New here and out of ideas!

Hi all,

Ive stumbled upon this forum due to scanning the internet for more info so thought i would join up and have a look around and help others if i can!

In all honesty im completely stumped atm. I joined a new water at the start of this year as its a massive new challenge  me. Its 20 acre park lark with next to no features an average depth of 5-6 feet and a small hole thats roughly 7ft deep, no weed just silt. Average fish size is 17-18lbs and they go up to the 30 mark.

Im wondering if any of you have any new ideas or can point me where i am going wrong, this year ive only caught 1 from the lake at 25lb and 2 runs.... its not an easy water even though it isnt exactly low stock. The fish very rarely show them selves and ive spent countless evenings and mornings stareing at the lake. Just when i think i can see a pattern with the wind and the catches it decides to do the opposite 😂

So ive tried fishing bags, with dead maggots and pellets, which produced me 2 runs, i belive i could have actually hit these too early as both times when i picked the rod up there was nothing, my go too rig atm is the heli with iq D with a size 6 gardner mugga, either with slow sinking maze or wafters. Which has produced my only fish and i have started tinkering with a ronnie on the lead clip and once the lead has hit the deck i pull it back abit to unplug it, only because ive seen others using this and catching.

What would you guys reccomend changing? I was thinking of swapping the iq2 on the heli to a semi stiff coated braid? And haveing the lead clip free running and trying it with a bottom bait?

Very long introduction/question so thanks for taking the time to read! Also if anyone is from the leeds area and wants a fishing buddy feel free to message 👍 my mates are more into their golf, which atm seems very tempting!

10 hours ago, Adam92 said:

Hi all,

Ive stumbled upon this forum due to scanning the internet for more info so thought i would join up and have a look around and help others if i can!

In all honesty im completely stumped atm. I joined a new water at the start of this year as its a massive new challenge  me. Its 20 acre park lark with next to no features an average depth of 5-6 feet and a small hole thats roughly 7ft deep, no weed just silt. Average fish size is 17-18lbs and they go up to the 30 mark.

Im wondering if any of you have any new ideas or can point me where i am going wrong, this year ive only caught 1 from the lake at 25lb and 2 runs.... its not an easy water even though it isnt exactly low stock. The fish very rarely show them selves and ive spent countless evenings and mornings stareing at the lake. Just when i think i can see a pattern with the wind and the catches it decides to do the opposite 😂

So ive tried fishing bags, with dead maggots and pellets, which produced me 2 runs, i belive i could have actually hit these too early as both times when i picked the rod up there was nothing, my go too rig atm is the heli with iq D with a size 6 gardner mugga, either with slow sinking maze or wafters. Which has produced my only fish and i have started tinkering with a ronnie on the lead clip and once the lead has hit the deck i pull it back abit to unplug it, only because ive seen others using this and catching.

What would you guys reccomend changing? I was thinking of swapping the iq2 on the heli to a semi stiff coated braid? And haveing the lead clip free running and trying it with a bottom bait?

Very long introduction/question so thanks for taking the time to read! Also if anyone is from the leeds area and wants a fishing buddy feel free to message 👍 my mates are more into their golf, which atm seems very tempting!

Hi Adam, 

Sounds abit like my local park lake this.... Same here, I've had 4 fish out my lake since August 2020, the water is around 4/5ft with about 2ft silt, I've started to use the Heli safe Tubing Kit, I've used lead clip in past also, using a semi stiff boom with water Hookbait. 

Sound like you putting the hours in on your watercraft, what do others say about the place?? Is it an open park Lake, meaning can ANYONE (FOREIGN) fish it? Does it get pressured much? 

25lb fish is a decent 1st fish from there. 

Hi pal cheers for the reply

The park is public however the lake is leased and run by a few lads, since 2019 so youve got to book on etc, cant just turn up to fish which is good. Its very well run tbf they only let 20 anglers on at a time too, obvisouly its usually full at weekends. 

