Cog lead and Rigs

Old school

That dodgy quick change clip aint part of the Korda cog kit, makes me wonder if they've bodged it all together out of random bits. Maybe the swivel barrel that fits the lead is different too, which might explain why it's not released the lead.

17 minutes ago, Old school said:

Is there any need for all that though Yonny?

All what? If used correctly there's nowt wrong with tubing and a lead clip imo, cog or otherwise.

2 hours ago, framey said:

Technically it make the fish feel the full weight instead of having movement that a clip creates 

doesn’t that then make a mockery of having loops in stiff links etc lol

Or as Danny himself originally recommended, an inline lead, with a ring rather than swivel, or a swivel inside the buffer bead, and it does work with a short pop-up rig. Used that set-up myself before he recommended it.

40 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Or as Danny himself originally recommended, an inline lead, with a ring rather than swivel, or a swivel inside the buffer bead, and it does work with a short pop-up rig. Used that set-up myself before he recommended it.

I have the original Korda rig book from way back when lol

14 hours ago, Old school said:

Why not just use the lead clip? What does the cog actually do? 

14 hours ago, framey said:

Technically it make the fish feel the full weight instead of having movement that a clip creates 

That.

@Old school, I agree with you that they're not necessary, but I don't think they present any safety issue if used correctly.

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, Enzyme said:

Korda's reccomended size 8 swivels don't shake out of their own inline leads either (pretty often)

They do nothing about it and it has been a problem for many years now

But of course money is extremely important to them (so important that they don't get a penny of mine)

Sorry mate we love Danny on here, he does a lot of good work for fishing, 

1 minute ago, Enzyme said:

You speak for all ''X'' hundred members do you?

WOW how amazingly generalising of you!

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Enzyme said:

Apart from fixing obvious dangers within his OWN tackle range, obviously

I am sure his team would have looked I to any issues you may have had, if you had reported it to them directly, 

10 minutes ago, Enzyme said:

Apart from fixing obvious dangers within his OWN tackle range (which he has known about for 15 years)

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Thanks 

I am sure his team would have looked I to any issues you may have had, if you had reported it to them directly, 

17 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Sorry mate we love Danny on here, he does a lot of good work for fishing, 

36 minutes ago, Enzyme said:

Korda's reccomended size 8 swivels don't shake out of their own inline leads either (pretty often)

They do nothing about it and it has been a problem for many years now

But of course money is extremely important to them (so important that they don't get a penny of mine)

That is one reason I try to put as little money in his pocket as possible.

His Embryo project may be good for angling, although over stocking a lake with tench is not a good idea.

His lead clips are shameful, the lead clip should always lockdown and not move. Yet it only takes a tug for the lead clip to release from the swivel. Every other manufacturer knows this, and pegs them or has theirs drilled so they can be tied in place.

You should be able to use any size 8 swivel, not just Korda's which are a slightly different size.

And some of the tips coming out of the Korda company have left a number of fish...

'Using a needle Put your leadcore beads on sideways' that stopped rigs ejecting and lead to fish getting snagged up on leadcore. 

I don't use korda leads or lead clips as I don't really use lead clips tbh, so can't really comment 

My go to these days is a fox inline and a tadpole insert these are great tbh they have a enough grip for a bolt effect but easily free themselves incase of trouble, 

I also didn't see that suggested to do that with the bead, but surely people who saw it would have complained to them if it was a bad idea, seems pretty obvious that it could be dangerous to me 

13 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I don't use korda leads or lead clips as I don't really use lead clips tbh, so can't really comment 

My go to these days is a fox inline and a tadpole insert these are great tbh they have a enough grip for a bolt effect but easily free themselves incase of trouble, 

I also didn't see that suggested to do that with the bead, but surely people who saw it would have complained to them if it was a bad idea, seems pretty obvious that it could be dangerous to me 

It was recommended when I was fishing at Nazeing probably around 2008, maybe earlier, a couple of fish were found tethered, printed in the national press and on a big thread on here, started by Jemsue, unable to get rid of the rig, attached to leadcore.

Rob Hughes and Simon Crow reported them in CarpTalk.

Korda then backtracked what they said. 

9 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

It was recommended when I was fishing at Nazeing probably around 2008, maybe earlier, a couple of fish were found tethered, printed in the national press and on a big thread on here, started by Jemsue, unable to get rid of the rig, attached to leadcore.

Rob Hughes and Simon Crow reported them in CarpTalk.

Korda then backtracked what they said. 

You just have to hope the lessons were learnt from all that then, nowadays it seems anglers have a duty to be more responsible, which hopefully helps when promoting and making new rigs up, fish safety is definately more at the forefront than it used to be, I was probably not fishing around then so wouldn't have seen it, we are probably all a bit guilty of it in the past, I remember when it was acceptable to have a split shot either side of your ledger 😱

I also think nowadays we are more educated on fish safety so it has become part of the process to fish as safely as possible, which can only be a good thing 👍