A Bit Of Interactive Bank Chat

Gazlaaar

23 hours ago, bigtrev said:

It does seem unseasonally warm at the minute so im going to take advantage and get out as much as I can.  I normally Pike fish at this time of the year but Ive packed a small bag with carp bits and bait just in case I spot any activity.  I might even end up fishing on Christmas day itself.

There is free fishing at Drayton Res on Christmas day, 7am-5pm.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/free-fishing-at-drayton-reservoir-this-christmas

how the hell do the CRT get away with calling it " the country’s best specimen carp fishery"?

has got some massive carp tho, i did hear of a 20lber coming out last week and with carp averaging 14-16lb it will soon be on a par with the likes of linear or even monument, could even say it will be the UKs very own GIGANTICA!! 🤔 😂 😂

I was at Naseby yesterday Pike fishing and there were five other anglers all fishing for carp still.  The guy who came down to check the water levels also told me that Drayton was free on Christmas day.  I used to work at Daventry and would pass the resi entrance on my way to and from work.  It is always packed with anglers. I still haven't fished there.  It just doesn't hold any interest for me to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, B.C. said:

A rise in temps coinciding with a bit of spare time this coming week should see my first session of this year. So after respooling my reels and a bit of a sort out over the weekend should be set to go on Monday. Gonna squeeze a couple of walkabouts in too on some new waters. But will most likely fish the club lake, as I know a bit more about this water. Haven't walked it for a little while, hoping the water levels are back up. Also got to get some bait rolling going on, as I wanted that out the way by the end of this month.

Me too mate.

Gonna go for a few hours down my local club lake on Monday and then have a drive down to Kent on Tuesday on the hunt for some decent perch.

• 2 months later...

Work party tomorrow morning on a club lake, then a good walk round the syndi late afternoon/evening. Supposed to be quite mild, so hopefully see something pop it's head out .Gonna use up the last 2kg of last years bait on a midweek session on my old club lake, hopefully 48hrs. There's a week left on the ticket My weekend is a bit staggered finishing off a job and doing a work party.... And what with the up and down weather we've had, The few walkabouts I've done have been pretty much fruitless. My season starts proper on Monday. By that, I mean, I can really start putting my head into my new waters..... Out with the old and in with the new.... Buzzing :).

On 24/03/2018 at 15:50, B.C. said:

Work party tomorrow morning on a club lake, then a good walk round the syndi late afternoon/evening. Supposed to be quite mild, so hopefully see something pop it's head out .Gonna use up the last 2kg of last years bait on a midweek session on my old club lake, hopefully 48hrs. There's a week left on the ticket My weekend is a bit staggered finishing off a job and doing a work party.... And what with the up and down weather we've had, The few walkabouts I've done have been pretty much fruitless. My season starts proper on Monday. By that, I mean, I can really start putting my head into my new waters..... Out with the old and in with the new.... Buzzing :).

How did you get on mate? I blanked but was nice to get out for a bit lol

On 26/03/2018 at 06:43, jh92 said:

How did you get on mate? I blanked but was nice to get out for a bit lol

Hi, mate, only just seen your post..... The work party was well worth it on the Sunday, good to meet a few anglers on my club ticket and get a little insight into one of the lakes, albeit other species, tench and perch.... The carp scene on that lake is pretty hush, a good few visits needed and a bit of working it out for yourself on that front, but tbh, that suits me..........

The 48hr session on the old club lake. Well, I went for a look the evening before I was meant to go and it proper knocked the stuffing out of me.... Someone has fly tipped near the gate and no one's bothered to clear it, been there for a few months now, dirty kecks in the car park and two lads fishing with 3 rods out each and nowhere to be seen. I found them chatting at the other end of the lake , whilst I was doing a lap. Had a word, even though I don't bailiff it anymore.. It's gone to the dogs a bit, to top it off I heard that one of the bigguns was found belly up a few weeks ago, but the club aren't saying much as to whether it was ottered or not, they are a PLC and are frightened of a drop in membership..... For the record it was a nice linear of around 37lb at this time of year. So glad I'm out of that club for now. I never bothered with the session, felt gutted for a couple of days and just walked around my new syndicate a few times, didn't see much.....

It peed it down for the next couple of days and then we've got the bank holiday.... Tuesday looks good for me now, back on an old ticket I used to fish. Two lakes, one being a runs water... If the main lake is busy, I'll plot up on the runs water see how it goes.....

Here's the Lin at 35lb couple of Autumns ago...... RIP.

14409598_1174792962584478_851554860378966444_o (4).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Only one on the lake. Not quite sure what’s going on!

just lost one of the rare commons from the lake too. Fresh lily growth meant I gave it the elbow a bit more than I should have and ping went the hook and burnt went my dinner! All round nightmare. 

Things can only get better.  Hope the lake pays you back with a kipper or 2. 

13 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Things can only get better.  Hope the lake pays you back with a kipper or 2. 

Had one of the stockies about an hour ago. Didn’t break in to double figures. More chances will come, im just blessed to have the lake to myself on a stunning day. I thought it would be rammed. 

1 minute ago, greekskii said:

Had one of the stockies about an hour ago. Didn’t break in to double figures. More chances will come, im just blessed to have the lake to myself on a stunning day. I thought it would be rammed. 

and i had to put up with a couple of iced ciders while baking in the garden 😂

On the bank for a few hours hoping to bank one. Thought I'd leave the brolly at home cos the forecast was clear...half way around the lake the skies open up, thunder and lightning. I've set up in it determined to catch one. It's stopped for now but just looked behind me and it seems there's more coming 😂😂 Think I'm gonna wait it out cos the gear is wet anyway lol

Lost a nice one, not sure if it was a 20 but a good double. It was heading towards a post so I stopped it from taking any more line and the hook pulled lol. I'm getting done by liners though, my alarms are going every five minutes, the problem is is that I'm using worms and not sure if their still on my rig or not lol 

Been baiting a spot on the canal with 20 boilies a day since Monday, gone down this afternoon for a few hours to see if I can catch anything. 2 rods out with one fishing with a 16mm boilie and a trimmed down 15mm popup on top. The other fishing a 16mm boilie with the sides shaved off with a grain of fake corn on top. Bait I'm using is Nash instant action pineapple crush. Lovely afternoon 👍👍

10 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Is there a head of bream in there because they'll get rid of that quick. 

I'd be looking to put at minimum half a kilo of boilies on a spot for prebaiting, or bulking out a smaller number of baits with tiger nuts and other particles.

Yeah there's a big head of bream in here mate. Since I've been here I've put in another 20 or so baits, there's fish in the area though, I've heard 2 big splashes, not sure if it was carp, but it wasn't small fish 👍👍 Lots of movement on the surface, tempted to try a zig rig lol

1 minute ago, jh92 said:

Yeah there's a big head of bream in here mate. Since I've been here I've put in another 20 or so baits, there's fish in the area though, I've heard 2 big splashes, not sure if it was carp, but it wasn't small fish 👍👍 Lots of movement on the surface, tempted to try a zig rig lol

personally I would use more bait to keep the fish feeding. 20 boilies could be gone in seconds with a big head of bream. even 200 would be. just my opinion of course but I think it would at least swing in your favour to bait up with considerably more. 

I was baiting under a tree on a river a few years back. due to the bream and chub I was putting in 20-25kg of maize in 3 times a week. I'd shimmy up the tree and have a look once finished and that maize looked like barely anything on the bottom. The bream and chub would clear most of it in minutes and the 24mm boilies would be moved around all over the place by the small chub trying to eat them.