New purchases

B B

trakker_sanctuary_t3_landing_net_new_1.thumb.webp.5663b4b7e973a2880ca193a2f42e18dc.webp

My old 36" landing net got chewed by rats a good few years ago and I replaced the arms and net to a 42". Unfortunately I went cheap and got some plastic arms that sagged every time I went to lift a fish. Finally bit the bullet and bought a Trakker T3.

aqua-products-black-series-neoprene-bivvy-mat-xl.webp.aa93f4670e43b0c3fd3f4e56b3412a8a.webp

Although I have got a bivvy, I still prefer the speed and convenience of a brolly system. The ground sheet is a half size which is OK in the summer but with an overwrap being used in the colder and wetter months, the front area could be a bit of a quagmire. I've got the extra large which is 1300 x 650 mm which should be ample. I did try a couple of old rubber car mats out last time but they were heavy and dug into the ground and took a lot of washing off when I got home.

Well it is my birthday coming up soon and all the family don't know what to buy me so I've made it easy for them!

2 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

Although I have got a bivvy, I still prefer the speed and convenience of a brolly system. The ground sheet is a half size which is OK in the summer but with an overwrap being used in the colder and wetter months, the front area could be a bit of a quagmire. I've got the extra large which is 1300 x 650 mm which should be ample. I did try a couple of old rubber car mats out last time but they were heavy and dug into the ground and took a lot of washing off when I got home.

I prefer a brolly system as well, although mine is the Rod Hutchinson Cabrio Hybrid Brolly and extension porch. It's massive, I can actually put the bedchair from under the spokes to the feet end being by the door. That gives me room for everything along the side with a walkway/chair space in the middle. I've tried it the other way round, but end up with a rain drenched head...

The groundsheet is an umbrella section, with a 'fill-in' front section for the extension, which I don't always use in summer, unless I'm over goose or sheep doo.

I'm debating switching from my The Ones to 2.75lb Enduro rods, mostly because the varnish is starting to go on my The Ones.

Already bought them, they're just sat waiting...

4 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

bought a Trakker T3.

Looks great, but the one i had the collar snapped on the spigot second time out. Tried to get a replacement and got ignored.. off the bay and Trakker, I had no response from either..

I don't buy any of their gear out of principal now.

I'd be interested to see how you get on with it???

Gotta replace my Shimano Spod reel it's almost ceased up 3 times now, difficult or impossible to turn the handle, but you can manually turn the front and it isn't old by any means, really disappointed in it tbh  My mates replacing his too as he's now expecting future trouble with it and has read other complaints online.  Seems they have lesser internals than the fishing reels.  For me it's like there's no grease in there and no local people doing servicing any more.  Will try to service myself and keep as a spare.

Think we're getting XTB's or something 200 each new, un-used but second hand that he's found online.

It's the most important set-up, I cast that more than anything every trip, so an upgrade seems sensible but an unexpected expense 👎

Money that I could be spending on go faster stripes for my baitboat lol - only kidding 🤣

2 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Gotta replace my Shimano Spod reel it's almost ceased up 3 times now, difficult or impossible to turn the handle, but you can manually turn the front and it isn't old by any means, really disappointed in it tbh  My mates replacing his too as he's now expecting future trouble with it and has read other complaints online.  Seems they have lesser internals than the fishing reels.  For me it's like there's no grease in there and no local people doing servicing any more.  Will try to service myself and keep as a spare.

Think we're getting XTB's or something 200 each new, un-used but second hand that he's found online.

It's the most important set-up, I cast that more than anything every trip, so an upgrade seems sensible but an unexpected expense 👎

Money that I could be spending on go faster stripes for my baitboat lol - only kidding 🤣

I was thinking changing Spod Reel too, looking at the Aerlex XTB but heard a few people say the Bailarm sometimes closes mid cast and causes crack offs 

1 minute ago, Highy said:

I was thinking changing Spod Reel too, looking at the Aerlex XTB but heard a few people say the Bailarm sometimes closes mid cast and causes crack offs 

We are going for the fishing reels expecting better quality internal components but you lose a little bit of retrieve speed.  Will let you know what I get.  👍

31 minutes ago, Highy said:

They do do that, and I find quite often too, apparently you can remove the thing that makes it happen, but I haven't got round to it yet but I wouldn't buy another one when this one dies. 

