new byte alarms over engineered hype

47 minutes ago, yonny said:

The much anticipated alternative from Wolf is nearing release lads:

https://www.wolfint.com/product/icon-q/?location=449 Duncannon St, Charing Cross, London WC2R 0DZ, UK&radius=25

Imo, they look a bit spesh. Market leading specs imo.

I thought the hubb was going to be an app turns out its a proper receiverĀ 

https://www.wolfint.com/product/icon-hubb/

Apparently its got a 2000km range, I'm just popping to see the proclaimers 500 miles away, I will hear them if I get a take its fine šŸ˜

They do look good though I think any idea on price ?Ā 

I watched the sonik Gizmo vid last night they look like an improved version of the sks alarmsĀ 

53 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

If I need to use an alarm, I am probably fishing with very tight lines ā€“ bolt lead style. I am curious to know how people make use of the extra sensitivity of expensive alarms.

I use expensive alarms for two reasons - versatility and reliability.

I tend to use slack, semi-slack and tight line depending on the fishing situation so versatility is important to me.

I'll only fish very tight lines when I'm fishing long and that is one of the occasions whereĀ I want the alarmsĀ at their most sensitive.

1 hour ago, carpepecheur said:

If I need to use an alarm, I am probably fishing with very tight lines ā€“ bolt lead style. I am curious to know how people make use of the extra sensitivity of expensive alarms.

If I can I fish slack lines, with running leads, no need for super sensitive alarms in most cases. However, there are times when I need my alarms turned to maximumĀ sensitivity, working out sensitivityĀ Ā vs undertow and then going as high as I can.

Roller wheel alarms do not give best indication, especially with semi-fixed leads. I have seen, on more than one occasion, an alarm not sounding as the fish took line in a perfect arc, not taking or giving line (dropback).

Ā 

As an add, I also use my Delkims for pike fishing, fishing paternostered float ledgered baits, or plain ledgered baits. I want maximum sensitivity. A big pike will often sit and munch a deadbait on the spot, whereas a smaller jack will pick up and run. I need indication of that pick-up from the big girl. The Delkim will bleep on a float twitch, where my attention may have wandered.

I get the bit about pike fishing. I guess my fishing style does not warrant an expensive alarm so I will stick to my cheapo Chinese alarms at around a fiver each.

My best bite alarm ever is my dog. He lays and watches my rods all day long. Long before I am aware of a bite he jumps up and stares at the rod tip. If I am distracted and do not react, he starts barking.

13 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Roller wheel alarms do not give best indication, especially with semi-fixed leads. I have seen, on more than one occasion, an alarm not sounding as the fish took line in a perfect arc, not taking or giving line (dropback).

These new Wolf jobbies have roller and vibration Nick. The first alarms since the Ace i3's to have that. Nice.

1 minute ago, finchey said:

How long are we talking here yonny? Your long and my long are probably miles apart. šŸ˜‚šŸ‘

I'll have the line bow-string at anything past maybe 70 or 80 yards. At 60 yards I'll go tight but not silly tight. Under 60 is semi slack and under 40 slacker still. All of this depends on weed levels though, I'll fish much tighter in weed.

10 minutes ago, yonny said:

I'll have the line bow-string at anything past maybe 70 or 80 yards. At 60 yards I'll go tight but not silly tight. Under 60 is semi slack and under 40 slacker still. All of this depends on weed levels though, I'll fish much tighter in weed.

Not as long as I thought, I'm fishing 18 wraps on my new lake which is 72 yards if my limited maths is right šŸ¤£Ā clear bottom no sign of any weed so in your opinion yonny should I be fishing tight lines then?šŸ™‚šŸ‘

Edited by finchey

2 hours ago, yonny said:

The much anticipated alternative from Wolf is nearing release lads:

https://www.wolfint.com/product/icon-q/?location=449 Duncannon St, Charing Cross, London WC2R 0DZ, UK&radius=25

Imo, they look a bit spesh. Market leading specs imo.

They are still roller wheels though (aren't they???) and still prone to roller wheel issues ie freezing and line slip... (half the jargon on the link meant nowt to an old gimmer like me)Ā 

Edited by bluelabel
Grammar

35 minutes ago, finchey said:

Not as long as I thought, I'm fishing 18 wraps on my new lake which is 72 yards if my limited maths is right šŸ¤£Ā clear bottom no sign of any weed so in your opinion yonny should I be fishing tight lines then?šŸ™‚šŸ‘

Yes mate, tight lines - once you're past 60/70ish the last 5-10 yards is pinned to the deck anywayšŸ‘

18 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

They are still roller wheels though (aren't they???)

