Let us know how you get on,mate. 😬😎🎣

Thanks, mate will try this.

10 hours ago, welder said:

Unless you try you'll never know, Teo. Got to be worth a go. Personally, I'd pop into the nearest frozen food outlet and buy several bags of sweetcorn, cheap as you like and almost always effective. I'd bait up a few margin spots quite heavily and let the feeding fish clear some of the weed. Then I'd fish these cleared spots with several grains of corn on a hair rig.

Ian.

Thanks, i'll try this.

SWEETCORN. Take a few packs, bait any margin, clear areas and just keep walking around until you see something. The crust Idea is brilliant too. Personally I would not fish at all unless I could define the fish stocks, not all lakes hold carp? Once you see fish you halfway to catching.

Some years ago my mate had access to a lake that was famous for some old huge carp. We baited and fished it for a whole season, never saw a carp in dozens of trips. Bream, tench, eels, but never a carp. Today given the same situation, I would not waste any time unless I saw carp with my own eyes. Old fish die, people take them out, otters you have to be sure it has fish in you want to catch. But good luck, could be a real sleeper, let us know please?

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

I’m off to a 30 acre trout res with the pooch this morning, no idea if there’s any carp in there but going to look for them. Any tips on trying to locate them would be awesome 👍

also got the dropshot rod in the boot just in case I want to try for a trout or w/e else is in there 👌

I can't help you with the carp but if you're dropshoting in a trout rezy there's bound to be some good perch in there. 

Good luck mate 👍 

1 hour ago, Dicky123 said:

SWEETCORN. Take a few packs, bait any margin, clear areas and just keep walking around until you see something. The crust Idea is brilliant too. Personally I would not fish at all unless I could define the fish stocks, not all lakes hold carp? Once you see fish you halfway to catching.

Some years ago my mate had access to a lake that was famous for some old huge carp. We baited and fished it for a whole season, never saw a carp in dozens of trips. Bream, tench, eels, but never a carp. Today given the same situation, I would not waste any time unless I saw carp with my own eyes. Old fish die, people take them out, otters you have to be sure it has fish in you want to catch. But good luck, could be a real sleeper, let us know please?

Thanks, there are carp in this lake as i have seen them from up a tree, should i bait the margin where i saw the carp only, or spread it out. Would the roach and bream not eat all of the corn as there is an abundance of these nuisance fish in the lake.

Sadly didn’t get to do any fishing, my dog ran into a boggy patch head first and got covered head to toe in [censored], so had to get her back, washed and dried 😂😂

Out of the 30 acres of water there’s only a handful of spots to fish from, the rest is inaccessible because of how steep the banks were.

I baited a spot with a kilo of krill boilies, probably peeing in the wind but gonna go back tomorrow after work and fish over them for a few hours and give the lure rod a go.

stunning res though, there’s a few old quarry pits around it too so will be checking them out as well 👍

Edited by jh92

On 23/06/2019 at 12:41, jh92 said:

Sadly didn’t get to do any fishing, my dog ran into a boggy patch head first and got covered head to toe in [censored], so had to get her back, washed and dried 😂😂

Out of the 30 acres of water there’s only a handful of spots to fish from, the rest is inaccessible because of how steep the banks were.

I baited a spot with a kilo of krill boilies, probably peeing in the wind but gonna go back tomorrow after work and fish over them for a few hours and give the lure rod a go.

stunning res though, there’s a few old quarry pits around it too so will be checking them out as well 👍

Are you allowed a boat JH ? , only I'm thinking drifting quietly along maybe putting out a carpet of  floaters ahead of you ? .

😃 

1 hour ago, crusian said:

Are you allowed a boat JH ? , only I'm thinking drifting quietly along maybe putting out a carpet of  floaters ahead of you ? .

😃

Not sure, there’s not much info on the place really so I’ll probably give swlakes trust a ring and ask them.

theres a nice big island at the back of the res, using a boat to get to it and fish from there seems a good idea lol 

Teo.

I've taken a bit more time to think about you situation, and think I may have a decent plan. I would not use boilies or hemp rich now. Boilies can be left uneaten and spoil the bottom, especially if the carp have not seen them before. They are expensive too if the carp don't eat them. Hemp is like Marmite on some waters. On some venues it works really well, but on others they ignore it completely. I find on very rich waters it work less well until they really get on it. This is the plan I would adopt.

Sweetcorn and pellet. Corn, because all fish eat it on sight, at first I think because of the size and visibility, they seem to get hooked very quickly and you can use it directly on the hook if you want?  Carp Pellet is amazing, I'd use 4mm to 6mm cheap too. The pellet will break down in a few hours, but leave a fine dust trail that when fish move over, rises up and simulates a feeding response, ask any match man. Also if there are no carp at all ( I prey there is for you ) the wildlife will eat the margin corn in the end. Corn is so good for stalking and watching fish eat. Try this plan and may you have success buddy. Initially stay away from boilies until you know carp are present and feeding.