Spodding with mono

elmoputney

8 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I pretty much came to that conclusion after losing my castable weed rake 😭

I've ordered some spider braid 35lb should be up to most tasks I need it for, the last lot I had was OK so will see 

I tried spider wire and could not get on with its waxy finish and stiffness went straight in the bin.  🙄 

On 13 August 2020 at 18:15, elmoputney said:

Well I used it today, because I tend to use my heavy spod rod for a couple of other things like weed raking and stuff I found out it wasn't up to the extra tasks  😭

I trimmed it down to 5 turns and then it snapped at the knot after accidently  sticking my castable weed rake into some heavy weed, 

Will get some spod braid I think it's probably cheaper in the long run 😂

I tried braid for spodding, really didn't get on with it.

I never stuck a weed rake on mono though, I used my marker rod for a small Breakaway lead which has braid with an Amnesia shockleader. 

Saying that, I have also miscast with my fishing rods with an ordinary lead on mono and pulled it back through a patch of thick weed on a major gravel bar and had that give way.

21 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I tried braid for spodding, really didn't get on with it.

I never stuck a weed rake on mono though, I used my marker rod for a small Breakaway lead which has braid with an Amnesia shockleader. 

Saying that, I have also miscast with my fishing rods with an ordinary lead on mono and pulled it back through a patch of thick weed on a major gravel bar and had that give way.

I found i got on OK with braid before, the problems came when I didn't wet it first, and my last braid was like tow rope so it didn't like being reeled in without a winch 🙄 that was the main reason for trying mono line as I had some in stock that I knew would be OK for casting etc. just think its less hassle with braid and as I am forgetting Important things like toastie makers and water carriers etc I think simple is best and straight through is more elmo proof 😂 you can just use it, change a lead to a spod or rake or whatever without having to think about it, perfect👌