Cog lead and Rigs

Old school

10 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

The end of the swivel didn't always detatch from the lead as its supposed to... and as for not being as safe as a lead clip... I don't use those either... inline or running only for me

I think it's a case of the swivel being pushed into the lead too tightly. Same as a lot of guys do with tail rubbers. Imo it's the anglers fault, not the gear.

1 minute ago, bluelabel said:

I'll stick with what I know and have confidence in...

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise mate. I have never and will never use a cog, I'm just saying I do not believe them to be unsafe. Any rig can be unsafe if it's set up badly.

I went with the instrctions on the pack, had a fish on one and the swivel hadn't detached...  so I set up the swivel so it pulled out easily on the bank, dropped it in the water and tried it and the swivel hung up under the water....  never used it again... never a fan of lead clips either, the hookbait can move a long way before it registers on the bobbin... probably the same for an inline and deffo true for an old school lead on the line... but I'm happier using them over a clip any day

10 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

I went with the instrctions on the pack, had a fish on one and the swivel hadn't detached... 

So your intent was to ditch the lead on the take?

Failure to ditch the lead on the take is not a safety issue imo. It's annoying if that is your intent, but not imo unsafe. The purpose of lead clips is to ditch the lead if it becomes snagged. If it can do that then for me it is safe.

I meant so that the short swivel detached from the lead during fight which it did not , this meant that the lead was still attached to the end game at 2 points, making the whole system potentially dangerous... I've never been a fan of ditching the lead in any  circumstance other than safety... I can understand the concept of the COG system, but its execution was flawed...

21 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

the lead was still attached to the end game at 2 points, making the whole system potentially dangerous...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree buddy.

I have no desire to to use them but imho they are not dangerous when set up correctly.

Therein lies the point Yonny... even when set up properly (which it was) the lead was still attached at 2 points after the fish was landed... if my mainline had snapped above the lead I wouldn't like to think of he consequences... its not a case of agreeing or disagreeing... the cog system is flawed... it could certainly be better executed

Edited by bluelabel