Roller AND vibration on the Qi model bud. Best ofĀ both worlds.

I cast 13.5 wraps last time I was fishing and it gave me a nosebleed šŸ˜

For sensitivity I find my soniks pretty bang on tbh of I can I turn it up to full, it registers most small movements, I think like nick said a lot of sensitivity comes down to lead set up, I think the running rig is much better if you need sensitivity especially if you can get your rod pointed at the spot you are fishing, I found the heli set up gave some weird indications, if I can I use running rigs, but I guess with inlines and bolt rigs they are hopefully helping to get more takes as soon as the bait is picked up,Ā 

23 minutes ago, yonny said:

Yes mate.

If you are using aĀ fixed lead (as opposed to a running rig). surely there are only two possible outcomes - a toner or a drop back, neither of which warrant a sensitive alarm. OR -Ā and perhaps this is where I am missing the point -Ā are you saying that the alarms are so sensitive they can detect movement of the bait even if the lead doesĀ not move?

18 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

two possible outcomes - a toner or a drop back

Bear in mind most of the big carp waters over here are crammed full of weed. IĀ need to try and hit them before they give meĀ a toner. Give them an inch and they'll be balls deep in Canadian.Ā I need that alarm screaming a the first shake of the fish's head once hooked (that initial spasm as they try to throw the lead). I'm fishing the lines so tight I'm hitting single bleeps.Ā 

3 hours ago, yonny said:

Bear in mind most of the big carp waters over here are crammed full of weed. IĀ need to try and hit them before they give meĀ a toner. Give them an inch and they'll be balls deep in Canadian.Ā I need that alarm screaming a the first shake of the fish's head once hooked (that initial spasm as they try to throw the lead). I'm fishing the lines so tight I'm hitting single bleeps.Ā 

Couple that with a quiver type indicator and itā€™s almost perfect as it can get lol

7 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I cast 13.5 wraps last time I was fishing and it gave me a nosebleed šŸ˜

For sensitivity I find my soniks pretty bang on tbh of I can I turn it up to full, it registers most small movements, I think like nick said a lot of sensitivity comes down to lead set up, I think the running rig is much better if you need sensitivity especially if you can get your rod pointed at the spot you are fishing, I found the heli set up gave some weird indications, if I can I use running rigs, but I guess with inlines and bolt rigs they are hopefully helping to get more takes as soon as the bait is picked up,Ā 

Just before Xmas I went up to my dads caravan at carlton meres.Ā 

Got talking to his mate who fishes the lake regularly and he told me there was a nice spot a couple of rod lengths off the big willow on the far magin.Ā 

14.5 wraps he said.Ā 

I had a proper blond moment and somehow told myself that back and forth was one wrap.Ā 

You can imagine what happened when I cast out šŸ˜®

35 minutes ago, muftyboy said:

Just before Xmas I went up to my dads caravan at carlton meres.Ā 

Got talking to his mate who fishes the lake regularly and he told me there was a nice spot a couple of rod lengths off the big willow on the far magin.Ā 

14.5 wraps he said.Ā 

I had a proper blond moment and somehow told myself that back and forth was one wrap.Ā 

You can imagine what happened when I cast out šŸ˜®

A mate I fish with counts his wraps back & forth is 1 wrap , we always have to check which one we are talking about when chatting about spots lol .Ā 

Nige , years ago on a c.com social moved Andy's sticks a bit wider ..... very puzzled look as his sent his rig into the island šŸ˜‚

Did you hit a caravan muft ? šŸ‘€

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

A mate I fish with counts his wraps back & forth is 1 wrap , we always have to check which one we are talking about when chatting about spots lol .Ā 

Nige , years ago on a c.com social moved Andy's sticks a bit wider ..... very puzzled look as his sent his rig into the island šŸ˜‚

3 times, as he done it with both rods, then rewrapped one again before he twigged I think!! šŸ˜‚Ā 

2 hours ago, chillfactor said:

No mate.Ā 

Straight into the willow.Ā 

Luckily no rig, just the lead.Ā 

I was hitting one of the lodges with my throwing stick though.Ā 

Ā