Reservoir virgin!

commonly

• 2 months later...

So I've been prebaiting the last few weeks, in preparation for the weekend. 

As the water level has dropped at least 12 ft since I joined, there are various rocks, tree stumps, clams, etc. that are causing me great concern that if I get a take I am likely to get cut off😏

So I am thinking hydro tuff line and only fish a few wraps out to minimize the risk. 

Thoughts and recommendations gratefully received 👍

19 minutes ago, commonly said:

Thoughts and recommendations gratefully received

My first thought would be to take plenty of photo's and draw some maps showing where the snags are so you can avoid them when the level returns. A whole day spent doing that would probably pay off long term rather than sat behind the rods all day. That said, snags are fish magnets so fishing close to them could pay off but obviously wrapping up now would give a false reading when the levels increase and the bank retreats, so wrap to a fixed location like a boundary fence if possible. Plumbing should also be easier if it's 12 foot shallower and now is the time before the autumn rains come. Look along the bank for any depressions or smooth areas that fish would seek out and map them. I would definitely be looking at margin fishing and prebaiting would almost certainly accelerate their acceptance of the bait and the area as a safe place. 

34 minutes ago, commonly said:

So I've been prebaiting the last few weeks, in preparation for the weekend. 

As the water level has dropped at least 12 ft since I joined, there are various rocks, tree stumps, clams, etc. that are causing me great concern that if I get a take I am likely to get cut off😏

So I am thinking hydro tuff line and only fish a few wraps out to minimize the risk. 

Thoughts and recommendations gratefully received 👍

Ive put hydrotuff through its paces for 2 years and it hasn't let me down yet, great line 

Sounds like a challenge that place, I can't really advise much otherwise other than enjoy it 🤣

• 4 weeks later...

Well my worst fears came true. Got a bite, felt a good tug, then snapped up!! Flipping gutted!! 

Hydrotuff didn't turn up. 

Tried threading on some tubing, blooming nightmare that is. Not allowed lead core so I'm going with 50lb leader.

My mates lost two as well, beefing up the last few feet to try and avoid any repeat losses. 🤞🤞🤞

20 minutes ago, commonly said:

Well my worst fears came true. Got a bite, felt a good tug, then snapped up!! Flipping gutted!! 

Hydrotuff didn't turn up. 

Tried threading on some tubing, blooming nightmare that is. Not allowed lead core so I'm going with 50lb leader.

My mates lost two as well, beefing up the last few feet to try and avoid any repeat losses. 🤞🤞🤞

I'm not allowed to use Leadcore so i use an unleaded leader, just got some Gardner camflex but haven't tried splicing it yet, avid pin down leader is what I normally use but couldn't find any, will let you know what I think later 

Gutted for you though mate I know you've been working hard, just hope you get another chance, 

16 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

What lb bs hydrotuff are you using? 

It's gt HD the Hydrotuff hasn't been delivered 😢

The rocks I'm bivvied up on are all quite sharp so they must be the same further out. Like I said I've beefed up the last 12ft and tightened up to the lead to try and minimize the line lay on the bottom. 

All pieces I have to learn to complete the puzzle. Got until lunchtime tomorrow to try and bag one🤞

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, commonly said:

So having been cut off and totally gutted, I've done a small amount of research and considering using poly balls to get my mainline off the deck. 

Has anyone tried this and got any pointers. Much appreciated 

Solar do line biters which slide down from the rod tip, used at Rainbow in France. 

Talking of which there are a number of homemade contraptions, like swivels fitted into coke bottles to keep the line up. You can also use suspender floats, or predator inline sunk floats, but these do cut down casting distance, but with a boat you can put them the distance. 

On Alton near concrete blocks I had to use a long snag leader of 30lb Amnesia to stop cutoffs 

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Solar do line biters which slide down from the rod tip, used at Rainbow in France. 

Talking of which there are a number of homemade contraptions, like swivels fitted into coke bottles to keep the line up. You can also use suspender floats, or predator inline sunk floats, but these do cut down casting distance, but with a boat you can put them the distance. 

On Alton near concrete blocks I had to use a long snag leader of 30lb Amnesia to stop cutoffs 

One other option, is to fish from the dam wall. 

Do you have any experience here Nick? 

My concerns here are that boilies will keep rolling down to the bottom (80ft) when full up), unless I can find a ledge. So is it worth prebaiting and freebies?

Also from what I can tell I would only be able to get 3 bivvy pegs in the joins of the concrete?? 

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

might be worth getting a beachcaster/skyliner pod that would help a bit, other than that sounds like you need a long snag leader,  have a look at what there is for the big catfish on the Ebro.

