Camera tips and advice from September catch reports.

jh92

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

I have that app as well, I'm sure it doesn't take pictures the same as using the built in camera app, like the quality is set on max but it doesn't seem as good as the standard camera photos 🤔

I've not really tried it yet with a fish so not sure but it would make a handy back up, I will give it a try alongside my camera, my kids took most of my recent ones on the phone as I forgot my camera last time. 

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

£500 any good?

Short answer..... no 😂

I can make a few recommendations but you'll need more than 500 if you're buying new mate. First thing to decide is whether you want a compact, a DSLR, or a mirrorless.

You can get compacts with big sensors and these are capable of brilliant shots. My recommendation would be the CANON PowerShot G7X Mark II. It's not DSLR quality, but most would struggle to tell the difference. They cost just over 600 quid.

Next would be DSLR. They're cheaper than mirrorless but there's a reason for that. None of the OEM's are developing DSLR lenses any more. There's still loads available, but what you see on the market now is what you get - no more development (the technology is slowly being replaced with mirrorless). It's no secret that the quality of DSLR shots is great. My recommendation would be the Canon EOS 250D which is the cheapest Canon with a flip screen. It's about £750 with a standard kit lens. You can add an EF 50mm f1.8 lens for about 120 quid which will get you AMAZING shots.

Then mirrorless. A mirrorless camera is basically a DSLR without a mirror which offers advantages. This is basically the future of photography, but they're still quite expensive. The most cost effective flip screen Canon mirrorless is the EOS R50 which comes in at about 900 with a standard kit lens. Lenses tend to be pricey but for 200 notes you could get the RF 50mm f1.8 which again will give you awesome, awesome shots.

Both the DSLR and the mirrorless above have quite big APS-C sized sensors. The next step up would be to go to a full frame sensor.... but we're then talking mega bucks.

OR... you could go second hand which opens up loads of options!

15 minutes ago, yonny said:

The camera is still focussing on your face for some reason. See if you have 'face recognition' on. Not sure if your camera has this feature. If it does, turn it off mate.

Well done on the kipper, sounds like a great session.

Just been having a look mate, there's no facial recognition but the focus mode is on af-a, I'm gonna try it on 'af-s' and see if it helps, apparently when using af-a, it can focus on the face more than anything. Trial abd error I suppose 🤣

21 hours ago, yonny said:

Short answer..... no 😂

I can make a few recommendations but you'll need more than 500 if you're buying new mate. First thing to decide is whether you want a compact, a DSLR, or a mirrorless.

You can get compacts with big sensors and these are capable of brilliant shots. My recommendation would be the CANON PowerShot G7X Mark II. It's not DSLR quality, but most would struggle to tell the difference. They cost just over 600 quid.

Next would be DSLR. They're cheaper than mirrorless but there's a reason for that. None of the OEM's are developing DSLR lenses any more. There's still loads available, but what you see on the market now is what you get - no more development (the technology is slowly being replaced with mirrorless). It's no secret that the quality of DSLR shots is great. My recommendation would be the Canon EOS 250D which is the cheapest Canon with a flip screen. It's about £750 with a standard kit lens. You can add an EF 50mm f1.8 lens for about 120 quid which will get you AMAZING shots.

Then mirrorless. A mirrorless camera is basically a DSLR without a mirror which offers advantages. This is basically the future of photography, but they're still quite expensive. The most cost effective flip screen Canon mirrorless is the EOS R50 which comes in at about 900 with a standard kit lens. Lenses tend to be pricey but for 200 notes you could get the RF 50mm f1.8 which again will give you awesome, awesome shots.

Both the DSLR and the mirrorless above have quite big APS-C sized sensors. The next step up would be to go to a full frame sensor.... but we're then talking mega bucks.

Thanks for the info mate

I would consider second hand reconditioned for sure, had looked at a few online.

I thought mine would last my lifetime but it won't even take a picture or respond to any button pressing.

On 11/09/2024 at 15:54, yonny said:

Short answer..... no 😂

What do you think of this mate, is it everything I need lens wise?  Scenics and portraits?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/canon-eos-250d-dslr-camera-with-efs-1855-mm-f3.55.6-iii-and-ef-50-mm-f1.8-stm-lens-10192408.html

7 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

What do you think of this mate, is it everything I need lens wise?  Scenics and portraits?

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/canon-eos-250d-dslr-camera-with-efs-1855-mm-f3.55.6-iii-and-ef-50-mm-f1.8-stm-lens-10192408.html

It'll get you great, great shots mate. The 50 for trophy shots, and the zoom lens for all round work. Good deal too!