Getting kids into fishing

Gonna have to do this one in stages, but went for a 2 night trip with the kids and the dog, arrived at lunchtime after the usual struggle and then some, but luckily got in a lovely swim with plenty of space for our bivvies IMG-20240827-WA0000_edit_291178698777509.thumb.jpg.e099427d398deaf338e72ea27788bc89.jpg

I had previous in this swim having fished it last time, although there were people fishing far side so I opted to come shorter, this was a good decision. And had 2 rods on it today. And one on my banker spot. Nothing happened the first night but I had done some good big baiting and had left some line free moments (mainly because I had forgotten cutlery and plates) got back from dog walking and shopping (dog friendly garden centre) and wanged in another 8 spods on each spot, and was quite surprised when it ripped off an hour Later in the afternoon, really scrapped hard this one due to its mega paddle. 22 1/2lb IMG_20240829_180552.thumb.jpg.ea872d922c20f8a30a6e669470a87cb3.jpg

Tbc...... 

Then I had to wait till 10:30pm for the next action, after some more spods and prepping as well as I could I felt confident, we had an all day breakfast for tea, I heard what could only be described as a pair of idiots walking around the far bank shouting stuff, luckily the girls were asleep, and then just as they were close enough on the far bank my alarm went into a one toner and I was battling with a demon fish and getting heckled at the same time, they run off after never to be heard again. But after thinking it was a catfish for a long time I finally got it in after an issue with my left hand rod, it had done a 50yd run and back before I gained any control, I only got control when it got weeded up but I had to bite the other rod line and reconnect it to get it in the net. Anyway it was a cool one, 27 1/2lb and i had to wake up my daughter for the pics. She loved seeing it though. 

IMG_20240829_001340.thumb.jpg.3e29ed99e853d457f5819cdbf535c71e.jpg

Then all was quiet after a late night sorting and redoing and a couple of doubts I topped up with the rest of my spod mix and redid my banker rod and moved one back alongside the shorter rod as it was a nice clean channel. 

I had made the girls breakfast and just served my own sausage and egg sangers, one bite and the middle rod went into meltdown. My daughter netted it about the 3rd time of asking, 27 1/2lb again. 

IMG_20240829_112416_edit_42885485157632.thumb.jpg.25df7bd5e7d56b54487250f27ca3c4b0.jpg

Tbc.... 

Whilst that one was awaiting processing in the retainer, I had another bite, this one off the rod I moved and the only one not on a match the hatch wafter. (MTH Pop up 😊) lovely fish, look at that tail 21lb 1/2lb 

IMG_20240829_115602.thumb.jpg.25b169db5f041f9f4f1f42fcda23e7a9.jpg

Somewhere in all this lot I managed to lose 3 to hook pulls and one with a boulder of weed that acted as a pivot. 

And finally at just before lunch I had another run from the banker spot came in like a dog on a lead until it saw the net, then it took forever having seen it for quite a while I thought it was one of the bigguns. Turns out it was 27lb 12oz. 

IMG_20240829_125516.thumb.jpg.670b79b7fc4b0b1d616b7e11a4b5c0c4.jpg

but again what a creature all ancient looking and a real solid beast of a fish. I did lose one while this was in the retainer. But I'm not complaining. 5 fish in a session is mega and getting to share it with your kids and having a real good time too was awesome, I usually fish alone and while I love it, it is nice to share the special moments along the way. 

Also lucky to have a photographer as I had forgotten my camera 😁

13 minutes ago, yonny said:

I can imagine mate. Well done to all of ya!

How old are your little'n's if you don't mind me asking? My eldest is 5 now and I'm wondering if it's time to start taking him.

10 and 8 going on 14 i think 😬

It's worth starting off small, rods were tricky to use, a 3m whip is a good tool to start with and plenty of action, my youngest thinks fishing is boring but we convinced her to come. She claimed to not enjoy it but had loads of fun camping and messing with her sister,tablets and audiobooks are good tools for the times when you need to get stuff done, but my eldest seems to want to learn more, she now uses my baitrunner and 7ft greys rod sometimes, she gets it I think and always wants to come, she's happy just being there, I think what I am trying to say is try it and I don't think it's a bad thing, but they will either love it or not you can't force that. Good luck,

Also when you really want to go but know your misses won't allow it having a kid onside is a good tool in your armoury 😎😉

10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Also when you really want to go but know your misses won't allow it having a kid onside is a good tool in your armoury 😎😉

I used to cook Sunday dinner for around 1pm, and got to take Levi for a few hours on the whip for silvers after lunch while Liz washed up. He loved it.

Then it got to the stage of I would carry Lily and Levi's gear and rods to the park while they cycled up. When they got bored fishing they'd leave me with the rods and go for a cycle, then come back for a bit more fishing.

Hard life being left in charge fishing... 

He soon learnt to trot a freelined dog biscuit downstream for chub as well as I could, and on days I couldn't hit a bite he would manage chub to 4lb.

That was on my rod and reel as we'd just take the one between us and the other would land the fish.

I might split the 'children into fishing' to a thread of their own back in Carp Fishing, so if some posts disappear, please don't panic and I promise to try not to delete them😖

My last trip was a bit of a social with my maté’s grandson and son-in-law coming along

The lad who is 11 started when he was 9 using a whip then progressed to a float rod and feeder rod …but he never has had a fish pull back till he gave me a hand reeling in and netting a carp, was great to see the shock on his face and he went on to catch carp to 9lb…Iv masked his face in the pic wasn’t sure to show it

The guy opposite us had his daughter who was 10 years old fishing I had a chat to them and complimented her on her casting and catching her carp 

59687327-ef72-41b2-a573-4c5ca87a9219.jpeg

My lad started off when he was 5yrs old with an Octoplus Seat Box and a Float Rod, loved the fact of catching any and every fish with maggots every week up until about he was 7 when I started Carp fishing, and then he wanted the Camping side of staying out at night.

So the fishing was during the fay for us both then at night was myself ky and he had his tablet with him.

This continued until he was about 12yr and started dwindling away to his technology....now he's 14 and isn't that fussed to be honest.

Now its Football, Karate, MMA training and the odd phase on FIFA on his PS5....

I do ask him now n then if he wants to go, but he's not fussed...

So may have to introduce the Pooch back into it 😁😁

9IMG_20240511_091302_edit_1168233409130785.thumb.jpg.840bb5c4e00b2d6d0cba01b9cb24a6ab.jpg

This one was my daughters first 20lber, she cast the rod herself and dropped it just off some pads, I had gone up the track a bit to clip up my rod and it screamed off and she was playing it and shouting for me, was a fraught battle on the old trusty 7ft greys, she did really well and eventually I netted it for her, she took the photos to school and everyone was really impressed. She's not really fished since but has worked on her casting. She did try playing one on my rods last week but they are too big and heavy for her. 

On 30/08/2024 at 08:14, yonny said:

I can imagine mate. Well done to all of ya!

How old are your little'n's if you don't mind me asking? My eldest is 5 now and I'm wondering if it's time to start taking him.

Took mine for weekend trips from the ages of around 3 onwards, took life jackets, they loved it, finding newts - picking berries, catching tidlers - fun fun fun

Neither fish now though so maybe I got it wrong, but both love being by water still, so I'll take that as a minor win 🤷‍♂️

What woman wouldn't want you to take the kids away for a while, any that refuse must be bonkers!