MAINLINE what is everyone using?

might be interested in this rig marole line you mention. I take it that's without a leader mate ?

Correct bud, no leader. You'd probs get away with the 15 lb with no leader. I know you can really cast so I bet you'd go miles with it.

It's great stuff, hard as nails. I got snagged up last year on some kind of root right in the margins, I had to pull for a break and basically couldn't break it (the line stretched a little before pulling this root right out of the lake bed). Yet it casts (!?!).

I'm going to France in a few months to a water that's all 100 yards + fishing, last year I put a casting line on for this trip but this time I'm just leaving the SLS on, it's absolutely fine.

Just ordered some in 15lb yonny.... thanks for the info .

Will get it loaded & give it a good testing down the field

Sound mate 8)

Not that I'm doubting Yonny for a minute , but could you report back on your test results please Chill ? , it would be good to have 2 reviews ; and if Nick does his bench tests and compares the results against Diawa Sensor Brown and Gardner Pro Carp Light Blend I'll be a very happy bunny .

:)  

Not that I'm doubting Yonny for a minute , but could you report back on your test results please Chill ? , it would be good to have 2 reviews ; and if Nick does his bench tests and compares the results against Diawa Sensor Brown and Gardner Pro Carp Light Blend I'll be a very happy bunny .

:)

Not at all bud, I too would like to hear feedback - I've only tried the 18 lb, just bought another spool a few weeks back, and wondering if I should have tried the 15 lb myself.

Will do gents :wink:

hey guys , those of you that are using Wychwood DPF line can you give me an idea of how your finding this line , does it knot well and how about the line coming off the spool is it straight or showing signs of it coiling now its been on your spools for a while ?

cheers dave 

I've had my DPF line on my reels now for about 4 or 5 months. and I have no complaints whatsoever regarding it's performance.

It has a very low diameter for it's given breaking strain, (I'm actually spooled up with 18lb which looks no "bulkier" than my previous 12lb Technium), it knots very well, casts well, sinks like a stone and hangs nicely from the rings.

It shows no tendency to coil. I personally love it.

But....... (there's always a "but" isn't there!)..using it has coincided with me experiencing the worst run of blanks I've ever had, Subsequently, I cannot give any constructive feedback on it's fish playing qualities.

I'm not blaming the line, as I have been fishing notoriously difficult waters since switching over to it. 

The only "easier" water I have fished since spooling up with it it saw me bank a small common within an hour of arriving but then the lake was invaded by a horde of idiots which saw me packing up and coming home. Had I stayed and fished I have no doubts that I would have caught more, but I couldn't be bothered.

I have noticed I have experienced more "liners" with it than my previous line, whether this is down to the fact that it is reported to be more difficult to see under water and the fish are just bumping into it rather than avoiding it I don't know. That's getting too technical for me, but it has been significant enough to be noticeable.

At least if I'm getting liners I know the fish are out there though.....somewhere (other than around my bait lol!).

Rob 

I've had my DPF line on my reels now for about 4 or 5 months. and I have no complaints whatsoever regarding it's performance.

It has a very low diameter for it's given breaking strain, (I'm actually spooled up with 18lb which looks no "bulkier" than my previous 12lb Technium), it knots very well, casts well, sinks like a stone and hangs nicely from the rings.

It shows no tendency to coil. I personally love it.

But....... (there's always a "but" isn't there!)..using it has coincided with me experiencing the worst run of blanks I've ever had, Subsequently, I cannot give any constructive feedback on it's fish playing qualities.

I'm not blaming the line, as I have been fishing notoriously difficult waters since switching over to it. 

The only "easier" water I have fished since spooling up with it it saw me bank a small common within an hour of arriving but then the lake was invaded by a horde of idiots which saw me packing up and coming home. Had I stayed and fished I have no doubts that I would have caught more, but I couldn't be bothered.

I have noticed I have experienced more "liners" with it than my previous line, whether this is down to the fact that it is reported to be more difficult to see under water and the fish are just bumping into it rather than avoiding it I don't know. That's getting too technical for me, but it has been significant enough to be noticeable.

At least if I'm getting liners I know the fish are out there though.....somewhere (other than around my bait lol!).

Rob 

thanks rob , nice clear report , made me laugh with packing up because of the idiots bit .... 

dave 

thanks rob , nice clear report , made me laugh with packing up because of the idiots bit .... 

dave 

It wouldn't have if you were there Dave.

Vauxhall Corsa full of chavs, I could hear what they were talking about 200 yards away.

Beethoven's 6th played out for an hour or so on bite alarms.

