Line clip use?

Dicky123

Because of my preference for light leads, I tend to use my line clips all the time.

I like to think that the initial resistance that a running fish feels when it hits the clip helps set the hook, something that a heavier lead would be doing.

It's also easier to get your bobbins nice and aligned if your line is leaving the business end from the same point on all 3 rods.

Plus, if you have been distracted for whatever reason, a quick glance at your line clips will tell you if you have missed anything....

12 hours ago, Dicky123 said:

If you use them "all the time" do you think your fishing is in a bit of a rut, and you're just doing the same old thing over and over? Just asking, thinking about my own fishing too?

No I use them for a purpose. It gives a bit of extra pressure when the fish is hooked and runs. Most of the time I have my butt eye past the alarm too, the line clip then creates the angle required for the bobbin. 

Ive found if you have Plenty of bream and tench in the venue then they just tighten the line up to the clip when you hook them and that’s it. Unless you hook a good sized tench of course. It meant for me they didn’t get the chance to get in to weedbeds on a couple of waters. 

15 hours ago, Dicky123 said:

If you use them "all the time" do you think your fishing is in a bit of a rut, and you're just doing the same old thing over and over?

Lol.

No.

Main reason I use them all the time (regardless of distance and hence how tight i fish my lines) is to tell me if I'm getting done/if the lead has moved. When I'm getting liners, as long as that line stays in the clip I'll leave the rod. If it pings out without developing into a full blown take I'll assume the lead has been moved and re-cast. Tends to work, I can't remember the last time I needed to recast (normally if that line leaves the clip I'm in).

Greekskii.  

It's why I asked, you're clearly thinking about your angling. I'm sure many of us just go through the motions, never really thinking about why we are doing something. Personally I don't use mine much, mostly at long range, or very windy situations when little beeps can drive you crazy. At close range I prefer to see what my bobbins are doing, making sure my lead set up is right for the fishing I'm doing. Heavy leads in close, or light for casting over fish.

I did re-learn something recently. I'm guilty of using short hook links out of fashion almost all the time. But Alain Blair said he used longer links on big fish picking up individual hook baits. He said a big fish sucks up a bait often as much as 6'' or more off the bottom, so a 12'' link was not too long. Now I knew this, its obvious, but I was NOT thinking about it, GUILTY of just doing something because it's the way I fish. 

22 minutes ago, Dicky123 said:

Alain Blair said.......

Imo you should apply tactics based on the angling situation and the observations you make. Not because Alan Blair told you to. That is not thinking angling imo.

26 minutes ago, Dicky123 said:

I'm sure many of us just go through the motions, never really thinking about why we are doing something.

See above dude.

3 hours ago, yonny said:

Imo you should apply tactics based on the angling situation and the observations you make. Not because Alan Blair told you to. That is not thinking angling imo.

See above dude.

You have mis-quoted and misunderstood what I was saying sadly! I was simply implying how easy it is to get stuck in a way of fishing, and not always think about the situation. The Alain Blair quote was just an example, and nothing more. I raised the thread just for that simple reason.  🙄 Rich.

As below...this is always as i have my setup...

17 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

like to have the bail at '12 O'Clock'

20190618_130025.thumb.jpg.8b874c9a76957a769c13d1fff6cb0717.jpg

but just looking at the line from reel to bobbin then alarm..its more of an incline..so if using line clip line can be clipped up and you get more of a drop from clip so will define more of a drop back and a run ??

6 hours ago, greekskii said:

No I use them for a purpose. It gives a bit of extra pressure when the fish is hooked and runs. Most of the time I have my butt eye past the alarm too, the line clip then creates the angle required for the bobbin. 

Ive found if you have Plenty of bream and tench in the venue then they just tighten the line up to the clip when you hook them and that’s it. Unless you hook a good sized tench of course. It meant for me they didn’t get the chance to get in to weedbeds on a couple of waters. 

I recently changed to having my butt eye past the alarm, I don't think I would go back now much better set up tbh, when used with lighter bobbins it's a sensitive set up for close in stuff, 

I did try using the line clip last night but it was getting dark and I couldn't see what I was doing properly, will have to have another go I the daylight 

3 minutes ago, Highy said:

As below...this is always as i have my setup...

20190618_130025.thumb.jpg.8b874c9a76957a769c13d1fff6cb0717.jpg

but just looking at the line from reel to bobbin then alarm..its more of an incline..so if using line clip line can be clipped up and you get more of a drop from clip so will define more of a drop back and a run ??

What's your preferred sonik sensitivity setting on the sonik ie 4 being highest 1 lowest? 

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I recently changed to having my butt eye past the alarm, I don't think I would go back now much better set up tbh, when used with lighter bobbins it's a sensitive set up for close in stuff, 

I did try using the line clip last night but it was getting dark and I couldn't see what I was doing properly, will have to have another go I the daylight 

What's your preferred sonik sensitivity setting on the sonik ie 4 being highest 1 lowest? 

Depnds on the co ditions of the day...but as i always back lead i put it to number 2.

3 minutes ago, Highy said:

Depnds on the co ditions of the day...but as i always back lead i put it to number 2.

I've been using 4 quite a bit lately when I can get away with it but I think as sensitive as possible is best, on setting 4 I have had 2 beeps that have turned Into bream(could've been a tricky carp ) whereas on 1 it wouldn't have even sounded, i do like the alarms though, I think they are great little things tbh