Polarised sun glasses

Guys I've been using the Fortis glasses for a few years now and never really had a problem with them apart from me breaking them but a just recently I was chatting with someone and they were advising me to invest in what he called a proper pair (Costa del mar) and a few years back someone also tried advising me to get a pair aswell but was put off by the price take but after thinking about it if your eyes are your greatest tool in fishing it's worth the investment but is there really that much of a difference??

I've heard of the glasses but not used them or know anyone who has a pair, at least not for fishing. I've had optix polaroids,  fox glasses and Fortis.  Though I now have oakley Polaroid glasses and can say they are worth the extra money so I'm in no doubt the costa del mar will be worth it as well. My Oakley glasses have the "shallow blue" lens in them and are brilliant in my opinion. 

I need prescription ones ideally I think, I've got the fortis over goggles ones but compared to my old Maui Jim's prescription ones that I've had for years they aren't very good, sadly that isn't my prescription anymore, but I do think it would be a good investment to spend more on some proper ones, 

12 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

a proper pair (Costa del mar)

I have had 3 pairs of Costas now. They're amazing.

You can get a decent set of sunnies for next to nothing (the Fortis Essentials are the one if you're looking to save money). Minor improvements over the cheaper options cost big bucks. There is no such thing as better or worse polarising, it is what it is, but there is such a thing as better or worse lenses that can be polarised. You'll find the pricey versions have multiple layers to the lenses (so top of the range Costas have 6 layers each serving a different purpose where cheaper options might just have a polarised plastic lens).

If money is no object the Costas are the one imo, the 580G (glass) lenses. If they're solely for fish spotting then you need the silver sunrise lens (basically amber). If you'll be wearing them all day to protect from the sun then the copper/green mirror lens is the one.

If you're serious about getting some there is currently a sale on (link below, see half way down the page). This is as cheap as you'll find them in the UK mate.

https://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/polarised_sunglasses.html

I may just add a bit more to this I used the same optician for 20 odd years and my eyes were fine better glasses always and more expensive, , I went to specsavers last year for my eye test and glasses, got cheaper glasses but I also can't see as well and have had to go back to get the prescription checked and changed, I guess that is down to the quality of lense 

15 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I guess that is down to the quality of lens

Yup.

Sunnies are imo one of those few pieces of tackle that will actually lead to more fish on the bank (you can't catch them if you can't find them innit). Therefore I have less problem spending hundreds on them than I do a bivvy for example.

11 minutes ago, yonny said:

Yup.

Sunnies are imo one of those few pieces of tackle that will actually lead to more fish on the bank (you can't catch them if you can't find them innit). Therefore I have less problem spending hundreds on them than I do a bivvy for example.

Yep I won't be going back to specsavers either and I will certainly get some better glasses next time 

My specs are scratched too now better lenses don't scratch, I got an anti scratch coating on them too 😁

I had a pair of glasses made up by Specsavers and they were next to useless... they had forgotten to install the prisms into the lens .... I went back to my optician and she sorted my glasses for me, I'll always use a proper optomerist/optician, my eyes are precious....

on the offchance, does anyone know if it's possible to get polarised reactolite lenses yet... swapping glasses is a pain and I always lose the clip ons 

3 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

on the offchance, does anyone know if it's possible to get polarised reactolite lenses yet... 

No mate. Polarising tints lenses so this is not possible. But there is similar tech that allows for a light tint to got to a dark tint (Fortis Switch lenses for example).

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I have had 3 pairs of Costas now. They're amazing.

You can get a decent set of sunnies for next to nothing (the Fortis Essentials are the one if you're looking to save money). Minor improvements over the cheaper options cost big bucks. There is no such thing as better or worse polarising, it is what it is, but there is such a thing as better or worse lenses that can be polarised. You'll find the pricey versions have multiple layers to the lenses (so top of the range Costas have 6 layers each serving a different purpose where cheaper options might just have a polarised plastic lens).

If money is no object the Costas are the one imo, the 580G (glass) lenses. If they're solely for fish spotting then you need the silver sunrise lens (basically amber). If you'll be wearing them all day to protect from the sun then the copper/green mirror lens is the one.

If you're serious about getting some there is currently a sale on (link below, see half way down the page). This is as cheap as you'll find them in the UK mate.

https://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/polarised_sunglasses.html

So what's the best lens to use for fish spotting and sun protection mate? 

I need a new pair as my oakleys are scratched all over now. 

