How much rest after spawning?

jh92

How much rest do you give the carp before fishing for them again?

Most of my waters started spawning last week and over the weekend. I usually give them a week to recover, but spoke to a few people and now they are recommending 2 weeks minimum rest after spawning.

I’ve been walking my local lake everyday for the last week and they’ve got from crashing, chasing each other around the margins to nowhere to be seen, I take it they are either resting or getting their heads down looking for food?

What is the correct amount of time to give them to rest before fishing again?

I wish the fisheries would shut during this period and open again when they are done and it’s good to fish again because else it just makes it all confusing 😂

As you can probably tell I’m keen to get back on the bank 😂

Not every fish spawns at the same time, some don't at all! 

My personal view, is just don't fish for spawning fish. 

On Ardleigh back years ago, I had a 13lb heavily scaled mirror from the mouth of a small bay where they would spawn, I had seen other fish splashing along the bank. 2 hours later I caught a 24 battle scarred warrior from an area 100 metres away, middle of the reservoir that had not been in the splashing fish. 

The 13lb mirror was munching on the spawn, there was no dripping milt or eggs, the 24lb mirror was built, but again was not dripping. It did not look empty, but was eating. 

At Brackens I caught a 20lb male that was pouring out milt, yet I know that they did not go into full spawning mode as mid afternoon just after they started, the weather turned cold with severe thunderstorms. 3 weeks later with no more warmer weather around, 12 fish went belly up, spawn bound after an oxygen crash. 

I've watched fish spawning, and despite getting heavily battered, scales etc, within a week, most damage is healing. 

The best person to ask is @levigsp

shame levigsp and others don't post anymore I have caught good fish after reading levigsp's posts, I started using heavy fluorocarbon with great results after reading posts on here , would love to know his thoughts on fussy carp that will only eat what they really like whilst ignoring a good but made for retail use bait. 

are carp that don't need to compete for a feed a bite time fussy eaters?

• 11 months later...

Nearly 12 months for this Topic (obviously 😄)....any water's started Spawning for people yet....

A few round near me have, some you can see are starting to pair up....

So....is it worth leaving it now until around start of June, or if did go, is it worth fishing just in the middle of a lake out of reach of the spawning carp?.

This is getting interesting from my viewpoint as one of our syndicate managers thinks that the carp might have spawned out of sight of the angler's on the lake last week in a different area from usual.

Last year at this time, the weed was a lot thicker up near the island and shallows. 

I was fishing there last week and kept a close eye on them for 2 days until they disappeared, so I  moved into slightly deeper water where I thought my presence had pushed them. The manager thinks that they spawned halfway along the lake in the rushes that this time last year was dry land. An area that was out of sight as the point island obscures my view and that of the other angler present. (Heavily fished this syndicate lake, only 2 on midweek...😂

😉)

Today Bruce and I walked all the way round and seen fish in a couple of areas that they haven't been in for months, that they don't return to usually until after spawning.

So do you shut the lake or not, not knowing how or whether they have spawned or not?

depends on the size of the lake really, a 10 acer lake just needs the anglers to not fish into spawning areas smaller waters might need to close, i'm going to get out at least once more before june they i've thought british carp a few generations in may spawn earlier than they did 20 years back. 

my club lake only had me on doing overnight, few other anglers doing the evening. the other big lake hardly had anyone on, had a good look around that, said to be a few fish in there that hardly come out, not surprised  there are lakes with in the lake, plot up in the wrong area and you might not even see em.

On 23/04/2022 at 13:26, elmoputney said:

Just checked the calender I am on earlies that week so could maybe pop in with an order one evening 👍

Hello fella .... looking for a bit of local info .

What the situation with spawning in your area?  , got a horrible feeling this trip might get knocked on the head or cut short . 

51 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Hello fella .... looking for a bit of local info .

What the situation with spawning in your area?  , got a horrible feeling this trip might get knocked on the head or cut short . 