The lads that consitently catch are the guys that fish it religously and fished it before it was taken over so hats off to them, feel too cheeky to ask exactly what they are doing. the non regulars always mention how hard it is when i walk round and talk to them, alot of people do have a long run of blanks

Just wanting to find something that really works before winter kicks in so that i have top confidence on the freezeing nights 😂

14 hours ago, Adam92 said:

What would you guys reccomend changing?

Your approach.

The rigs you're using are fine (assuming the spots you're fishing are suited to them). I don't think your issue is related to rigs or hookbaits. Changing from fluoro to coated braid achieves nothing imo, and there is not a carp that swims that wont eat dead maggots and pellets. It sounds like your issue relates to location.

14 hours ago, Adam92 said:

The fish very rarely show them selves and ive spent countless evenings and mornings stareing at the lake.

Carp always give themselves away if you look hard enough mate. It might be worth sacrificing some fishing time to really figure it out. Pop down without rods and and get round the lake, up any trees, just looking for those subtle signs (fizzing, tail patterns etc). Figure out where any weed or silt beds are. Have a lead about where the S/W winds blow. Ultimately you need to find the areas the carp like, else you're just guessing every time.

Have you tried consistently introducing a little bait in an area? If not, maybe give that it a go.

32 minutes ago, yonny said:

Your approach.

The rigs you're using are fine (assuming the spots you're fishing are suited to them). I don't think your issue is related to rigs or hookbaits. Changing from fluoro to coated braid achieves nothing imo, and there is not a carp that swims that wont eat dead maggots and pellets. It sounds like your issue relates to location.

See at first i thought the same, but i seem to get very stange indications aswell as liners, so ill have my rods out all 3 on a baited spot and ill get the odd bleep on all of them, ive had clear liners to which ill move 2 of the rods back and still get the odd bleep, ive tried lifting after just one bleep and ive also left the bobbin to drop back and rise again before picking up and ive even completely left it to which nothing materialises, tried tight and slack lines which makes me think maybe wrong hook pattern and the hooks not setting.

41 minutes ago, yonny said:

Carp always give themselves away if you look hard enough mate. It might be worth sacrificing some fishing time to really figure it out. Pop down without rods and and get round the lake, up any trees, just looking for those subtle signs (fizzing, tail patterns etc). Figure out where any weed or silt beds are. Have a lead about where the S/W winds blow. Ultimately you need to find the areas the carp like, else you're just guessing every time.

The carp always seem to be on the move, the only other fish in are little chub and on an evening these are VERY active, it can be hard to tell if small fish or carp being very carefull, even when i do see a carp come fully out ill cast the closest rod too it and still nothing.

There is regularly bait going in all over the lake from pretty much every peg, ive tried fishing on baited spots and also positioning rods just off of baited spots, with lads next door at the same range still produceing fish. They seem to be everywhere apart from on my hook 😂

The park lake I go is owned by the council but fishing is FREE, few people call them selves "Friends of 3 Sisters" maintain the trees and grass, but don't really challenge the fishing, us fishermen do it our selves. We also keep our eye on the Foregin folks too. 

Screenshot_20211011_111432.thumb.jpg.19533cbb72e8465f87608c57a8ad880b.jpg

Yellow line is Fishing side only, you do get the odd 1/2 trying luck on other side, no really supposed to fish more than half way, but we do to the tree line, Blue line

Red circle is about 2-3ft in depth, Green circle is about 4ft in depth, Pink circle is 5ft but I know 1 part of it right at back drops to 6ft deep to a 6ft channel gully. 

ALL the lake is covered in silt all the way across (about 1 1/2ft) I've actually walked across the middle of the lake in my waders. 

The orange lines are old sunken Jettys that used to be there. 

Anywhere on this lake is decent but the do really love the sun when it's out and the depths/snags at night 

I was here at weekend and was down the shallower end. 

1 hour ago, Adam92 said:

ive tried lifting after just one bleep and ive also left the bobbin to drop back and rise again before picking up and ive even completely left it to which nothing materialises, tried tight and slack lines which makes me think maybe wrong hook pattern and the hooks not setting.

Whack a pop up out and just leave it until you get a full blown take 👍👍👍

Is it just dead maggots and pellets you have tried? 

