Triggalink

Lumeymorris

I just watched a video on YouTube, kevin Nash monster pursuit and this guy had this elastic braid called triggering I've never herd of it before but like the way it works so I've just purchased it.

Anyone on here got any experience with it? Can you u use it for any rig treating it like a normal braid or are there limited options and what's the best type of not for it?

I've used it.

Hate to say it, but IMO it's horrible fella.

Off the spool it's like a normal braid but with high diameter. It loves to fray so you need to be really careful tying rigs. It retracts (into it's elastic state) when it's wet. This takes a while. The problem is no matter how well you prepare it (wet it), I found it continues to retract once submerged. As it does so it twists and coils and can end up looking horrible at best and simply not presenting the bait effectively at worst. I'd submerge the rigs for half an hour to achieve full elasticity prior to casting out but would still have problems. I ended up binning it simply as I wasn't happy that I was presenting the hook bait well enough. I could never be 100% sure it was fishing well.

Confidence is everything in carp angling and I just had no confidence the bait was presented with this stuff.

You can acheive the bungy effect by tying a length of pole elastic to your hooklink and trapping it in the lead swivel.

Or use a braided hooklink and a length of tubing over the swivel knot and concertina the braid inside by 'stretching' the tubing down and as it retracts if will take the braid with it for an extending hooklink.

my take on the bungie that CM mentioned is to thread a length of pole elastic down the middle of your braid hooklink using a long gated baiting needle, and just tie two overhand knots either end, not forgetting to pull the elastic to half stretch before tying the second one off. i call it the viper as when it strikes it dont let go :wink:

What THIS man said . Especially when you're learning . You'll probably end up keeping it simple forever :wink:

Simple dont always work, when the going gets tough, sometimes you need an edge, the bungy is just that, the ealistic pulls the hook in hard stopping ejection.

I've always wondered,with all these riggy fish,when was the last time they had to deal with the KK ?

Strangely enough, I have fished waters where either due to lakebed or fish, the knotless knot didn't work, I did have to go slightly more advanced.

Same on Brackens; when I started I knew it was a riggy water, so I needed something different with my spin (sic :wink: ) on it from what I reckoned the locals were using (knotless knot on coated braid) and semi-fixed leads with hardly any bait around the hook.

Extending or Bungee rigs are different, some fish learn how to deal with 'the norm', usually by association with capture or if every angler is fishing the same.

I have played with Triggerlink, and I don't like it. It is too thick for my liking, even if it is attached to Amnesia as part of a combi rig it didn't seem to sit right.

I too found triggerlink a waste of time .

Another gimmick .

I am very much in the keep it simple camp .

Location, Bait and bait application is far more important than some over complicated rig.

I am positive that many of these rigs are made by anglers by simply putting all the components they have in a bag giving it a good shake and seeing what comes out the other end!

Simple dont always work, when the going gets tough, sometimes you need an edge, the bungy is just that, the ealistic pulls the hook in hard stopping ejection.

It does for me as long as I get the most impotant things right. The biggest edge you can have is water craft if you hooks sharp the fish are willing to except what you put on the hair or the hook you pretty much there as long as you can find them. The most consistent anglers are the anglers that Consistantly get there location right it's what separates the best from the rest. A simple rig will always catch fish it's noing how to optimise simple rigs that makes the difference hair length, rig length hook pattern ect so even a simple rig needs thought and expeirence tells you when to ring these changes. Adding elastic and adding bells and whistles just means there more to go wrong keep it simple and keep watching the lake stay on the fish and you will catch them. If useing elastic works for you then fair play but could never see my self useing such a rig.

keep it simple and keep watching the lake stay on the fish and you will catch them. If useing elastic works for you then fair play but could never see my self useing such a rig.

Me neither chap regarding the elastic rig .

And completely agree with what your saying.

Just wrote something along these very lines on the upper 20 topic.

It does for me as long as I get the most impotant things right. The biggest edge you can have is water craft if you hooks sharp the fish are willing to except what you put on the hair or the hook you pretty much there as long as you can find them. The most consistent anglers are the anglers that Consistantly get there location right it's what separates the best from the rest. A simple rig will always catch fish it's noing how to optimise simple rigs that makes the difference hair length, rig length hook pattern ect so even a simple rig needs thought and expeirence tells you when to ring these changes. Adding elastic and adding bells and whistles just means there more to go wrong keep it simple and keep watching the lake stay on the fish and you will catch them. If useing elastic works for you then fair play but could never see my self useing such a rig.

Sorry, but I can guarantee that a basic knotless knot with standard hair does not always work, nor does a Chod. (Boy, I hate that name,)

I have watched fish manage to eject such a rig on a clear water at 5metres range. I had to switch to a line aligner, which takes it away from a basic rig, adding shrink tubing makes it more than basic.

In fact every Blowback rig is adding bells and whistles, that you may or may not need, with using either a rig ring or as Nashy's original concept, a piece of silicon tubing.

A rig ring running up and down the shank, stopped from going past the bend by a small hook bead, is adding additional items. Attaching the hair to the rig ring serves a couple of purposes, it means you can change hair length, by tying on a new hair, and it allows some extra bait movement, 'sliding' or 'extending'.

Some fish in some waters are able to eject standard rigs, as per my first paragraph, but Ken Townley, Rob Maylin and others have made the same comments in magazines or books.

In fact I think it was Ken Townley who noted that a very successful rig on Savay was easily ejected on one of his local waters, the fish were able to deal with it.

Frank Warwick also advocated extending rigs, as did Rob Maylin in one of his books, and I think Jim Gibbinson years ago in an article.

They have obviously found that at some point they needed to come up with something totally different.

I would say that those three anglers are very good at getting location right, but when they have to adapt and come up with something totally different...

I dislike having to faff with rigs, I would much prefer to use a standard knotless knotted rig, or knotless knotted and line aligned, but on Brackens my Combi rigs, or coated braid rigs with a stripped supple section and a free sliding rig ring, were totally different to other anglers, and I had to change dependant on swim or feature.

I could see that as I did recover a few other people's rigs from various trees and snags over time, and over a year because I was doing something different I had a more successful catch rate than most anglers fishing there. I'm pretty sure we were mostly fishing the same spots, as I know a number of us had pictures of the various features and bars when the lake was drained!

No rig will work alk the time that's obvious in fact any rig will get done over majority of the the I use the silicon style blow back rig for majority of my fishing rarely use chod. But for as long as your relying on the fish to prick it's self then give us some sort of indication they will have the upper hand. If I'm sight fishing and can watch the fish pick the bait up I'll strike as soon as the bait enters the fishes mouth and hook them 9 times out of ten. if I wait for the fish to react all to often they just blow the bait out it doesn't matter what rig you use. It's simple to find an edge these days by makeing things even simpler how many people do you see useing worm, free lineing bread float fishing obviously this isn't always practical but they can be massive edges in the right situation. As I said if the elastic rig works for you great keep useing it but I couldn't care less who advocates it a simple rig has always worked for me everywhere I've fished.

Yonny do you not think it would work on Say a combi rig/hinged stiff rig so that your using minimum triggalink and still getting the elastic effect. As on the video I found it from he was using the triggalink on a combi style rig and caught some big fish

You could use it for whatever you want fella, just make sure you've tested it and tested it again before you leave it out all night. I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...