Some geezer doing an impression of Stevie Wonder spodding.

The list goes on.

LOL  Ive been quite lucky since returning to fishing this year , I joined a club that has a few waters on its book , one that I have been fishing is only a small water and even though ive not caught yet , its been just me fishing , i think more members fish it in the summer months but im happy to be there on my own , the only down side is this year the powers that be have decided that you can only fish one rod .. 

dave  

These liners, surely there must be a reason, maybe the fish were a rod length out and were just bumping into your line. People say they had liners all day etc but never move their rods closer to find out where the fish are. I don't really get liners, esp syncro xt loaded fished like you have back leads on!!

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Been using the Gardner HD this year. Very impressed with it since moving from Ultima Power Carp. Diameter to breaking strain ratio is great. I use the 15lb and its not bulky at all compared to some lines. Sinks very well and as I fish slack a lot it really is good. It is prone to a little bit of coil but only seen this after I've been snagged up and line stretched a little. Normal use it's very supple and easy to work with. I don't cast long range but have hit 100yd with it with my 2.75tc rods (as said I dont fish long range as I dont have a need to mostly). also knots well. I rate it highly.

I would be interested to test the wychwood stuff as its an interesting concept, although it becomes less visible after 5ft depth and totally disappears after 15-18ft (sources vary) so unless you are deeper lake does it make much of a difference? especially as algae and bits will still stick to it? 

I used to use 18lb sensor for river fishing and thats tough stuff, actually snapped a leadless leader before the knot joining it to the line!! But will probably try the 18lb HD stuff in the future.

These liners, surely there must be a reason, maybe the fish were a rod length out and were just bumping into your line. People say they had liners all day etc but never move their rods closer to find out where the fish are.

That's the thing Phil, you never know where the fish are.

They could be cruising around just under the surface a few yards out just where your line enters the water, they could be a foot in front of your bait mooching around the bottom, they could be swimming around 4 feet down halfway across.

You could spend all day experimenting and not get anywhere. I just look on it as it's nice to know there are fish out there somewhere.

I've never had a liner from one that's swum around the back of my rig though.

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:

And this is my point, if they were cruising about top layers you wouldnt be getting liners and if your line was pinned down it stands to reason the only way to get a liner was if as you say were bumping into line as it enters the water. So i would put a bait under the rod tips on which ever rod you had liners

I have had liners on slack lines and running leads!

Proper bleeps on the Delkims at that

I watched a shoal of small roach and perch cruising and banging into the lines as they 'fell' down under the rod tips before they ran along the lakebed. This was on Gardner Pro, can't remember whether it was the Light or Dark though, it was a few seasons ago.

On the right hand rod in that swim no liners until I got a take, mind you the bait was fished about 2metres away from the rod tip to the right in the margins over a load of bait.

These liners, surely there must be a reason, maybe the fish were a rod length out and were just bumping into your line. People say they had liners all day etc but never move their rods closer to find out where the fish are. I don't really get liners, esp syncro xt loaded fished like you have back leads on!!

That's the thing Phil, you never know where the fish are.

They could be cruising around just under the surface a few yards out just where your line enters the water, they could be a foot in front of your bait mooching around the bottom, they could be swimming around 4 feet down halfway across.

You could spend all day experimenting and not get anywhere. I just look on it as it's nice to know there are fish out there somewhere.

I've never had a liner from one that's swum around the back of my rig though.

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:

And this is my point, if they were cruising about top layers you wouldnt be getting liners and if your line was pinned down it stands to reason the only way to get a liner was if as you say were bumping into line as it enters the water. So i would put a bait under the rod tips on which ever rod you had liners

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/01/2017 at 08:46, yonny said:

Not at all bud, I too would like to hear feedback - I've only tried the 18 lb, just bought another spool a few weeks back, and wondering if I should have tried the 15 lb myself.

Not sure about the colour mate :shock::lol:

20170213_144314_zpscewelk2v.jpg

Bedded on well , was hitting the clip at 140 with it yonny, in cross winds so can't moan at that . I can tell it's got the  abrasion properties you mentioned too, did a little test & it can take some real abuse before it gives up, 

Thanks for the heads up 8)

That colour though :shock:

I quite like the colour Chill..... pop it on the deck next time your down the pond, it blends in pretty well with almost anything. Do know what you mean though - when I fist spooled up it surprised me too.

Glad you like it otherwise, that abrasion resistance is something else eh..... defo the toughest line I've used.

You use the same reels as me fella. That pic could be of my spool lol.....