Thought of the Day pt.2

greekskii

35 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

I was unsure if the jungle formula from boots I’d bought was working....... until the day I forgot to bring it with me. I got eaten alive. It works a treat. The only thing it doesn’t detract is horse flies. But I always have a couple of repellent coils in my bag too which seem to keep everything away. Light one up next to my chair. Sorted. Of course only when there’s no breeze they are effective. Jungle formula sprayed directly on the exposed skin. Job done 

Cheers mate, had my joggers tucked into my socks as soon as i got there but didnt make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Dannygooner said:

The day I forgot it 4 weeks ago my legs got annihilated. So bad that some are still visible now. I fished the exact same swim before and after with the jungle spray applied liberally and didn’t get a single bite. Hope that helps mate.  

Thats enough for me to try it mate.

Cheers

Frank (Levsig) put a link on here last year I think of what he uses in Scotland (and apparently they get them really bad up there) about some electrical thingy that repels them. I remember looking into it coz mozzies blooming luv me ! Don’t think it was cheap but in the same breath what price uneaten legs....... I feel your pain mufty,mate.

C979F551-2D7E-4953-9B7E-A46D67692961.png

Edited by snowmanstevo

You have 2 main options for the skin:

Citronella - this is a natural product, essential oil from lemon grass, it's the stuff in the Avon Skin-So-Soft. It's friendly to the skin.

Deet (diethyltoluamide) - This is the active ingredient in Jungle Formula. It's horrible stuff, melts plastic, dyes clothes, dries your skin out. Last resort imo.

Then you have you mozzie coils which use the extract from flowers, nice and natural.

There are some newer skin friendly options such as Incognito - I tried this and it didn't work for me but lots of guys swear by it. 100% natural.

+1 for the avon skin so soft original, don't rub it in, and as the deerflies, horseflies and some vicious green delta wing nasties are imminently about to add to the annoyance, I also take antihistamine everyday as I get surrounded by the little ******** while shoeing horses

• 2 weeks later...

I have a real pet hate when it comes to reading product reviews and that is 

"it does what it says on the tin" really boils my widdle 

I was just looking at a rake head ffs I know that doesn't come in a tin arrrrrgghhhh it's everywhere and mainly when there isn't a tin in sight, 😖

Edited by elmoputney

19 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I have a real pet hate when it comes to reading product reviews and that is 

"it does what it says on the tin" really boils my widdle 

I was just looking at a rake head ffs I know that doesn't come in a tin arrrrrgghhhh it's everywhere and mainly when there isn't a tin in sight, 😖

Yea , I know what you mean , 

Well at least this forum "Does what it says on the Tin "

On 05/06/2019 at 23:28, snowmanstevo said:

Frank (Levsig) put a link on here last year I think of what he uses in Scotland (and apparently they get them really bad up there) about some electrical thingy that repels them. I remember looking into it coz mozzies blooming luv me ! Don’t think it was cheap but in the same breath what price uneaten legs....... I feel your pain mufty,mate.

Probably Thermacell, and it's very expensive.  I just use deet because it's easy and effective, but I know how nasty it is.  It took the varnish off my shotgun.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 48 on Friday. Can't wait. 

Nuisance insect I've got to contend with are European/wood ants. Little flippers are everywhere, I believe, due to the army doing exercises on the estate. 

They bite hard! Got powder to form a ring round the bivvy, but I'm concerned that they will find their way in eventually. 🙁

6 hours ago, muftyboy said:

Been using the jungle formula and I haven't had a single bite since ive been using it.

Just been having a sort out in the shed for my France trip next month.

So far I've counted 27 tubs of pop ups and wafters , 57 leads, 17 different hooklinks.

Those numbers are almost right. Just need several more hooklinks now...……..

Ian.

15 hours ago, commonly said:

I've got a 48 on Friday. Can't wait. 

Nuisance insect I've got to contend with are European/wood ants. Little flippers are everywhere, I believe, due to the army doing exercises on the estate. 

They bite hard! Got powder to form a ring round the bivvy, but I'm concerned that they will find their way in eventually. 🙁

Yep you'll know when you get bitten by one of those , I'm guessing you near or in a Fir Tree woods