If it is silty like you say these baits may soak up the nasty odours of the silt and not be so appealing to eat, if it were me I would probably start baiting a quiet area on the sly of possible, I would use lot of boilies and pellets and I would find a decent liquid to soak them in, this will stop them sucking up the silty smelling liquid for longer and should mean your freebies are more attractive, also if you use a good hydrolysate, it should also leech into the silt and make the fish want to grub around to find whatever is there, 

I used to think the fish didn't show themselves in my water, but once you get in tune with it you start to see more and more shows, 

Use a bait you have confidence in, a rig you know works and then find the fish, that is all you need to catch em honest 😂

Don't be afraid to ask,sensible anglers (in my experience) will help you out or point you in the right direction. 

I've just been camping on a new venue for the last two years. I'm definitely not a regular, but slowly gaining the knowledge. 

I love the challenge of a new decent water, if it was easy I think I would quickly lose interest.

Not that I've caught much lately, but having been down the road of changing too many elements on new venues. I found that can really knock your confidence & more often than not go back to my own way. I prefer to keep my fishing simple. 

You're either on them, or your not. As they say it's called fishing, not catching

6 hours ago, yonny said:

Whack a pop up out and just leave it until you get a full blown take 👍👍👍

Aye got some soaking right now 😂

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Is it just dead maggots and pellets you have tried? 

If it is silty like you say these baits may soak up the nasty odours of the silt and not be so appealing to eat, if it were me I would probably start baiting a quiet area on the sly of possible, I would use lot of boilies and pellets and I would find a decent liquid to soak them in, this will stop them sucking up the silty smelling liquid for longer and should mean your freebies are more attractive, also if you use a good hydrolysate, it should also leech into the silt and make the fish want to grub around to find whatever is there, 

I used to think the fish didn't show themselves in my water, but once you get in tune with it you start to see more and more shows, 

Use a bait you have confidence in, a rig you know works and then find the fish, that is all you need to catch em honest 😂

Tried dead maggots, corn, hemp, chilli hemp, boilies absoloutely allsorts mixed together 😂

My fave was sticky bloodworm and with it being silty i didnt see any reason to change, its just not produceing 🤷‍♂️

Cheers for all your replies lads appreciate it

5 minutes ago, commonly said:

Don't be afraid to ask,sensible anglers (in my experience) will help you out or point you in the right direction. 

See im more than happy to help anyone out in this situation but when it comes to asking myself i feel too cheeky especially when theyve put there own hard work in, plus if i do ever get it right and have a red letter day, it would be my hardwork and not somebody elses 😂

14 minutes ago, Adam92 said:

See im more than happy to help anyone out in this situation but when it comes to asking myself i feel too cheeky especially when theyve put there own hard work in, plus if i do ever get it right and have a red letter day, it would be my hardwork and not somebody elses 😂

I find whenever I follow other peoples advice on the lake It doesn't work out as well, obviously not the guys on here they have helped me loads 😉

Stick at it, keep learning and it will come good and you will appreciate it more when it does 👍

As for bait they should all work in the right place, I've been using the sticky bloodworm pellets recently in bags and I've caught using them , if you have the bloodworm boilies, it may be worth soaking them in a mix of water and hydrolysates are you using a ready-made or freezer bait?

I like to soak my boilies for 24 hours before I go to soften them up a bit I find they eat them quicker if they are washed out, liver or a fish hydro seem to work well, sticky also do a bloodworm liquid I think 

12 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

As for bait they should all work in the right place, I've been using the sticky bloodworm pellets recently in bags and I've caught using them , if you have the bloodworm boilies, it may be worth soaking them in a mix of water and hydrolysates are you using a ready-made or freezer bait?