Yes I've looked at those pods around £120😳

I did tie on 20ft of armakord 50lb, but I'm not so sure that would be the answer as the stones, rocks etc are sharp as razors. 

Hydrotuff appears to be sold out most places. I'm not so sure that's the answer either???

Im leaning towards the dam wall as there isn't any rocks there

On 20/10/2020 at 18:23, commonly said:

One other option, is to fish from the dam wall. 

Do you have any experience here Nick? 

My concerns here are that boilies will keep rolling down to the bottom (80ft) when full up), unless I can find a ledge. So is it worth prebaiting and freebies?

Also from what I can tell I would only be able to get 3 bivvy pegs in the joins of the concrete?? 

Alton there is no fishing from the dam wall, so you are limited to the banks either side. 

I actually tried to avoid the dam area for carp fishing, sailing club, wind/kite surfers, the remains of the water park buoys where everything was tethered, and fished as far away as possible. 

A southerly or south westerly wind pushed fish to the other end of the reservoir, where depths and banks were more manageable. I did occasionally have to add long legs, banksticks onto my P1 pod. 

I also used a lot of chopped or half boilies to stop rolling down slopes, although the deepest I found was the old stream bed(s) at 22feet.

Yes. The sailing club tend to be at that end, they are not supposed to get within a 100yds of us though. 

The opposite end is out of bounds nature reserve. I'm told the fish are seen up there more so than anywhere else 🙄

Love the chops idea, especially if I can't find a ledge. Nice one 

17 hours ago, commonly said:

Yes. The sailing club tend to be at that end, they are not supposed to get within a 100yds of us though. 

The opposite end is out of bounds nature reserve. I'm told the fish are seen up there more so than anywhere else 🙄

Love the chops idea, especially if I can't find a ledge. Nice one 

A fair few of my fish came from the second swim out of the nature reserve. The first swim out was a tackle eater, broken hooks, frayed leaders, where they had embedded or rubbed against the edge of the old roadway and the drains and culvert. 

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

A fair few of my fish came from the second swim out of the nature reserve. The first swim out was a tackle eater, broken hooks, frayed leaders, where they had embedded or rubbed against the edge of the old roadway and the drains and culvert. 

My mate wants to get down there but it's a marathon with the barrow. Most guys go by boat, which we can't at the moment. 

Similar, looks snaggy with old tree stumps and the dreaded rocks. 

51 minutes ago, commonly said:

My mate wants to get down there but it's a marathon with the barrow. Most guys go by boat, which we can't at the moment. 

Similar, looks snaggy with old tree stumps and the dreaded rocks. 

Anywhere near that you can unload gear rather than barrow the gear down? 

I was lucky on both Ardleigh and Alton to have an access road I could unload the gear, put it on the barrow and then put the car in the car park. 

One car park was even right next to a decent swim

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Anywhere near that you can unload gear rather than barrow the gear down? 

I was lucky on both Ardleigh and Alton to have an access road I could unload the gear, put it on the barrow and then put the car in the car park. 

One car park was even right next to a decent swim

I should be so lucky, it's a few hundred meters with the barrow to the nearest swim. A bit further as the waters dropped. General rule of thumb is you should be over a hundred yards away from the nearest angler. So can be a bit of a trek. 

The guys that use boats drive to the launch slip which looks easy enough to load straight into a boat. I jyust need the spare £££'S to buy an electric outboard and battery. 

Normally it's the time of year I'd ask for this kind of prezzy, but going to be looking at cost saving this year. Even plan on donating certain items to those less fortunate than myself 

On 17/05/2020 at 19:03, commonly said:

So, I've now secured a ticket on 200+ acre reservoir. In search of a fresh new challenge. I plan to spend a few years getting to know the place. 

I am now starting to panic!! My fishing up to now has been on fairly small intimate waters. 3-9 & 15 acres is the largest. 

The manager told me there's no particular spots due to the rise and fall of the water over the year. I'm also led to believe that the carp are mainly at mid water. Known to regurgitate fry upon capture?? Adjustable zig is my thought, although I'm not very confident in my use of them to date, I intend to hone that in the near future. 

I've got shimano 10000 bait runners, which I am now thinking need to be replaced by big pits?? If a biggy takes off, I'm worried I'd run out of line!! 

I'm not so sure I will be able to see fish showing, due to the chop on the water. I will obviously ask whoever for any information, but should I try to find features in the coves or fill in a few spots of the dam??? 

All and any advice appreciated gents! 

Hi I’m no expert by a long shot walk around before you fish early morning sunset your eyes will be your biggest weapon at the moment the more time you spend around there you will soon learne where they like to be what’s the depths what’s the topography of the lake bed trickle a bit of bait in here and there keep eye on it 

hope this helps