Respooling - Want a GOOD line

9 hours ago, crusian said:

Hi Highy

There was a post about lines not so long ago , and basically what Yonny said was different lines for different jobs   i.e. snag line , distance casting etc .

So what would you want  your line to do Highy ? .

😃

Ooo yeh...remember that...mainly an all rounder but i never cast far...at most 50 60 yards but do like a good snag/feature if there is 1..at moment im on Gardener GTHD 15lb..the copolymer line.

Edited by Highy

2 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

Any mono or copolymer line will degrade in sunlight and so 2 or 3 years is pushing it. I always store my lines in an air tight biscuit tin to keep them safe. A year on one line is probably pushing it for safety. If you did want a line for that long then braid is your only option.

Thought about Braid...some waters i planto fish next year dont allow braid as mainline...might stick to my Gardner but a new spool.

15 minutes ago, oscsha said:

If your fishing smallish waters and casting 50-60 meters then even if strip 150 meters off each spool , that will still allow you to get two years out of a new 1000 meter spool.

Ive had my gardner line on for about 12 month now but was stored in a cupboard in garage for a while...new spool i think for new reels.

21 hours ago, Highy said:

Hi all

I want to respool my 3 BP10 reels - Want a GOOD line that will last 2/3 seasons.

Low diameter...strong lb...Round £20

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Sorry but for the cost of line I will usually replace it 2 or 3 times a year.

I use or have used various lines over the years, and the best for my purposes cost less than £20, in most cases £10.

Daiwa Sensor, which due to fishing near weed and snags would get changed every 3 months, the line was still good, but I would not take a chance after fish have taken me through lily beds and roots, which can be be covered in snails and mussels.

The same with Gardner Pro.

Both of those cost around £9.99.

If you want a casting line, then that would definitely get changed regularly, the force of a cast can be brutal on knots, even with shockleaders. I don't use an out and out casting line since Shimano Catana was taken off the market.

For my co-polymer fluoro coated hopefully low visibility line, I get a season out of them, but at around £20 a pop P-line Floroclear does not cast as well as more supple mono's.

13 hours ago, Highy said:

Ooo yeh...remember that...mainly an all rounder but i never cast far...at most 50 60 yards but do like a good snag/feature if there is 1..at moment im on Gardener GTHD 15lb..the copolymer line.

Hi Highy

I have been having a few problems with my Rig Marole SLS Specimen ( which may be nothing to do with the line ) , so I'm trialling Gardner HydroTuff because I'm a snag / feature Man too ! .

The Gardner's not what I would call low diameter though . I also store any line spools in a biscuit tin as Golden Paws says until I change the line on my reel spools ( once a year ) .

😃

like most are saying I change no less than twice a year and the I tend to strip about 20 yards off every few months as I found that gets the most damage.

the amount of money I pay for bait, season tickets, terminal tackle and time skimping on something as important as line is madness

you'll be lucky to find a line that will last 3 years.

if I wanted to make £20 worth of line last me 3 years id use daiwa sensor and fill all spools and when its looking a bit naff turn the line round and use the line on the inside of the spool.

13 minutes ago, Highy said:

Based on Yonnys...absolute knowledge...going down the ALL ROUNDER option...ESP syncro XT 15lb or Daiwa sensor CLEAR in 12lb or 15lb...these also have a breaking strain higher and smaller diameter than stated..

Strangely enough I never got on with the clear Sensor. It doesn't knot as easily as the brown/green version, and it is not as supple.

On 05/11/2018 at 19:42, yonny said:

@Highy, get the standard version...... not the Loaded version. Both are good but the standard XT behaves much, much better.

RIGHT...ive soaked my line for 12hrs in water...loaded on both my reels...

PROBLEM...if i get a 3rd reel...i need a new spool.

My BP10 spools hold 440 yards of line at 0.35mm...440 yards is 402mtrs...2 spools at 804 meters out...of 1000mtr spool.

Edited by Highy

4 minutes ago, crusian said:

I have Garcia Mitchell 301 reels and Mitchell made Arbors that turn say a large capacity spool into a medium capacity spool ; is there nothing like that available for your spools Highy ? .

Alternatively I would go with old line as Oscsha says , but making sure that the diameters match  ? .

😀

Yeh...peobs match up gardner gthd to the esp...but being me...probs just buy new spool...jus that thought in back of mi head.