Deal Breakers

Carpbell_ll

When looking at a water you fancy visiting is there anything about the way they are run or rules on bait tackle or angling style that puts you off? 

Nice little water close to me i would like to fish but you have to be a member to fish there that's ok in itself but they also want you to text them and let them know what peg you are in, not that i move pegs much once set up but it's nice to have the option to move freely around the lake without having to send a text message every time. 

3 hours ago, yonny said:

Anywhere you have to book is a no-no for me. I am an angler, I like to find fish and angle for them.

Same here ,although one syndicate I was on we used to have to phone the guy to let him know we where going , that was more so he could monitor the water .

You need freedom to move around ,you could maybe ask the reason why it could be that they have had issues with litter or trouble makers .

The reason I dropped my ticket for a lake I was was new idiotic management rules. Having to book in 24hrs in advance for night fishing. Only fishing from the platforms, which are made from the plastic stuff so you cant even use a drill for stage stands There were a few other things too, it isnt run by anglers though and the estate have no clue apart from what some noddy anglers have told them in the past. Put me right off, but the lads that did stay on have said everyone just flaunts the rules anyway and nothing happens apart from if you litter. 

The whole booking thing is not for me. Neither are hook size rules or barbless rules, or lead size rules. Just plain daft.

2 hours ago, commonly said:

Found it👍

Shh.. if nick was about he would merge them 😮

31 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Battered carp. A few runs waters ive been to. Catching carp in a sorry state. I caught one with a hook in its mouth already. Others with deformed mouths . One eye. Etc etc. These two places both arnt run by fisherman either. No care for who’s fishing there or their stock. Still makes me sad. Won’t be going back 

I avoided runs waters for years as i thought they would be full of battered fish i was surprised to find out that wasn't the case, never had a bad looking fish out of Barston, Stockton res seems alright as well, think most damage comes from the fish dragging snapped off line with the lead still on anglers fishing fixed leads is rare these days, so it is something we should be seeing a lot less of.

On the lake I fish, you have to book a swim in advance. It's not a massive water, only 8 swims in total, and I tend to alternate between my two favourites, depending on the time of year.

There's no stalking, and officially you are not supposed to move swims once there, but the lake is fairly quiet mid-week (when I fish) so if another swim is free you are able to move in, you just need to clear it with the bailiff. 

It also has a tubing rule. I'd much rather fish without it, but dem's the rules.

Our fish are absolutely pristine. 

I fished a lake the other week. It's a membership water. No hard and fast rules. Caught 6, but they were in a terrible state. Deformed mouths, some of the worst I have seen. I'd rather stick it out and blank on my lake than pull 6 of those poor things out every visit. 

Having to book swims and not being allowed to move is CRAZY !!  I wonder what the reasoning behind this rule is @smufter

The fish may not be pristine due to the rules , but more due to the   stock levels and volume of anglers and captures .Agree with you about runs waters not nice to see fish in ropy condition .

17 minutes ago, oscsha said:

Having to book swims and not being allowed to move is CRAZY !!  I wonder what the reasoning behind this rule is @smufter

On the water i mentioned you need to text them your peg number it is so they can keep track of who's in what peg.  I follow the fishery on FB they were raging the other day due to someone dropping a deuce  in the peg and leaving for the staff to clear up, it's not an overgrown water the pegs are open view so they must of done it at night, too scared to walk up to the lavs in the dark.

10 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

On the water i mentioned you need to text them your peg number it is so they can keep track of who's in what peg.  I follow the fishery on FB they were raging the other day due to someone dropping a deuce  in the peg and leaving for the staff to clear up, it's not an overgrown water the pegs are open view so they must of done it at night, too scared to walk up to the lavs in the dark.

wow says more about society than rules ! So even with rules in place this still happens instant BAN imo . You'll always get idiots unfortunately carp fishing seems to attract its fair share. 

3 minutes ago, smufter said:

To avoid swims being double booked mate 

I wonder who's idea it was originally to book swims , a bailiff with a favorite swim maybe :) No booking swims would mean you could move .Would do my nut in if I see fish and could move due to a swim being booked and seeing it empty for hours .  

47 minutes ago, oscsha said:

So even with rules in place this still happens instant BAN imo .

I agree.

What you want on any lake is a bunch of members that will treat the water, its inhabitants, and the other members, with respect.

You cannot achieve that by setting silly rules. It's counter productive. An idiot will still be an idiot regardless of any rules in place.

You need to ban the idiots so the good guys can get on with their angling in a pleasant environment, using whatever gear/tactics/baits they want, sensibly and safely.

These stupid rules solve nothing.... bans on moving swims, using braid, using retainers, nuts, maggots, floaters....... the list goes on...... but you still have a lake surrounded by idiots that will misuse some other tactic or piece of kit. To fix the root cause you have to get rid of the idiots.

4 hours ago, oscsha said:

I wonder who's idea it was originally to book swims , a bailiff with a favorite swim maybe :) No booking swims would mean you could move .Would do my nut in if I see fish and could move due to a swim being booked and seeing it empty for hours .  

The only time I've seen our Bailiff fish was in France a couple of weeks ago mate.

Look at it from another angle. Say you had booked your "favourite" swim to then turn up and see that somebody else has been in there 10 minutes before you, filling it in???

3 minutes ago, oscsha said:

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is choose a swim before arriving IMO. 

I've been guilty of making this mistake,a very silly one to make 

also what if you find fish in an unfancied unloved area you prebait create a great situation then you have to then book it and give the game away,