Loosing due to weeds

Jordz611

Hello fellow anglers 

been out out on bank/canal today in a recently raked clear spot seen the fish quite a few i   had 2 runs. Decent ones till …. They just want  to sit in the weeds ive tryed everything waders and boats aint aloud. So thats a no go but tryed  walking backwards going higher  and just seems like they get lucky and get off any advice would be greatly appreciated 

1A8D19D2-4898-4FD3-92B4-E74D308B8D75.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Jordz611 said:

Hello fellow anglers 

been out out on bank/canal today in a recently raked clear spot seen the fish quite a few i   had 2 runs. Decent ones till …. They just want  to sit in the weeds ive tryed everything waders and boats aint aloud. So thats a no go but tryed  walking backwards going higher  and just seems like they get lucky and get off any advice would be greatly appreciated 

1A8D19D2-4898-4FD3-92B4-E74D308B8D75.jpeg

Something I do , Jordz , on my lake is to strike , jump up , and run backwards . I hustle the fish away from any snags , and then start the standard " pumping " action and reeling in .

I know it sounds / looks weird , but my thinking is as soon as I drop the rod tip , even if I manage to synch. my reeling in I'm going to allow the fish to take some line .

In addition some anglers " drop the lead " to help get the fish higher in the water and above the weed .

Hope some of this helps .

😃

31 minutes ago, Jordz611 said:

Ye i dont want to drop the lead tbh even tho probably the best idea i did let the fish take some line witch i probably shouldnt of done ahha but ye i will learn by mistake as knowing my luck i lost probably 2 decent fish today ! 

I've just remembered , I think I read that if you are losing fish in weed use a bigger hook .

What size hook are you using , Jordz ? . 

Hi mate, get comfy a chair beside your pod would help, get all that bait and your drink in the pic and any food near the chair so there’s no need to walk away from your rods to get anything your close when you get the run, your on it straight away, some line can be stretchy also rods can be floppy which would give the carp a head start on getting in the snags. If your line is up to it thumb on the spool and rod high,  very exciting fishing. 
You got to stay within arms distance of the rods all the time tho  

Best of luck  👍

I'm not one for dropping leads, rarely found the need even on very weedy waters.

I am as close to my rods as possible, and have my alarms sensitivity very high on my Delkims (other vibration alarms are available). 

Try not to let the fish get into the weed in the first place, stepping back to strike and play fish helps, and can actually pull them 'off balance'.

I had one fish last season that as I struck you could see it turn on its side as I had unbalanced it, and 2minutes later it was in the net, a 23lb common that usually fought much better.

Admittedly I was fishing about 10metres out, so it never really got up any steam.

Hook size, I'm usually on 4 and 6's, and bait in weed tends to be balanced to just lift the hook up, so buoyant, but not mega pop-up.

In the weed short hairs, bait tight to the back of the hook, so a D-rig, ring on the shank or multi-rig.

Personal opinion, I found a standard Ronnie rig too heavy. The counterweight could pull the hook and bait down into the weed, reducing hook-ups as the hook is masked.

Yesterday myself and a mate were out....

Our lake has snags running down the left side.

Mate - Red, Me - Yellow

Screenshot_20230419_083340_Maps.thumb.jpg.f582e71e793cf3dd1b73d4dfa1ed4f9a.jpg

He skipped the 1st peg and went into the 2nd peg, just to get the Angle to pull/bully/walk back with the fish on....

He managed 3 bites, but each was a lost fish, he did everything right, locked up, sat on rods....the lot.

18lb Line, Heli setup, size 4 hook, slow sinking corn.

Edited by Highy

46 minutes ago, Highy said:

Yesterday myself and a mate were out....

Our lake has snags running down the left side.

Mate - Red, Me - Yellow

Screenshot_20230419_083340_Maps.thumb.jpg.f582e71e793cf3dd1b73d4dfa1ed4f9a.jpg

He skipped the 1st peg and went into the 2nd peg, just to get the Angle to pull/bully/walk back with the fish on....

He managed 3 bites, but each was a lost fish, he did everything right, locked up, sat on rods....the lot.

