new chod rig

miloman

Lads has anyone tried the new way of tying the chod,I saw it on thinking tackle the other nite cant remember the guys name but he was with DF and the loop on the back  goes all the way down to the 2 crimps he uses the top one is splayed slightly and the 1 next to the loop and swivel is crimped as normal, your thoughts

T

It was Mark Bryant from Baitworks :wink:

I honestly can't see any benefits to the elongated D, I presume its to let the pop up slide back when its blown out, as the bait is a pop up it'll never make full use of the D as the only direction the pop up wants to go is upwards. I think the original chod or hinged stiff rig have been developed to their full potential and this rig offers no more benefits to those :) but saying all that, rigs are a very personal thing and if it works for him then why not :)

Looks awful wouldn't even entertain casting that out. Just keep things simple.

Your brilliant Liam, this is not said in a bad way at all but keep it simple is pretty much your go to reply, always makes me smile ! One day I may listen.

I do like making rigs, but I've got to say I'd worry the pop up would some how end up on the wrong part of the loop.

I see a chod as a massive hook that turns well when picked up and is difficult to eject. As has been said I don't see how the big d will help. I'll probably end up tying one though as I do like the look of it

gallery_90554_26_186449.png

Is this it? I typed "New chod rig" into Google found the image but not how to tie it

If necessity is the mother of invention for this rig, then i kinda like it....The was time out on the bank where i couldnt get the D back through the eye, so i ended up trapping it under the last turn, it caught fish, just i didnt like how the movement was restricted...... this rig could of solved both.

though im not sure i be happy to use the above rig,  If the baits blown the full length of the D there may be the chance that as the pivot point changes and the hook  lifts, either missing the bite or even weakening the hold has its played??????

A knotless knot hair rig has always been consistant and realible for me but although simple its the tweakes to suit the situation make simple rigs so effective ie long hair, short hair, big hook, small hook, soft material stiffer material blow back or fixed hair understanding when to ring these changes will out fish all these bells and whistle rigs all day long Imo.

Aside from the fact in the video it is shown as a chod rig, the original D rig was back down the hooklink, and not just the back through the eye as it seems to be fished now, so this enlarged version is nothing too major...

Could probably tie it without needing crimps as well!

tie the ring to a short hooklength back to a bolt or running rig as a different pop up set up.

Yeah mate , i cant remember what the rig is 'called' but i've done quite a bit of experimenting using Gardner or ESP pre-tied Chod rigs :wink:

Lets try again.....

I used this rig in 2012 thinking I had invented it. I called it the anti-eject chod. I caught my first UK 40 on it so immediately thought it was the best rig ever. Over the course of the season however it didn't outfish the other rigs I was using. I use a much less complicated version now although still quite different to the standard chod.

I remember seeing that rig on the Korda website shortly after I had though of it and was well gutted my "secret" was out!!