Bayswater Essex

Well 2 runs so far....! One from a gull and one from a coot [emoji36] [emoji36] safe to say my zig is now lower in the water!

Only 3 swims free when I arrived, the spot I wanted was taken so all change here. I'm in the swim where my cousin caught a monster carp while float fishing. So I've a rod in the margin which I'm just going to leave. If orgies I think it'll be towards the end of the day. A zig currently at about 4ft on about 9 foot of water. Middle rod is straight out in front about 1/4 across the lake to where I saw a carp poke it's head out

Well 2 runs so far....! One from a gull and one from a coot [emoji36] [emoji36] safe to say my zig is now lower in the water!

Only 3 swims free when I arrived, the spot I wanted was taken so all change here. I'm in the swim where my cousin caught a monster carp while float fishing. So I've a rod in the margin which I'm just going to leave. If orgies I think it'll be towards the end of the day. A zig currently at about 4ft on about 9 foot of water. Middle rod is straight out in front about 1/4 across the lake to where I saw a carp poke it's head out .

Groundbait and roughly crushed boilies on the margin with a small pop-up.

Middle rod is single Chod but in a bit I'm going to 'have a lead' and put some boilies out.

Am trying to "properly" fish slack, running lead no back leads. Line has sunk pretty well, not happy about the bobbins slack and swinging in the wind. I get that a running lead should give me a run on a take but don't like having no drop back indication. So am going to have a fiddle and lengthen the drop on my hangers to they kind of stand up on the ground....

Will update later Ron [emoji12]

Who's Ron ? ? .

Lol

Dont know anything about this venue other than the vids i watched on you tube, a cracking young kid and his dad got some help from one of the Ateam anglers, Adam Penning if my memory serves me right, Tiger nuts cracked it bigtime over parti mix, maybe you are barking up the wrong tree with baits.

Gary Bayes owns the place so I can't see that . Having said that it is worth a try . Maybe.

I think if and when I get time I will attempt to fully document what I did today, including rig pics and explanations of what, where and why, I'd be genuinely interested in people picking apart my approach and see what others would do.

(Don't worry SPR I won't go all Def Con 5 and start a war [emoji41] )

One thing that stood out today was although I had birds on my bait on and off all day the only pick up from them off the bottom was on a rock hard, very old, Solar salmon and black pepper pop up, it is a dull red colour and has been soaked in oil for over a year.... maybe this is the way to go? Is this note worthy? If I WANTED to catch a bird at Bayeswater I know I wouldn't use a small yellow pop-up, could the carp be the same?

My suspicions were first aroused when he started talking about birds and pick ups :)

So the Chest Waders are not just to deter interest from Aliens , but to deliver you home to your Wife unmollested ? .

Who will feed the hungry Church Congregation ? .

I don't believe I'm saying this , but good luck catching Bream ! ! ! .

Crusian - hope Madrid treats you well

No carp for me, good day though, nice weather, a friend joined me to watch so all good, but am thinking I may go for some confidence sessions elsewhere to remember what it is like to catch!

CM - possibly, would probably make a good alternative as boilies are the majority bait and the carp are cute, but I think success very much depends on watercraft and being able to get a swim where the fish are. Out of 14 swims only 3 where free today, all taken with overnighters from Friday. Wind was blowing from my back and I wanted to be the other side of the lake, but had no choice but make do. All fish caught today were from the other side [emoji36] [emoji51] [emoji25]

I am a lucky boy though as my wife told my boy I can take him fishing tomorrow as he did well at school, woo hoo! Snotty bashing here I come [emoji39] [emoji41] [emoji39] [emoji41] [emoji39]

Hi Neal

It just occurred to me that your Wife might be interested in this

www.catedraldejusto.es

Smiley Face

Crusian - I'm not sure I get it?

Was hoping it was going to be a child friendly Spanish Cathedral with a massive carp lake!!!

Bream went well except one of them turned into this!

c525ed040eb75fcffb9a3156564c942c.jpg

Quite good fun on a 4 weight fly rod I nodded for him to use as a float rod [emoji39] [emoji39]

Hi Neal

I thought your Wife as a church goer might like to learn about this Cathedral which has taken forty - two years to build so far - all from reclaimed materials .

The man building it , mostly on his own , Justo Gallego is now 91 .

My wife says " Neals' fishing gear probably costs more than has been spent on the whole Cathedral , and it's vast ! . "

a657b7b4c8c21eca5d24f4757175b621.jpg

So as best as I can remember I'll try and document the what's and why's of my last trip.

The photo above shows the taken swims with a red cross and the free swims with a green tick. The yellow spot is where I fished and the pink squares with red cross are the swims that caught while I was there.

First thing to note was the swims that caught were the windward side of the lake!

faeb05536ca75231998d3e19ef2c12ae.jpg

These where my rigs, size 8 hooks, all fluro hookinks. Bait was 10mm Nash 4G squid pop-ups various colours, tried yellow, purple, orange.

Chose this because of seeing how many where caught on small 10mm pop-ups and had been advised to use yellow.

Tested the baits on the rigs at home and in the lake and they were balanced so they dropped down but not super quick, they would move easily if I wafted the water.

When testing in the lake I literally hold the main line and just drop them in the margin to try a mimic a cast rather than laying them how I think they should be. All sat very well on top of low lying silk weed stuff. The water is super clear. Where the main line was tight it showed up a lot but slack it blended in quite well. When looking at the rigs in the margins I couldn't see the mainline near the rig at all and also couldn't see the rigs.

My only worry was I had the Chod on some tubing which was rubbish, looped up of the bottom, very visible ! But I was silly as I did cast it out because it was the rod set up and I saw a fish head and shoulder just in front of me... as shown here d495fe1467f9cc9a6a9dc995d2934820.jpg

I had a small weight at the top end of the tubing. The tubing was about a meter long, with a bead about a foot up from the lead (small 1/4oz square) and the Chod had about 2 foot movement to the top of the tube and the weight. I cast this to where I saw the fish and gently pulled back in the hope of straightening the tubing.

The chod was my middle rod. I left it in place for about an hour, line was slack. Then changed it for a stiff hinge on its own and no tubing. After about another hour brought it in cast about in the spot with a lead I could feel what I think was the same silk weed as the margins but also spots where the lead stuck and would pull free, which I think.... may be clay. No massive amounts of weed on the lead when I brought it in. I re cast to were I thought it was clay and catapulted about maybe a kilo of boilies to the spot where the carp had showed. Having seen a guy catch loads by putting in a fair amount of bait and catching reasonably shortly afterwards I felt ok doing this. This rod I left alone for most of the day I recast at about 3pm and that was it. No other signs of fish in that area and no indication of fish. [emoji36]

So as best as I can remember I'll try and document the what's and why's of my last trip. 

The photo above shows the taken swims with a red cross and the free swims with a green tick. The yellow spot is where I fished and the pink squares with red cross are the swims that caught while I was there.

First thing to note was the swims that caught were the windward side of the lake! 

So from looking at your map the shallows are the north end of the lake ?

Looking at where people of caught from the fish have been using that point to negotiate there way into the shallow bay ?