Sounds pretty much like my day im at the hospital at the moment  then gonna go get some tackle from the store then get back to the peg i was on yesterday and see if they are still wanting to play out 

Good set of weelies so you can go knee Deep in the edge figure out where they run to and hold tight until they turn for open water then give a little slack to let them release the pressure holding them, your hooks need to be up to yonny standards most fish are lost due to blowing the hook mid run I have had that happen a few times.

How big are the fish likely to be? 

I rarely use anything less than a 4 tbh, I've done quite a bit of hit n hold fishing in the last few years and you need a strong hook (korda X range have never let me down yet and Gardner muggas are pretty hardcore ) , be on the rods, don't give em an inch, walk back as soon as you pick up the rod, and the one gamechanging thing for me was DROPPING LEADS, I lost a few gooduns before I bit the bullet(i am still haunted by the big common I lost) and now tail rubber is always on loose the fish just get higher in the water quicker and they are less likely to get nose deep in weed for the sake of 80p or whatever its well worth it in my book. 

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

How big are the fish likely to be? 

I rarely use anything less than a 4 tbh, I've done quite a bit of hit n hold fishing in the last few years and you need a strong hook (korda X range have never let me down yet and Gardner muggas are pretty hardcore ) , be on the rods, don't give em an inch, walk back as soon as you pick up the rod, and the one gamechanging thing for me was DROPPING LEADS, I lost a few gooduns before I bit the bullet(i am still haunted by the big common I lost) and now tail rubber is always on loose the fish just get higher in the water quicker and they are less likely to get nose deep in weed for the sake of 80p or whatever its well worth it in my book. 

I use size 8/6 korda rigs either krank or carp rigs with a bb or purty to hold my pop up down so the full rig cant float  suns out roday gonna get the polaroids out and go see whats about rhis morni g there a few big carp in ther 30 something is biggest i think  an 10 for tench 

22 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

Good set of weelies so you can go knee Deep in the edge figure out where they run to and hold tight until they turn for open water then give a little slack to let them release the pressure holding them, your hooks need to be up to yonny standards most fish are lost due to blowing the hook mid run I have had that happen a few times.

I think in weed that 'blowing the hook mid run', is where it hasn't penetrated past the point, and falls out, the hook may be masked by weed. A barbed hook is often worst for this, so a barbless or crimped barb hook can be a better hooker.

13 hours ago, Jordz611 said:

I asked they waters bayliff his advice also he said 4 is way too big   As I recommended using a 4 to him and he said no 6/8 

A size 6 is the smallest I would go, try Gardner Muggas or Solar 101's, on a Multi-rig.

On 19/04/2023 at 08:37, Highy said:

I really don't like helicopter setups in weed, bite indication is 'slow', hookholds can be funny, and lost fish can be the result.

I've found that inline or pendant setups far better at hooking fish.

13 hours ago, Jordz611 said:

I asked they waters bayliff his advice also he said 4 is way too big   As I recommended using a 4 to him and he said no 6/8 

Try to 'streamline' your rigs, a counterbalance shot can get caught up in weed,  where a match anglers olivette has no 'edge'. 

I try not to use any balance weight, the hook matched to the bait size, so I frequently trim pop-ups to get it exactly right.

On 20/04/2023 at 09:12, salokcinnodrog said:

I think in weed that 'blowing the hook mid run', is where it hasn't penetrated past the point, and falls out, the hook may be masked by weed. A barbed hook is often worst for this, so a barbless or crimped barb hook can be a better hooker.

A size 6 is the smallest I would go, try Gardner Muggas or Solar 101's, on a Multi-rig.

I really don't like helicopter setups in weed, bite indication is 'slow', hookholds can be funny, and lost fish can be the result.

I've found that inline or pendant setups far better at hooking fish.

Try to 'streamline' your rigs, a counterbalance shot can get caught up in weed,  where a match anglers olivette has no 'edge'. 

I try not to use any balance weight, the hook matched to the bait size, so I frequently trim pop-ups to get it exactly right.

Spent few hours raking yesterday to fish tonght just cought the first of year no weeds absolutely made up my hard work work oaying iff larl tenchie

A92A1222-17F7-4E1F-8F7A-5DB787E5C1FA.jpeg