28 minutes ago, yonny said:

No mate. Polarising tints lenses so this is not possible. But there is similar tech that allows for a light tint to got to a dark tint (Fortis Switch lenses for example).

Spent a wee while searching as my prescription is up this year... came across these...

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/why-transitions/the-technology/variable-polarization/

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

I had a pair of glasses made up by Specsavers and they were next to useless... they had forgotten to install the prisms into the lens .... I went back to my optician and she sorted my glasses for me, I'll always use a proper optomerist/optician, my eyes are precious....

on the offchance, does anyone know if it's possible to get polarised reactolite lenses yet... swapping glasses is a pain and I always lose the clip ons 

I think once this virus is done and I can go to one, I will find a good local one to visit as I agree, you need proper eye care, my last one was brilliant but now miles away unfortunately, 

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Molecules that align 😮

That is some serious tech there. I best they cost a fair bit.

My last pair of bins cost nearly £400... I have to have special prisms god knows how much a pair of these bad boys cost...

even using old frames is a mickey take as they charge £75 to put new lenses into old frames... bit of a rip off really..... add in the cost of those lenses and it's going to be prohibitive

8 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I think once this virus is done and I can go to one, I will find a good local one to visit as I agree, you need proper eye care, my last one was brilliant but now miles away unfortunately, 

8 hours ago, bluelabel said:

My last pair of bins cost nearly £400... I have to have special prisms god knows how much a pair of these bad boys cost...

even using old frames is a mickey take as they charge £75 to put new lenses into old frames... bit of a rip off really..... add in the cost of those lenses and it's going to be prohibitive

I will be very interested to read about what glasses the pair of you end up with .

I wear varifocals with 2 different colour clip ons for sunny days , and they're from Specsavers ;  I'll go and sit on The Naughty Step , or Reflection Step ? , now .

😔

14 hours ago, crusian said:

I will be very interested to read about what glasses the pair of you end up with .

I wear varifocals with 2 different colour clip ons for sunny days , and they're from Specsavers ;  I'll go and sit on The Naughty Step , or Reflection Step ? , now .

😔

Clip ons  , something to consider 

On 5 May 2020 at 19:05, Lumeymorris said:

Guys I've been using the Fortis glasses for a few years now and never really had a problem with them apart from me breaking them but a just recently I was chatting with someone and they were advising me to invest in what he called a proper pair (Costa del mar) and a few years back someone also tried advising me to get a pair aswell but was put off by the price take but after thinking about it if your eyes are your greatest tool in fishing it's worth the investment but is there really that much of a difference??

I buy Eyelevel sunglasses, they are decent wearing for all times, I rarely go out anywhere without mine. The only problem with that is I have a tendency to break or lose them, so this is saved:

https://eyelevel-uk.com/search?type=product,article,page&q=Fishing*

I had it explained to me as Most cheap polarised glasses are only one layer of polarisation, if you tilt your head 90degrees to the side the polarisation effect does not work, so a second layer is put on at that angle. That then increases the cost.

I have had various sunglasses over the years, from Optix Cormorants, around £45 in the 1990's, to Fox, to Sunglasses Warehouse, and to be honest the Eyelevel I found as comfortable, and as good as the Optix.

I got my latest prescription last year went with  a varifocal lenses with gray transition, they cut out 100% UV but are not polarised, like those ones bluelable has found, bet they do cost as well mine were 205 notes all in, i had to pay 110.

Always use my local optician, specsavers are no where near as thorough with their tests and the verifocal in my lenses is set perfect for where i need it.

Still use a cheap pair of fish spotters for now 

43 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I buy Eyelevel sunglasses, they are decent wearing for all times, I rarely go out anywhere without mine. The only problem with that is I have a tendency to break or lose them, so this is saved:

https://eyelevel-uk.com/search?type=product,article,page&q=Fishing*

I had it explained to me as Most cheap polarised glasses are only one layer of polarisation, if you tilt your head 90degrees to the side the polarisation effect does not work, so a second layer is put on at that angle. That then increases the cost.

I have had various sunglasses over the years, from Optix Cormorants, around £45 in the 1990's, to Fox, to Sunglasses Warehouse, and to be honest the Eyelevel I found as comfortable, and as good as the Optix.

The blue lens are great for sea fishing abroad where they have clear water

i still have a pair of optic somewhere might have to find them out for the rivers 

Edited by framey

• 2 months later...