Krank Chod Hook or Chod Hook

crusian

Thanks fellas 

A Line Aligner ? - hmm , something else for me to think about , thanks Nick .

What is your opinion on Micro Barbs please NM ? .

Thanks for the recommendation Neal ; I'm guessing  it was easier to put a blanket ban on using any Curve Shanks at Graviers rather than single out specific manufacturers patterns .   

Again not massively different to today's kicker and same theory tubing to extend the shank with angle at the top, the key difference with what i class as a real line alinger was instead of the hooklink material exiting straight out of the tubing you pierced a hole near the top where the hooklink material would exit.

Thanks fellas

What is your opinion on Micro Barbs please NM ? .

Thanks for the recommendation Neal ; I'm guessing it was easier to put a blanket ban on using any Curve Shanks at Graviers rather than single out specific manufacturers patterns .

I'm not certain but I think most of the hooks in my bag , in fact on the market , are Micro barbed mate .

Whether Barbed or Microbarbed I use side cutters to snap the hook prior to hook removal ( as recommended by several members here ) ....that way the pointy end comes out the way in went in :)

Just to be on the safe side :wink:

In fact I was discussing that very subject with the bailiff on my water only the other day and it is generally agreed that it's a good safe common practice .

Edited by newmarket

Again not massively different to today's kicker and same theory tubing to extend the shank with angle at the top, the key difference with what i class as a real line alinger was instead of the hooklink material exiting straight out of the tubing you pierced a hole near the top where the hooklink material would exit.

Am I right in thinking that a rubber grub does the trick here ?

Am I right in thinking that a rubber grub does the trick here ?

I have seen it done with a rubber grub  :)

Like that?

Line Aligner using fake maggot to disguise the hook

MagLinealignerwithhair.jpg

To camouflage the hook in this pic I have used a fake maggot and created a line aligner with that. Again, the hook was tied on with a knotless knot and then the fake maggot threaded on with a needle

Like that?

Line Aligner using fake maggot to disguise the hook

MagLinealignerwithhair.jpg

To camouflage the hook in this pic I have used a fake maggot and created a line aligner with that. Again, the hook was tied on with a knotless knot and then the fake maggot threaded on with a needle

:):wink:

Going back to the original title of the thread 

I know people on here have had good experiences with the Krank hooks but for me the curve is to aggressive and they can cause mouth damage from the movement they create in the mouth (Struggling to find good evidence of this though).

So for me the 2 hooks are completely different.

I used kranks back in june, all my hook holds were the same, twisted flaps of skin. at first my takes were tench so i put it down to hook size (6)but after the same on a 33 and 27 i haven't used them since. they were the strangest holds iv ever had, never landed a fish which i believe i shouldn't of landed due to not being a substantial hold but all of them were , its like the hook lay flat as it took hold and then twisted ....it was almost like nipple.

I used kranks back in june, all my hook holds were the same, twisted flaps of skin. at first my takes were tench so i put it down to hook size (6)but after the same on a 33 and 27 i haven't used them since. they were the strangest holds iv ever had, never landed a fish which i believe i shouldn't of landed due to not being a substantial hold but all of them were , its like the hook lay flat as it took hold and then twisted ....it was almost like nipple.

That sounds like the hook is moving around whilst you are playing the fish (this is a guess of course).

My preferred go to pattern is Fox SSBP, but I find they work best with a kicker. I wanted to try a simplify things and all the talk of the krank seemed worth a go, also I used to really like Carp R us off set nailers, I just cant cant them at my local these days. so I got pack of kranks.

I wouldn't be put off using kranks if they've been working for you, I think my problems were probably due to needing a few tweaks with the hair but as I didn't want to waste time tweaking or risk losing one next I went back to what Im confident in.

I agree hutch, the twisting was most likely during the fight though I don't think the point ever buried down more like due to the offset point it went through like a safety pin, then as it flipped over side to side during the scrap pierced again etc to create the nipple effect.

