Best Rods for Around £100 2020

If you want to stay with Fox  pre-sale to Japan designed stock you wouldn't go wrong with a set of the Fox Torque might still be able to find a new set if you shop around.  they really are a light weight slim blank. made for playing big fish the flex really does respond to what the angler is doing and the fish. 

3 minutes ago, yonny said:

Does this indicate you're after a rod capable of big distances? If so, I had a day with Terry Edmonds (record caster) recently and he highly recommended the Shimmy TX2 (less than 100 a pop) and the TX4 (130ish) to my mate.

There are vids on the tube of him or his tutorials using them another reason why I didn't mind recommending them 👍 

did you have a tutorial ? If so has it added yards to your casting, having not needed to really cast before it's something I need to get better at tbh, I fancy having a go on a big pit just to get better at it 

Just as a heads up for anyone interested in the Torque range they can still be got new from Fox's spares department, Although, they are not the best long range rods in terms of casting distance going by what others say, If you ask me they are a poor mans Ballista type rod, but don't let that fool you as they really are value for money. 

11 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Nice, well worth it then, if the big lake is empty today when I get there I may try a bigger than normal chuck with the lead, just to see if I can improve 😁

Well worth considering a lesson mate. I'd watched all the YouTube vids and was pretty sure I had technique dialled. Turned out I was very wrong lol. It's all about weight transfer and timing. Not at all as easy as some people make it look.

22 minutes ago, framey said:

I would love a casting lesson 

I have never measured any casts but I reckon I’m doing 80 or so with just an overhead thump never really belted it out to test lol

Years ago I had casting lessons over the field at Gainsborough Park in Ipswich with Roger Mortimer and John Holden. (Big Beach casters of old) 

While not in the Terry Edmonds league of now, and with rods not as materially advanced as now, they definitely improved my casting. 

I got to 125yards with 2.25lb Armalites,  4000 Aero gte Baitrunners, 8lb line, shock leaders and 3oz leads. When I switched to 15lb, 2.75lb Century SP's and original Aerlex's, with 3.5oz leads, longest cast at Nazeing was well over 130metres, closer to 140. 

I haven't really practiced since then, but try to keep all the fundamentals in line. 

3 hours ago, yonny said:

Well worth considering a lesson mate. I'd watched all the YouTube vids and was pretty sure I had technique dialled. Turned out I was very wrong lol. It's all about weight transfer and timing. Not at all as easy as some people make it look.

I was struggling to be deadly accurate with a midi spomb at 12 wraps today I was either too soft or too hard on a few occasions, perhaps made for a good spread of bait though  😳 😁 I didn't try letting one fly though just got the job done tbh maybe another time 

Probably not a bad idea to have lessons though I don't think  😁 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Years ago I had casting lessons over the field at Gainsborough Park in Ipswich with Roger Mortimer and John Holden. (Big Beach casters of old) 

While not in the Terry Edmonds league of now, and with rods not as materially advanced as now, they definitely improved my casting. 

I got to 125yards with 2.25lb Armalites,  4000 Aero gte Baitrunners, 8lb line, shock leaders and 3oz leads. When I switched to 15lb, 2.75lb Century SP's and original Aerlex's, with 3.5oz leads, longest cast at Nazeing was well over 130metres, closer to 140. 

I haven't really practiced since then, but try to keep all the fundamentals in line. 

I remember John Holden from the 80’s with Paul Kerry big names indeed always in Sea Angler Magazine...FYI his son is Lee Kerry the match angler, and 125yds with 4000 reels  👍

Evening all 😎

I've ,organised a couple of meetings with Terry over the years normally 6 in a group.  While I no doubt improved on the day as did everyone . It still took a fair bit of practice after to really dial it in & put into practice what he teaches you on the day .

The penny only really dropped when I filmed my casting In  slow motion & watching it back frame by frame . You can see when you get it right & wrong . Trust me ...what you think your doing through the cast is completely different when you watch it back in slow mo . So I would definitely recommend watching your casting back , look for when the rod starts to load compared to the timing of your release & where your body weight is in comparison to good cast & poor . I was releasing the lead before my weight was fully forward,  didn't feel like I was but watching the video made it clear.

These cast were hitting the clip at 40 wraps 15lb line straight through. 

Screenshot_20201109-193821_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1df17de9afbe2b806477e08c0ad00b5a.jpg

On 09/11/2020 at 11:03, yonny said:

Does this indicate you're after a rod capable of big distances? If so, I had a day with Terry Edmonds (record caster) recently and he highly recommended the Shimmy TX2 (less than 100 a pop) and the TX4 (130ish) to my mate.

Terry's switched to shimmy these days so is bound to push their rods ..... was all about Trebuchet Lights when we met with him lol 😆 

They must be strong rods though  , as Terry would destroy them otherwise first cast.  Man's a beast .! 

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Yeah, that's the thing, you need to practise, which I struggle to do with my limited time. Once a week down the playing field and I've no doubt I'd get to grips with real big casting pretty quickly.

That's the same for me, the more I go the better my accuracy and it feels more natural. tbh it didn't seem such a priority when I was younger though, I think nowadays it's something the kids are learning straight away, I watched the latest pitchers vid the other day at Trent View and there tactic was to cast further than everyone else by fishing at 150yards they got closer to the fish than anyone else 

i enjoy watching Tom maker vids he is a machine, I wouldn't mind being that accurate at the distances he fishes, he just keeps it simple but deadly accurate 

• 1 month later...
On 09/11/2020 at 10:51, Carpbell_ll said:

If you want to stay with Fox  pre-sale to Japan designed stock you wouldn't go wrong with a set of the Fox Torque might still be able to find a new set if you shop around.  they really are a light weight slim blank. made for playing big fish the flex really does respond to what the angler is doing and the fish. 

I’ve got a set of four fox torque rods in 3lb t/c. They were to replace a set of sonic xks blacks that were nice rods but I did snap 2 of them during long range casts so I wanted something I could properly throw a 3 1/2oz lead comfortably. I had a set of 3 fox rods then snapped the tip of one through my own stupidity, (don’t try and force a rod bag past an oak tree, stop and untangle it!!) I ordered a new tip through fox but it had to come from Europe so it didn’t have an arrival date. I found a brand new rod online and got that too. Then the tip arrived... 

they are excellent rods, nice slim blanks, 50mm butt eyes, good recovery, lovely playing action, they do everything I need. I got a set of fox 1200 reels with them. I would recommend them.