Night Pictures

Hi all, 

We may have gone over this in the past, but Night Pictures are not my best fortay. 

This 1 is just with the Phone flash on, Phone holder on a bankstick. 

IMG_20200809_030704.thumb.jpg.62c2a18b73b688b542f24eb393a23b5f.jpg

This 1 is with the NGT bivvy light on the outside of the bivvy facing me. 

IMG_20200809_021317.thumb.jpg.fca27a731c085fdaae6c9a8f3c2c107e.jpg

Im looking at buying either the NGT or Saber camera tripod. 

Screenshot_20200810_100849.thumb.jpg.e90a88d751c7b081e7c2ff62fd9a135c.jpg

Screenshot_20200810_100816.thumb.jpg.1c619bee6f3cd3db0d1d7dbf47abbf49.jpg

Does anyone know how the flash is on these, or I can still use the bivvy light on the outside. 

The problem is not the set-up or the flash/light buddy. It is the phone. Phone cameras have very tiny sensors which means they cannot harness enough light to get a decent image at night. Instead the phone will increase ISO (sensitivity to light) in an attempt to obtain a decent image. The byproduct of this is a grainy, messy image.

You could spend 2 grand on professional quality flash/lighting and you'd still not get the shot you are after. You really need a camera to get good night shots.

Some of these modern phone cameras are great in the day (they use multiple cameras and clever trickery to replicate the image characteristics produced by a proper camera) but at night they are just nowhere near capable unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, yonny said:

The problem is not the set-up or the flash/light buddy. It is the phone. Phone cameras have very tiny sensors which means they cannot harness enough light to get a decent image at night. Instead the phone will increase ISO (sensitivity to light) in an attempt to obtain a decent image. The byproduct of this is a grainy, messy image.

You could spend 2 grand on professional quality flash/lighting and you'd still not get the shot you are after. You really need a camera to get good night shots.

Some of these modern phone cameras are great in the day (they use multiple cameras and clever trickery to replicate the image characteristics produced by a proper camera) but at night they are just nowhere near capable unfortunately.

That what was thinkng, about the quality of the phone. 

Used to have a Fuji Pix (I think called that) when little en was younger for holidays n stuff... That be well gone now... was good enough to make decent photos for the house. 

21 minutes ago, yonny said:

Got me thinking now.... Off to the loft I go 🤞🤞

2 hours ago, Highy said:

Just had a little play, it works, so gonna fully charge it and see from there... May have a Fishing Camera now 😁😁

Have a look at the settings see if you can get multiple shots done on a timer, makes life easier 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D1MWM8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1YumFbSV37R82

I use one of these video lights but it fits on my camera, you may be able to get a bankstick adapter for one though but this will really brighten up the scene, you also need to lose the headlight, that won't be helping your pics 

5 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Have a look at the settings see if you can get multiple shots done on a timer, makes life easier 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D1MWM8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1YumFbSV37R82

I use one of these video lights but it fits on my camera, you may be able to get a bankstick adapter for one though but this will really brighten up the scene, you also need to lose the headlight, that won't be helping your pics 

Yeh, it has 2 seconds n 10 seconds... 

Gonna get the bivvy light bending adaptor/plate and this will go onto a bankstick, will use this. 

Screenshot_20200810_144421.thumb.jpg.c9b005f696b6514462929c70cb0d282f.jpg

Yah, don't look cool with it on in pics. 😂😂

15 minutes ago, Highy said:

Yeh, it has 2 seconds n 10 seconds... 

Gonna get the bivvy light bending adaptor/plate and this will go onto a bankstick, will use this. 

Bivvy lights like the Ridgemonkey are no good if that's what you are referring to? they are not adjustable for brightness.

Better than nothing granted.

12 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Bivvy lights like the Ridgemonkey are no good if that's what you are referring to? they are not adjustable for brightness.

Better than nothing granted.

My ridgemonkey is slightly adjustable it has a few brightness settings, admittedly it would help but it's not as bright as my video light, so I would always use that first, it does brighten up the area a bit though better than nowt 

12 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

My ridgemonkey is slightly adjustable it has a few brightness settings, admittedly it would help but it's not as bright as my video light, so I would always use that first, it does brighten up the area a bit though better than nowt 

From the limited amount of info I've seen you want 2 lights pointing across the subject, one each side. 👍

10 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

From the limited amount of info I've seen you want 2 lights pointing across the subject, one each side. 👍

I think 2 would be best probably, I get by OK with one, the video lights are much better though for throwing a wider beam of light out, can't recommend those enough tbh, for 17 quid and being rechargeable too bargain, the ridgemonkey is a better bivvy light though 😂

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

I think 2 would be best probably, I get by OK with one, the video lights are much better though for throwing a wider beam of light out, can't recommend those enough tbh, for 17 quid and being rechargeable too bargain, the ridgemonkey is a better bivvy light though 😂

Yeah they are a copy of the Rhino light by the look of it - ideal for the job 👍

I can get reasonable night pictures on my phone, but definitely prefer the camera flash.

The mirror was taken on the camera, good flash, no extra lighting, the common on my phone.

I don't think the common picture is as good, you have a 'merge' between my t-shirt and the background, whereas with the mirror, same colour hoodie (and they are even now) you can see the difference.

I can definitely see the benefit of video lights, heck my dad used them years ago when filming television programmes at night (he was a vision mixer, cameraman and studio designer for London Weekend Television, and used them on outside broadcasts), but I do find I already take so much gear that extra lighting is too, too much.

My current camera is a Canon Eos, no bells or whistles, just flash and self timer, which to be honest I have gotten used to. I was on Fuji Finepix, but water killed two, so picked up the Eos for £5 on the bay.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

It's better if you find some dense foliage behind you, the light bounces back off it and brightens the surroundings. 👍 

As much as I agree, I'm the person who can recognise swims by what is behind on a number of waters.

I can't remember who it was on here, but somebody put a picture taken at night and I told them the lake and peg the picture was taken in. (Taverham Mills, peg 25)

A mate of mine locally has taken to cropping his night taken chub pictures to remove background not to stop me finding his spots, (I know many of them myself anyway, we regularly bump into each other on the river), but to stop other anglers.

44 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Always like to find some sense foliage, if I ever get to catch another wouldn't mind trying to get some flowers in the shot 😂

If you have flag iris in flower on your water, that really brightens up a shot. The yellow flowers do look good.

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

As much as I agree, I'm the person who can recognise swims by what is behind on a number of waters.

I can't remember who it was on here, but somebody put a picture taken at night and I told them the lake and peg the picture was taken in. (Taverham Mills, peg 25)

I'm the person who cannot identify a swim by the background on a pic, I really thought I'd be good at it but on my last water I didn't have a clue lol

People disguise the backgrounds on canal pics and I don't blame them or you in your case - fair play 👍

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Me :I've caught one mate you couldnt come and help us with the photos could you,?

Imaginary friend :Yeah course I will 

Me :Cheers I need a bouquet from Morrisons the £10 ones, she's well worth it 😂😁

Lol like it 🤣

Been thinking - they do background prints for fish tanks..........

This time next year Elmo we could be millionaires 👍