Weather influence session tomorrow

pablo7uk

Hi all,

I'm going out for a day ticket tomorrow on Wyreside (northwest UK) and wondered what everyone's thoughts are on the influence of the current weather. I've been keeping a watching and wind direction is very changeable but not too strong and pressure is dropping in AM and rising in PM but generally very little change. I've also attached a map of the lake....which area would you choose to set yourself up for the day?

Paul

Screenshot_20200303_174454_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200303_174459_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200303_174505_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200303_174513_com.android.chrome.jpg

ghaDZiQmQ5.jpg

11 minutes ago, framey said:

I wouldn’t aim for anywhere 

carp will do what ever they want..seek and ye shall find

Very true, if you're not fishing you've no chance of catching 😂

Only reason I'm asking for advice is this is probably the biggest lake I've fished specifically for carp. I'm trying to upgrade myself from the local farm ponds/commercial venues so want all the advice and guidance I can get!

1 hour ago, dayvid said:

Either Go or Dont , forget the weather , if paid to much attention to the weather id hardly fish .

Haha don't worry I'm definitely going! Gear is in the hallway waiting for morning! As I said never fished a lake of that size so wondering which area of the lake might be holding the fish

Hello Paul

I am having some success in the shallowest ( 3-5ft. ) part of my lake ; this part has a healthy growth of weed , and I guess ( as I haven't compared it ) a  warmer water temperature than the deepest part of the lake . 

You don't show wind speed , and personally I would seek shelter if it's a cold wind of any strength as I can't fish competently if I'm not comfortable .

Tight lines .

😃

To start with I would be sitting in the gap between the two trees under the name of the lake with a pair of binoculars, watching the whole of the lake, 10.9 acres is not that big, then I would walk the lake, finally going back to that original spot for a few minutes.

Then if there were fish signs I would move round to them. 

The hard part is that day ticket fisheries you rarely get the chance to move onto fish, but the bonus is that the bailiffs should give you an idea of where the fish are.

I chose peg 6 actually, I thought it would give me the choice of shallow margins with tree cover and other features but also covers the deepest areas of the lake.

It was flat calm almost all day, no fish showing at all throughout the entire day and when there was an occasional slight breeze it was freezing and in a different direction everytime! 

Needless to say I blanked, just two liners but I don't think I fished particularly well either, reeled in twice with my braided hooklink in a tangle and the stiff link fished in the margins came in with weed on it twice and a seed on the hookpoint once too! I also struggled with the bivvy pegs on the gravel of the peg and set up over an area that wasn't level, took me about 30mins just to peg in the bivvy. Not a great day all in all but the fishery is brilliant so will definitely go back soon.

Hello Paul 

Shame you didn't catch anything , but interesting that you chose peg 6 which Big Bass had suggested .

You watched the lake for signs as was suggested , maybe switch to a coated braid ? ( listening to others on the forum , I want to be confident that my bait is properly presented at all times ) ; personally I prefer a pop up to keep my hookpoint above any chod , especially at this time of year .

At least you want to revisit the fishery .

😃

I think one of my major downfalls is that I'm rubbish with pva bags, I find them so fiddly and never have a tidy presentation like on all the YouTube videos I watch. I did use a coated braid I've had it for years can't remember the name of it but I strip back about 1cm just after the hook to give it more movement. I think perhaps how I laid it in the pva bag did no favours.

The stiff link in the margins was a pop up, I think perhaps I just got unfortunate with that presentation. The rig putty even fell off once when I had reeled in which had been wrapped around the knot.

Any recommendations for a presentation to be a bit more fool proof for me. I used a lead clip with a 3oz lead. Both hooklinks were about 6 inch. No rig tube or leader above the lead. No leaders allowed so wasn't sure if there is an alternative I could use?

Also is there a golden rule about what should be used in a pva bag? Something to make presentation easier and a tidier bag?

12 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

recommendations for a presentation to be a bit more fool proof

Split shot between the hook/hair and bait, or soft and stiff hook link. (try rigmarole hydrolink).

If I want to pin down my line, I use a flying back lead. Personally, I never use leaders. 

12 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Also is there a golden rule about what should be used in a pva bag

I don't really use them, like you say fiddly. I use pva mesh with a few boilies. 

When I have used them, I turn it inside out, hook through the bag, turn it back in, straighten hair, half fill with boilies and crumb, place lead in, compacting more bait as much as possible. Pull the line to the middle, around 3/4 full, pinch excess and line, twist a few times, compacting the bait, wrap several times with pva tape (not string), couple of granny knots. Carefully trim excess around line, fold, lick n stick the bottom corners.

Practice makes perfect mate

2 hours ago, commonly said:

....  half fill with boilies and crumb, place lead in, compacting more bait as much as possible.

I do not like putting the lead inside the bag. The reason is, when the bag hits the water, the momentum in the lead pushes it forward through the bait into the carefully arranged rig. This could cause a tangle.

I prepare my bag in the usual way but when it is full I hold it by the top two corners and swing it round a few time forming (what I call) "ears". one is passed over the other to form the first half of a granny knot (that well known anglers stand bye). I then pass a small ring over one ear and complete the tying of the granny (or reef) knot. That ring is then clipped onto the swivel coming from the lead weight as is the terminal rig. On casting all the bag weight is taken by the ring through the ears of the bag.

210668614_pvabag2.jpg.d2edf0d98c595882e27491f990695683.jpg