Your favourite capture

Dave Hedgehog

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

To be honest, I couldn't just pick one, there are too many with memories:

28lb, from a river, at the time a pb, caught in a 3 hour trip.

My first 30, or the 3 biggest 20's from the reservoir, all weighing 24.12

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

More than 1 choice is more than welcome! Salokcinnodrog some lovely fish there, that first mirror looks really special.

The fully scaled came on the night after the London Bombings. My mate Bruce was on the train when the bomb went off, about 2metres away from it. The poor lady in front of him RIP. I actually caught another fish that night a 23.8, and Bruce was my regular photographer. He would always come down to do my pictures, no matter where he was *.

I had tried phoning him to get him to cone down  and his phone just went straight to voicemail, which never happened. After phoning other mates to find out how he was my mate Al came down to take pics.

*The river 28 I had had to work late Thursday setting up the bars at Ipswich Town Hall and Corn Exchange for a function Friday night, so when Bruce drove up to Taverham, I couldn't go. My alternative was to go down to the river for a few hours Friday. The take happened as I was getting ready to pack up, in fact I had dismantled the landing net. Bruce packed up at Taverham and made it back to Ipswich in a hour to do the photographs.

When I first joined Earith I had done a blank not knowing the lake, but the second session Bruce and I walked round looking properly. We set up on the causeway between Pats and Virginia with the rods into Virginia. Before dark I managed to land my first fish from the lake, a beautiful double figure common, which was photographed at the same time as Bruce had a take. Later that evening just as it was getting dark, I managed to hook and land a 24lb mirror.

Another Earith session, middle of February, around 1am a real screamer resulted in my first ever 25lb common, and at the time I guess it must have been my second biggest fish. The syndicate owner Ian Jones came down to do the pictures in the night about 10minutes after the phonecall. I had just expected it to switch to answerphone, but he promised to come down.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For pure exitment it has to be this mirror from the ebro.

My mate already had a mid 40 common in the net so the guide just jumped straight in and grabbed it with hands .

I was buzzing for days after this.

7 hours ago, muftyboy said:

For pure exitment it has to be this mirror from the ebro.

My mate already had a mid 40 common in the net so the guide just jumped straight in and grabbed it with hands .

I was buzzing for days after this.

Helps if I put a pic with it eh.

FB_IMG_1527708422331.jpg

41 minutes ago, muftyboy said:

Alright show off lol.

I think I've said this before but I don't think I've ever seen you post a pic that was not an absolute stunner mate.

It’s hard not to post on threads like this without the fear of coming across like a bragger! 

I have been fortunate enough to select venues that I spend time on, that contain lookers. You can only catch what’s in the lakes that you fish on! 

19 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

It’s hard not to post on threads like this without the fear of coming across like a bragger! 

I have been fortunate enough to select venues that I spend time on, that contain lookers. You can only catch what’s in the lakes that you fish on! 

I wasn't having a dig mate.

I love seeing other people's pics.

Especially when they look like that. 

Gives me motivation. 

21 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

I know you weren’t matey. 

My plan is that in about 5 years time my daughter will be more grown up and independent and I will have a few more quid in the bank to start venturing out to all these places that hold these sort of carp.

But then again the plan 5 years ago was that I'd be retired by now and fishing every day lol.

39 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Come on then!! I’ve only started this thread for the story’s to save me spending 40 quid on Pennings new book!

So, when you book out churn pool, you can have the use of the lodge on the site. The lake is set out in a way that you can cover the whole lake from 4 swims. Each of which is close enough to the lodge to fish from safely. 

The lodge itself has two sets of sliding full glass doors looking out to the lake. 

When sat in there of an evening, we generally keep the doors open unless it’s really cold, with our receivers by the doors waiting to alert us of any action. 

Micks screamed off one evening and as he ran out at full pace, he slid the door, thinking he was opening it when in reality, he closed it on himself and smashed straight into the glass, nose first!!!!!

phil and I were literally rolling around on the floor in uncontrollable laughter. 

It was one of those had to be there moments but I still wet myself when ever I think about it!!

19 minutes ago, muftyboy said:

My plan is that in about 5 years time my daughter will be more grown up and independent and I will have a few more quid in the bank to start venturing out to all these places that hold these sort of carp.

But then again the plan 5 years ago was that I'd be retired by now and fishing every day lol.

Having a daughter and having a few quid in the bank don’t exactly go together 😆

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Having a daughter and having a few quid in the bank don’t exactly go together 😆

Tell me about it!

2 daughters, one son and a granddaughter for me.

Another one for you, that also involves Bruce, my first fish from Ardleigh.

I had seen a group of males getting ready in the margins on the other side of the stream, none of the females were there, so I took a chuck with a pineapple pop-up and had my first fish from the reservoir. I called Bruce on his mobile to come and do some pics, and  as he was there and we were celebrating and chatting after the pics I had the battle scarred mirror in my original post give a proper take from out in the middle.

The bottom pic is a favourite of mine, and comes with a story.

I had set up in Antz on Brackens, but lost 2 fish as they came charging towards me and then into the snags to my left. As the angler in Bridge had packed up I moved in there and baited the same spot with a number of large stringers, and when I say large...

Within 10 minutes of the last of those loads of those beasts going in I had one of the most sought after fish in the pool, the 2 tone Linear at 28. Over the next two days after topping up with bait by stringer I had another two 20's.

Sadly the pic of the 28 is half in shadow, but the fish itself.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One more from me.

I started to fish billingford lakes just after it opened, it had been unfished for around 20 years according to the locals.

I had a few sessions in the summer and autumn but not a single carp.

It was a freezing cold new years eve and the 1st time I'd ever used maggots to target carp.

About 1 hour in had this beauty.

As far as I could tell it had never been caught before.

Not a scratch on it.

Felt quite guilty for putting a hole in its lip to be honest.

FB_IMG_1545135432606.jpg

Very difficult this coz there are a few that come close for various reasons.

This is a fish later named Arnie by friends that came from a Notts day only club water, it turned out to be the biggest and one I had only seen once in 3-4 years.

I love this  capture soley due to the effort involved and the small amount of time available due to family commitments, but a 2am start until 11am one Saturday morning and several moves eventually put me onto the big fish group after spotting the most elusive ghosty, again only my second sighting.

30 mins fishing with 2 rods in the margin saw 2 takes - the first being a gut wrenching loss - then to my amazement a 2nd take, plodding battle and unknown to me Italian blood line whacker! Get in 😊

36 mirror_a.png

As above, quite a few fond memories stirred up, thinking of which one to choose? 

Close was my first ever carp, when I thought, what the blooming hell have I hooked here!!! Unforgettable! 

But this lump has stood as my pb for quite a few years now. One of the few 30'S on a hard weedy little syndicate.

I fished it on & off for 2 years, blanked, before I found the spots, the bait, the rig. I put in the effort to catch almost all the target fish in the lake. Just the big common eluded me. Dammit! 

Those were the days I could go every week!! 

IMG-20181219-WA0001.jpg