30 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

We are going for the fishing reels expecting better quality internal components but you lose a little bit of retrieve speed.  Will let you know what I get.  👍

Can get a decent XTB for £40-£50

I'm hoping keep it Shimano match my reels 👍

Was looking at the XTD Spod Reel....£100+ decent 2nd Hand 😱

Edited by Highy

On 05/10/2023 at 10:27, kevtaylor said:

Gotta replace my Shimano Spod reel it's almost ceased up 3 times now, difficult or impossible to turn the handle, but you can manually turn the front and it isn't old by any means, really disappointed in it tbh  My mates replacing his too as he's now expecting future trouble with it and has read other complaints online.  Seems they have lesser internals than the fishing reels. 

On 05/10/2023 at 21:52, kevtaylor said:

Well mines been a pain since day one or every time it rains seemingly 👎

My fishing reels, shimmy lc big pit baitrunners are faultless and will not miss a beat, only serviced twice in over 20 years.

They dont make them like that anymore.

On 05/10/2023 at 10:31, Highy said:

If you want a bulletproof spod reel, go old school:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225802633024?hash=item3492e2bf40:g:eIoAAOSwGJllHYBP&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwEaDJzcdq1D%2ByJmTj%2BWCltx2oau%2BpCfQUZ6D0OSNQWgHd5D981ssJhU0EIbF3g5cUQdEVXDG%2Fs3AnmwntBrfKzTDXPiXUg7lrtuRDiP7ymZqYIpI6D1qoJ%2Fv6n3vp0Cez1JfFldcFuBm%2Fz4chib0u9%2B%2F5H0MlCGnh5fX7P1pJNS07Flt%2BX%2FJ0MT14%2BavXsnK8D6ipBQKSEV%2BUIy9rvZtRJq7pzZBcWkRoH2m2%2BPWQ6Mdfd86MK0PddreAd8g5YIPFQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5D1i5jjYg

I'd also have a search (ebay search Shimano Aerlex) and see if anymore come up. They hold their price better than new ones!

The older Shimano models are so much better than the current ones.

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Nice one Nick, think I'm going for one of the actual fishing reels in the XTB range, said to have better internal components than the spod version, will cost more but should be a lot better - fingers crossed.

I think the 8000 size of the Aerlex are a bit on the small size for fast retrieve, but like you say bulletproof! 👍

37 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I think the 8000 size of the Aerlex are a bit on the small size for fast retrieve, but like you say bulletproof! 👍

I still use mine for spodding on my proper spod rod, the marker/spod rod has a Beastmaster 7000 XTA on it.

I'm trying to work out when Shimano went so wrong with quality.

The original DL10000's weren't as robust as their Baitrunner predecessors and I bought mine around 2009, yet the Beastmasters I think I bought 6 or 7 years ago and are the danglies, but not the top range, more bargain basement. In fact I think the ST10000 are a better bet than the next price model.

13 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I still use mine for spodding on my proper spod rod, the marker/spod rod has a Beastmaster 7000 XTA on it.

I'm trying to work out when Shimano went so wrong with quality.

The original DL10000's weren't as robust as their Baitrunner predecessors and I bought mine around 2009, yet the Beastmasters I think I bought 6 or 7 years ago and are the danglies, but not the top range, more bargain basement. In fact I think the ST10000 are a better bet than the next price model.

Not 100% - but I think these are the ones I like most from the past, could be wrong but at over 2k for a 2nd hand set - probably won't be getting any.

Shimano Aero Technium XTA 12000