Your favourite capture

Dave Hedgehog

Do they own or rent it?

Have they tried a EA or local authority, business loan/grant?

My friend rents 2 small lakes from local council, they just spent alot of money on the damns. They haven't even put his rent up.

There are several good fish farms local to me. Fry upto 40+ lb, give it 5_10 years it could / should get back to form. + fencing obviously. How big is it

On 11/01/2019 at 18:18, chillfactor said:

Well lads what can I say , very depressing day to be an angler ! Absolutely no big fish left so the common above has been had this winter as I spotted it in the summer . Even the small amount of fish left the majority of them had half a tail .

So from my findings today if your on a water getting hit hard by otters in a few years there be nothing left & what is will more likely be damaged . The future looks proper grim !  

Horrid mate. 

1 hour ago, Dannygooner said:

Mate that is depressing. I was on a local riverway today roving with a light quiver. Looking for chub. It's the water I mentioned the other day that clubs gave up due to otters feasting on its stock. Need I say not even a bite. Truly baron. A dog walker passed me and we got talking. He said he used to see carcasses regularly on his walks but not anymore. The otters have had the lions share and moved on it would seem. The future really does look grim. I've seen carcasses round my local reservoir too ,of decent fish . Three to date. They've cleared out two park ponds I used to frequent.  Angling in the uk could be left in a sorry state. 

I own a little stretch of river used to love taking my boy down there to fish for brownies & silver's ... nothing much left in there now . I think your right about angling in the UK , but it's not "could be"  it will be mate ...it's already started as you know from first hand experience.  

23 hours ago, yonny said:

Brutal @chillfactor. That's a real shame mate. Gutted for you.

Brutals  the right word mate.... moved 6 fish from that lake to a small pond around half acre , literally in someone's back garden tge kitchen window looks over it ... about 4-5 miles away from the lake . they didn't last a night Four of them on the bank the next morning .

Unbelievable 

IMG_2618.jpg.6b05b6ccfee1b0731a1f33aea7ca302f.jpg

59 minutes ago, commonly said:

Let's start a petition to get something done about this lads! 

I'm not on Facebook or the others, but surely if we pool resources we can get 100,000 names. If not for us, then our kids & theirs! 

Petition has been going for ages mate.

Signed it a couple of years ago.

11 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Anyone got any info on how the canal network is fairing? just wondering if the otters would be put-off by a narrow man made waterway, maybe the inner city stretches could be a bit of a safe haven for larger fish.

Plenty of signs of otters up and down Grantham canal - and very few signs of carp as a result. I'd expect similar all around the country tbh.

4 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Anyone got any info on how the canal network is fairing? just wondering if the otters would be put-off by a narrow man made waterway, maybe the inner city stretches could be a bit of a safe haven for larger fish.

I like your way of thinking and if these otters were not illegally hand reared then maybe inner city areas would be safer for the fish, however these damn creatures are not scared of humans and have been known to take koi from gardens in housing estates.  They are on busy day ticket lakes in daylight, they have no fear of us.

IMO nowhere is safe for long, they have done lakes near me that are nowhere near a water course, on paper I would have said no way will they have otters!!!

The guys I know who are up & down the country netting all winter Kev . Were at a commercial day ticket  lake in Northampton last week . Turns out there's only a couple of carp left in there.... the owner couldn't believe it considering what the stock should of been . He had seen the odd patch of scales but didn't think for a minute he had been wiped out . 

I completely agree Kev .... it's just a matter of time for all un fenced venues the way the last 5 years has exploded compared to the previous 5 . 

If you have fishing in your area guys then make the most of it & cherish the captures even more . 

How Many of our favourite captures on this thread are already gone .... won't be just one of mine,  that's for sure ! 

20 hours ago, yonny said:

Plenty of signs of otters up and down Grantham canal - and very few signs of carp as a result. I'd expect similar all around the country tbh.

Unbelievably the very day I wrote that (yesterday) just so happened to be the day I saw my first otter on Grantham Canal!

Last night I was on my usual mountain bike hoon along the canal and I spotted a pair of eyes in the torch light at water level on the far side. I assumed it was a fox drinking (there's loads of foxes round here) but as I got closer it became clear exactly what it was. It had already clocked me (I use 2 x very high power lights for night biking) and as I got nearer it turned, climbed the steep bank (giving me a crystal clear look at it), and did the off into the undergrowth. I was a bit taken aback tbh.... I've seen plenty of mustelids in my time including loads of mink but this thing was bloomin' massive.

I've been spotting signs of otters all last year along that stretch and didn't spot one carp in 2018 where as previously I knew exactly where they could be found. I'm basically taking that sighting as confirmation those carp are gone.

I can't believe that only 12,000 people signed the petition to government to consider a cull. We need to get 100,000 

Does this government realise, the amount of revenue from carping alone! Fisheries are a business & its hard enough, without the risk & high probability of loosing the stock that gets anglers on the bank. I feel most are likely to close, forcing massive price increases, to the reminder & so as usual, the wealthy can carry on regardless, whilst common folk can go love themselves! 

Something has to be done??

I don't buy this whole nature will balance out with the top predator now flourishing poo that is wheeled out by the tree huggers & government

50 minutes ago, commonly said:

I can't believe that only 12,000 people signed the petition to government to consider a cull. We need to get 100,000 

That petition was a complete joke buddy, it was never going anywhere. It was for "For the introduction of non-lethal means of control of the Otter (Lutra- lutra)" when a license to trap and relocate (i.e. none lethal) otters is already available. They were petitioning for something that already exists!

1 hour ago, commonly said:

Something has to be done??

No one is going to change things for us in the short term, we need to do it ourselves. If the waters you fish aint being fenced you need to persuade them to fence it, and assist with the costs, or walk away. The time for shouting for change is way passed, it's too late already.

3 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

What happens to the food chain if fish from the riverways dissapear also? I'm sure there are negative effects 

There is no "if" buddy. The rivers are almost empty already.

24 minutes ago, yonny said:

That petition was a complete joke buddy, it was never going anywhere. It was for "For the introduction of non-lethal means of control of the Otter (Lutra- lutra)" when a license to trap and relocate (i.e. none lethal) otters is already available. They were petitioning for something that already exists!

No one is going to change things for us in the short term, we need to do it ourselves. If the waters you fish aint being fenced you need to persuade them to fence it, and assist with the costs, or walk away. The time for shouting for change is way passed, it's too late already.

There is no "if" buddy. The rivers are almost empty already.

Ditto all of that - well said mate.

22 hours ago, yonny said:

to change things for us in the short term, we need to do it ourselves

22 hours ago, yonny said:

That petition was a complete joke buddy, it was never going anywhere. It was for "For the introduction of non-lethal means of control of the Otter (Lutra- lutra)" when a license to trap and relocate (i.e. none lethal) otters is already available. They were petitioning for something that already exists

Why not start a petition for lethal means of control?? 

Surely there's more fishermen than tree huggers??