I like to soak my boilies for 24 hours before I go to soften them up a bit I find they eat them quicker if they are washed out, liver or a fish hydro seem to work well, sticky also do a bloodworm liquid I think 

Yeah they do a liquid 😂 and its worked on other venues for me 😂 ive tried literally everything in the bloodworm range on this lake, unfortunately its shelf life im using, you can come try and convice my pregnant fiancé to let me use the freezer if you like? 😂😂

1 hour ago, Adam92 said:

Yeah they do a liquid 😂 and its worked on other venues for me 😂 ive tried literally everything in the bloodworm range on this lake, unfortunately its shelf life im using, you can come try and convice my pregnant fiancé to let me use the freezer if you like? 😂😂

She might start eating them if she gets the cravings, keep them safe 😂

Just soak them in a cup of hot water and some of the bloodworm liquid for a day or so that will soften them up nicely I think, I honestly think it makes a difference so I do it everytime now 🤔

I'm using Sticky Krill at moment, glug them in the Krill liquid food glug, then coat them Krill Active mix powder... If they sit in silt, there will always be an attraction falling off them. 

I put 3/4 Boilies in the edge at weekend, wish I'd taken a picture, as the mix was falling off and leaving attraction all around the boilie...

12 hours ago, elmoputney said:

She might start eating them if she gets the cravings, keep them safe 😂

Atleast someone/something will 😂 ive managed to convince her to let me use the bottom draw and ive got a few kilo coming tonight from a local supplier ibe had an eye on recently, plus alot of the folk use him at the lake im fishing, going to try a diffrent hook pattern on my heli, going for one with an outturned eye to open the gape up a little so 🤞

11 hours ago, Highy said:

I'm using Sticky Krill at moment, glug them in the Krill liquid food glug, then coat them Krill Active mix powder... If they sit in silt, there will always be an attraction falling off them. 

I put 3/4 Boilies in the edge at weekend, wish I'd taken a picture, as the mix was falling off and leaving attraction all around the boilie...

Might add a few krill to the mix on the next trip 👌

Edited by Adam92

Lots of pointers to go at there mate, i fish a deep silty park lake, one thing I do is use a marker lead with prongs when checking spots and I cut grooves into my lead to bring back some of the silt. I can then give it a quick sniff and see what it’s like. If it smells neutral then I’m happy to fish over it, if it smells offensive or “sour” then I won’t. If it’s “fine” silt then all good, if it’s leafy and gunky, then I stay away as I find carp in my lake won’t feed over it. If you bring in some bloodworms then so much the better! The carp will feed head down in the (correct) silt, so having my bait in amongst the soupy silt doesn’t bother me. 

Those small indications are likely to be chub. 

Keep putting in plenty of bait, but avoid the maggots, it is probably them attracting the chub, instead get on a good food source shelf life bait. (Crafty Catcher King Prawn, Rod Hutchinson KMG, Infusion or others are available, but those are some I know will work). 

Location, location, location! 

I bet you the fish do show, silt patches, clouding up, bubbling and the obvious rolls or backs breaking the surface. Silt feeding fish do have a tendency to roll, or even jump, it's them clearing the gills after feeding on a spot. 

Look for natural food, bloodworm, snails and the like; leading around can help find them. 

Don't feel embarrassed about asking other anglers for advice, more on baits, or rigs, gently but not too deeply on location. They can only say no. 

You don't necessarily need pop ups, my lake is silty in places (and weedy), but from silty spots I have caught on bottom baits with inline leads and bottom baits from areas rich in bloodworm. 

And welcome to Carp.com 

17 hours ago, greekskii said:

Id be inclined to try 3 chods or stiff hinges spread around and stick a big spread of bait out. You can move them around quickly and easily on showing fish. 

Chods are probably the only rig i havent actually tried yet, so will wack one out!

Cheers for all the replies lads! Some good pointers to try! Ive got a batch of the bait all the anglers are catching on and its very garlicy so gonna get a pot of diffrent hookbaits together and glug in a garlicy flavour, if anyone has any reccomendations of their faveourite garlic? 

1 hour ago, Adam92 said:

Cif anyone has any reccomendations of their faveourite garlic? 

Not cheap but you'll struggle to find a better garlic hookbait:

http://specializedhookbaits.co.uk/products/gpb1/

An alternative would be to glug any old half decent hookbait in the Garlic Goo. I have a pal that swears by that stuff.

Edited by yonny