The lake I am on started Saturday and were having a proper good go I think, some of the lakes on the complex haven't yet though, not sure that helps tbh may be worth dropping them an email to be sure 

56 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

The lake I am on started Saturday and were having a proper good go I think, some of the lakes on the complex haven't yet though, not sure that helps tbh may be worth dropping them an email to be sure 

As of today they haven't spawned on the exclusive lake... but from what your saying it doesn't sound good .

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

As of today they haven't spawned on the exclusive lake... but from what your saying it doesn't sound good .

I doubt it will be far off,but it depends on the weather though,, couple of spots of rain due and it doesn't look mega hot for the next few days 

14 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

This is getting interesting from my viewpoint as one of our syndicate managers thinks that the carp might have spawned out of sight of the angler's on the lake last week in a different area from usual.

I've seen this a few times.

14 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

So do you shut the lake or not, not knowing how or whether they have spawned or not?

You cannot know until one of the known fish gets caught down in weight.

• 2 weeks later...

The fish I've seen in 2 syndicate lakes are showing zero signs of spawning IMO, yet one was closed whilst I was there, which is annoying, fish simply following a new wind and mouthing fluff off the surface have either spawned already or are not even close to it - yet some wise guy says they are gathering!?!?  We disagreed!

Moved on to another lake and found fish slowly moving around the snags - again spawned already or not interested.  If you're gonna make a call to close - try to get it right, the last week has been far too cold IMO and that's obvious.

If you get a week of near 20 degrees and night time temps in double figures and see decent fish splashing about close then, not early because a couple of pasties have gone for it, what does that achieve - nothing at all!

52 minutes ago, Highy said:

Apparently the local Memebers lake I'm on haven't even paired yet, never mind spawning....think this is the only lake in Wigan that hasn't....so do I risk going on Thursday or do I go the Park lake. 

Risk it - you  can always go to the park lake if things change?  If they are not showing signs I  can't see that changing this week with these temps.  Could be June or July; I've seen it mid August 

I guess this lake is deeper than the others?

Most of us are responsible enough to make the call for ourselves, annoying when you can see its not the right time for a particular water

Just now, kevtaylor said:

Risk it - you  can always go to the park lake if things change?  If they are not showing signs I  can't see that changing this week with these temps.  Could be June or July; I've seen it mid August 

Most of us are responsible enough to make the call for ourselves, annoying when you can see its not the right time for a particular water

Mate went the park lake today, only him on, no fish though, apparently he says quite a few said they be on tomorrow night for weekend (it's free fishing) and will be full with about 10 anglers fishing. 

If worst does happen while I'm there, I'll just have a good camp out 😁

57 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Thing this year, the temperatures and weather across the country have been so different from area to area. 

North of the country had the warm dry weather for a while, while East of East Anglia was cold and wet.

Yet the Midlands was warm and wet, and a few lakes made it to temperature.

As @levigsp has pointed out in the past though, if new males are stocked, as soon as it gets warm enough all the fish go for it, even if its only for a morning.

On 19/05/2022 at 08:02, yonny said:

You cannot know until one of the known fish gets caught down in weight

That's a difficulty in itself as only 1 of the big fish has a known weight, and although seen, she hasn't been caught in the last 12months. A couple of the biggies are known males, and there are only 105 known fish in 45acres, with numbers of uncaught fish.

One fish came out last night, which is possibly 5lb down, I've yet to see the pics, but it was a common and there are only 4 known commons in the lake, but none are known to be high doubles, they are mucho bigger!

getting a bit eager with the closed for spawning, end of june on pine pool, the last two week guaranteed then intermittent spawning up till into july the water was very warm when i was last out but didn't even see fish herding each other, think the lake i'm on is due to be reviewed for opening next week, can't see that happening. 

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

getting a bit eager with the closed for spawning, end of june on pine pool, the last two week guaranteed then intermittent spawning up till into july the water was very warm when i was last out but didn't even see fish herding each other, think the lake i'm on is due to be reviewed for opening next week, can't see that happening. 

Think next week up North it will happen on lakes that haven't,  20oC + from weekend.