• 1 month later...

Just to add to this kranks are now off my list! Having realised how bendy they are. Not settled on a pattern yet but probably something like the kamasans, especially as they are cheaper, than most equivalent, as still sold as fly hooks. I know everything comes down to the hooks and scrimping on the isn't a good idea, but I can't help feel ripped off when I buy a carp hook @ 10 for £4 - £5 when in the fly section I can by the same patterns for half the price!

Now as some of you know i have a rig tying business and over the last few years i've tied 1000s of chod rigs. The best hooks by far for me personally and for my business have been korda choddys and nash chod twister i never get them back or any compaints. I am going to have a play this year with the Nash gapers as i like the wide gape on them and they look a nice tough hook.

If you are catching tench and catching carp with what you deem strange hook holds , this could be a good thing. It seems to me by the snippets of info , that you are instantly hooking the fish as soon as the hook enters the mouth. I don't know you're full set up rig wise., but one thing for sure is you are hooking them.

A rig I use , I use it purposefully for this very reason . I accidentally catch some very hard to catch, very sort after tench. As well as catching carp. Some hook hold s are in the top of the mouth . This is tench and carp. I use short stiff rigs with a small soft braid hinge, in conjunction with a size 6 mugga.

Anglers have varied opinions on hook shapes , barbed and barbless. At the end of the day , our intentions as anglers are to impale these metal components in to our chosen quarry. Bent hooks were to serve a purpose, I used them myself at the time to good effect . Size 6 drennan lure hooks were my choice at the time. Hook holds were savage.

Jim gibbinsons line aligner article was to explain the extra effectiveness that piercing rig tube had when the carp had the hook in its mouth . Thus making the rig more efficient.in making the hook turn into the bottom lip.Some 25 years later has stood the test of time.

Sounds to me like there's an issue with consistency with these Kranks. One fella says they're flexible which is actually a good thing - they're heat treated high carbon steel (same stuff knife blades are made out of) so they have a high spring rate which allows them to flex slightly so they can absorb stress and maintain there original shape. Another fella says they bend which means his batch was too soft (i.e. spring rate was too low and the material yielded). Another fella said they snap meaning his batch was too hard  hence they were brittle.

You hear folks giving it "you'll always have a bad batch from time to time". I can tell you now that's absolute rubbish. If the manufacturer has control of their process you shouldn't get any issues like that. Therefore if I see a single hook fail I'll avoid that manufacturer altogether - no second chances.

Depends where these hooks are manufactured Yonny, i suspect they are Chinese in origin, there control measures are not the same as the west, no iso 9002, if it looks like a hook , good enough, i am afraid bad batches are a possibility, just avoid the hook if you want consistency.

The vast majority of hooks come from China but it's a myth that all Chinese manufacturers are bad fella. Some are very. very good indeed. The problems start when the tackle brands try to cut costs by using the cheaper manufacturers (which are the guys you're referring to).

It winds me up - it's fair enough that the tackle brands want to increase their margin, that's standard business practise, but if they choose to go down that route than they should have a robust inspection of product when it gets to Europe. It's clear that in many cases they don't do any testing whatsoever - they just take it for granted that the hooks are sound and then come out with their "you'll always get a bad batch" rollocks when they fail in the field. In those cases you have to blame the tackle firm as much as the manufacturer, or more so in my mind.

so , is there a must buy hook this year , I'm looking at Gamakatsu G super snag , or the RX , or if the fox SSBP is still what it was then that could tempt me ! I do like the straight points !

yep , its below the belt , why produce a large carp hook , size 2 or 4 or even an 8 when its week , I changed to a certain brand 2 years ago and the first fish on snapped my hook , :evil: , ive bent a few in the last few years but never snapped one , I don't think ever before , someone said it was a bad batch , they were just way too thin , I should of clocked it but I listened to a recommendation , I think they would of been fine for the fishery that the recommendation came from , but not for an angry river carp !