Simplicity Wins

Pennywise74

9 minutes ago, Pennywise74 said:

No I just meant I gave rig’s more thought over the years than I needed to when what I had worked fine 

I agree with that to some extent, but if you have all the other anglers all doing the same then you may want or need to be slightly different.

I have to go back to Brackens on Nazeing, the majority of the anglers on there when I joined were all 'knotless knot' on whatever coated braid, with either fake corn or single boilie on the hook and very few freebies around.

I had spoken to anglers who had fished the lake, and wanted to be different in both approaches; I wanted to fish over bait, (hence massive 20-30boilie stringers), and a different rig.

The rig was easy enough, either a combi rig, braid and Amnesia or coated braid with a stripped section. The hooking arrangement is where I varied from standard, line aligned hook, with a free running sliding ring on the shank stopped from going round the bend by a hook bead.

That gave me the option of changing hair length, and 'reset' with a snowman bait.

I'm pretty positive for such a cute pressured water my catches were better than most.

4 minutes ago, Pennywise74 said:

In that situation for me I would either go home or try another part of the lake and try and pick up the odd fish that hasn’t followed the masses as I don’t believe all fish follow the same pattern 

That’s the point 

not everyone can be in the right place sometimes it’s fish elsewhere or go home

every video anyone watcheS all talk about location location location but in the real world it can always be and something has to give 

if you can’t get in the right place then you need an effective rig and bait and a little bit of hope lol

13 minutes ago, framey said:

That’s the point 

not everyone can be in the right place sometimes it’s fish elsewhere or go home

every video anyone watcheS all talk about location location location but in the real world it can always be and something has to give 

if you can’t get in the right place then you need an effective rig and bait and a little bit of hope lol

So true, every lake no matter the size always has two flying pegs and you need to puff the pigeon chest out and stake a claim, i had to change my approach to angling due to one too many peg confrontations, luckily i only fish small waters so the fish move around the whole lake, just need to put something real nice out in a area they are comfy to hand around in, it is why i'm thinking about making up a water conditioning spod mix, fish love aloe vera they will sit in a cloud of the vera.

2 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

So true, every lake no matter the size always has two flying pegs and you need to puff the pigeon chest out and stake a claim, i had to change my approach to angling due to one too many peg confrontations, luckily i only fish small waters so the fish move around the whole lake, just need to put something real nice out in a area they are comfy to hand around in, it is why i'm thinking about making up a water conditioning spod mix, fish love aloe vera they will sit in a cloud of the vera.

Brackens was one of those small waters, only 2 acres but with around 12 or 14 pegs. Any more than 4 anglers on there the fish would switch off in many swims and 'hide' in the corners, when only 3 swims would give you a chance.

The ' no free baiting' rule (catapults, throwing sticks and spots were banned), made things very hard, and you had to get your hookbait right into the corners, either under the undercut bank or tight under the overhanging branches. 

• 2 months later...

Wow, it shows me how different I am.

I remember the first hair rigs and how effective they were in their day etc. 

But for the past 20 odd years I have used two rigs almost exclusively, one for anything remotely buoyant, the other for true bottom baits and these are coupled with either free running standard lead or free running helicopter set up. 

One is the so called 360 that I stole accidentally from its inventor and the other I don't know its name but its semi complicated and I have not seen mention of it. 

What I will say is I am convinced that if an average sized upwards carp picks either up, its curtains for that carp.

1 hour ago, levigsp said:

Its to complicated for most people to bother with not sure whats its called but was invented by Townley. 

Uses ring hooks, separate hair etc. When I lay my hands on one of my rigs Ill take a photo and post.

Is it this one?

Screenshot_20220411-155118_Facebook.jpg

If it is, it is on his Haith's Maize blog

34 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Was it Terry Eustace (gold label tackle) that did these? Think I've got a few packs hidden away somewhere thinking that is what hook was used for the 360 rig. 

IIRC It used to be a jrc hook for the 360 because Dave lane was with them at the time

8 hours ago, emmcee said:

Was it Terry Eustace (gold label tackle) that did these? Think I've got a few packs hidden away somewhere thinking that is what hook was used for the 360 rig. 

Yes and VMC amongst others for the dropdown rig not 360 £60 rig uses curved shank hook and a swivel, not a ring.

Edited by levigsp