Spodding with mono

elmoputney

I have an abundance of mono but no spod braid at the moment for my other spod rod, was thinking of using 12lb or 15lb hydrotuff with a shock leader, just to try it 😲

Do you have to allow for the stretch in mono? 

I am assuming not unless you are really hitting the clip hard as it shouldn't stretch that much should it? 

5 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I have an abundance of mono but no spod braid at the moment for my other spod rod, was thinking of using 12lb or 15lb hydrotuff with a shock leader, just to try it 😲

I am assuming not unless you are really hitting the clip hard as it shouldn't stretch that much should it? 

My Spomb is hit the marker distance, clipped up and then sorted.

I do prefer mono on the Spod/Spomb rod.😉

On 10/08/2020 at 16:47, elmoputney said:

How far you going to spod ?

11 hours ago, charlieg said:

Elmo Hydrotuff is quite a thick mainline so I would go with the 12lb and a leader.  

I thought 12lb may be better might help get a few extra yards, 

10 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

I use three rod lengths of 40lb greased weasel shock leader onto 18lb mono mainline, it’s always worked fine for me without much stretch.

Nice one thanks was thinking about the same but I am going to be using Gardner kinetic 

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

IMG_20200812_155629.thumb.jpg.72f59b0617d86ff593f33133546b234c.jpg

I've already got 2 Rod lengths of leader pulled out, is that too much, I got carried away, and aimed for 25m but think I may have overcooked it 🙄

I also just went for 15lb and cleared up some old Spools I had left over it's a bit of a lash up but it should work 😁

I have 4 or 5 turns on the reel no more for my leader..

Just now, framey said:

And a big loop on the end so you can get a spomb through with a smaller loop at the end of that just so you can loosen that loop to take it back off again

Well that's something I got right then I did that perfectly 😂 

I think I misread its grim up norths post and thought he put 40m on lol, I thought that's a lot let's go for 25m 😁

I should think if I remove half of it should be about right, can put the other bit on my lightweight spod rod 🤔 

Whoops, it's been one of those days today 😁

I use braid without a shock leader. But when I used to sea fish a lot it was 4 turns on the spool ,length of rod and down to the joint anymore and the leader knot would be covered and that causes problems. Large clip with a bit of silicon sleeve over the knot  to protect it when I use it for a marker rod and for a quick change If I needed to go to a smaller or bigger spomb  

On 10/08/2020 at 16:47, elmoputney said:

You only really stretch mono on the initial loading of the rod in the cast if you feather you cast down nicely , a few turns of braid deals with that when it comes to spodding . If you hit the clip to hard it will stretch,  your know if you have because it springs back towards you to release the energy created.  Personally I use braid straight through for spod work .

24 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

You only really stretch mono on the initial loading of the rod in the cast if you feather you cast down nicely , a few turns of braid deals with that when it comes to spodding . If you hit the clip to hard it will stretch,  your know if you have because it springs back towards you to release the energy created.  Personally I use braid straight through for spod work .

Well I used it today, because I tend to use my heavy spod rod for a couple of other things like weed raking and stuff I found out it wasn't up to the extra tasks  😭

I trimmed it down to 5 turns and then it snapped at the knot after accidently  sticking my castable weed rake into some heavy weed, 

Will get some spod braid I think it's probably cheaper in the long run 😂

49 minutes ago, framey said:

I only use a mahin knot on braid to mono

its basically an albright with an over hand loop In the end of the mono 

I did a double uni knot but i think the mahin knot looks much better cheers I will try that next time, i think the leader knots are tbings I need to do more of as I tend to use loops for everything those days 😲

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Snap. I've used every combo of materials you can imagine and braid straight through is the least hassle by miles imo.

I pretty much came to that conclusion after losing my castable weed rake 😭

I've ordered some spider braid 35lb should be up to most tasks I need it for, the last lot I had was OK so will see 

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I pretty much came to that conclusion after losing my castable weed rake

Gutted! That's the problem with mono, it's fine until you get a frap up or something like that, then you're guaranteed to lose whatever it is you're casting out.

3 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

spider braid 35lb

As in Spider Wire? I struggled with that stuff, it has a waxy coating, doesn't behave too well.

14 minutes ago, yonny said:

Gutted! That's the problem with mono, it's fine until you get a frap up or something like that, then you're guaranteed to lose whatever it is you're casting out.

As in Spider Wire? I struggled with that stuff, it has a waxy coating, doesn't behave too well.

I hadn't even got to properly use it, it was a sad day lost a gripper lead too 😁

I had the 50lb spider one and it seemed OK for most things  apart from needing to cast too far I think the 0.35mm should be better and fairly similar thickness to my main line, I have the 20lb exocet on my other rod, should I need more distance, 

I can highly recommend PowerPro in 40lb & 50lb breaking strains. I’m using the 40lb as my general mainline.
Since the water Im fishing is shallow and Im not fishing much beyond 100 yds max I’m using my actual fishing rods to spomb too. Makes things so much easier; find a spot with a bare lead, clip up, swop lead for Spomb to bait up, remove and replace with baited rig, voila! 

Edited by Pete Springate's Guns