Bayswater Essex

• 2 weeks later...

Advice please chaps, I think this may be a simple answer that I'm about to answer myself... but here goes...

On my next venture out do I just go back to the same swim, cast to the same spots where I had my aborted runs (but this time make sure my rigs are working!) I know weather and circumstances will probably be quite different, but it is the area I've most success in so far and unless I see decent signs of fish elsewhere does this make a sensible starting point?

Considering my original casts in this area were educated guesses, I did no leading or marker rod stuff for fear of spooking fish so I couldn't say with much certainty what I'm fishing on other than probably silkweed.

Hi Neal

What Spr has said .

Maybe some marker rod work if nothings happening , and / or conditions aren't favourable , or just do the marker work as an investment for future sessions ? .

I expect someone will come along with the definitive answer :wink:  . 

Have either of you two got any dates you are working towards ? .

I'm out on the 19th have managed to negotiate a day session every three weeks[emoji4] my wife drives a hard bargain, she is a regular church goer and I am a definite nonbeliever. I have agreed to cook breakfast at the church every Sunday after fishing!!! Argh! The cost of carp fishing [emoji17] [emoji17] (actually not that bad, my wife is happy and I get bacon rolls and as much coffee and cake that I can eat, and of course I'll have to miss the service to clean the kitchen [emoji6] )

Spr / Crusian if our fishing days ever coincide I'd happily share a swim if Bayes is busy!

Spr - I saw that post, when people get it right they get it very right!! A catch like that chap is beyond my dreams!

I shall remind you of that ^ [emoji90]^ when you are loading this thread up with the pictures of your beasts [emoji12] you seem a determined guy and I have no doubt that the pictures will be sooner rather than later keep at it and you shall reap the rewards [emoji16]

And that's a very nice offer to make.....I may try and sneak out for a walk round to coincide with your visit on the 19th and say hi/see how you are getting on...... If you do t mind

ad63d6bff961a27f7c4a8377532c69ad.jpg am currently making version 2 of my home made fixed back leads, ready for my next outing.

Thinking same spots with either back leads as before or maybe a polaris ledger float, to keep line up out of any weed and I don't think the carp would be familiar with vertical line so may work, annnnnd I can use a relatively light lead and get the depths without causing to much disturbance [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Edited by nealjt

Hi Neal and Spr

I use  Polaris Floats more than I ledger for exactly the reasons you describe Neal .

One problem I get is that when the float goes under it all happens fairly quickly with little , if any prior warning .

I know it sounds nuts , but I use a Bite Alarm to give me an audible warning just in case I am not gazing intently at my float ! .

It's a shame the 19th is a Saturday , I have to work Saturdays , but hopefully you and Spr will meet up .

So how did an agnostic and a church goer get together , and don't the congregation object to a smelly , unshaven fisherman loitering in their kitchen ? .

:wink:  

Considering my original casts in this area were educated guesses, I did no leading or marker rod stuff for fear of spooking fish so I couldn't say with much certainty what I'm fishing on other than probably silkweed.

There's a lesson to be learned right there bud - If you've had what you believe to be inquiries on a given spot and you're not 100% sure what the bottom's like, always find out at the end of the session. All it takes is a couple of casts with a bare lead - and you're one up in preparation for your next sesh!

I'd say I do more marking at the end of sessions than I do at the start. I agree that on 'proper' waters marking up can spook the carp - therefore if I can get a drop and I know I'm on fish it's good enough for me - but I never walk away without having a quick chuck to determine the substrate.

Edited by yonny

Defo stay the night if you can, is imagine Sunday afternoon / evening or weekdays would be the best times to go anyway, as the place very much has weekend syndrome. As I say don't set your heart on a swim. I imagine the slightly warmer weather will pack out the place! Well ill be there from 6am so will let you know how it's looking :) there definitely seems to be a trend for a mid to late afternoon feeding spell so an afternoon wouldnt be a bad thing

I've got myself a bucket of stinky bag mix; milky min pellets, green lipped muscle, belachan, Liquid robin red and blue cheese powder oh and ridiculously expensive "specialized hookbaits" (got to say they smell and taste incredible and great customer service so I'm happy so far) if I don't catch the next step will be electro fishing and dynamite!!!!

I've got myself a bucket of stinky bag mix; milky min pellets, green lipped muscle, belachan, Liquid robin red and blue cheese powder oh and ridiculously expensive "specialized hookbaits" (got to say they smell and taste incredible and great customer service so I'm happy so far) if I don't catch the next step will be electro fishing and dynamite!!!!

Do you have to mesh the specialized hook baits, I've heard they break down very quick.