Reason/s for fish not biting at the moment

serbusfish

My dad fished a small match type water on Saturday which is filled with small 3lb - 8lb carp. Normally he catches between 15 - 20 in a 6 hour session, along with missing or losing another 5 - 10, but he only managed get 8 bites/fish on Saturday.

There are tench in the water but usually you dont catch them because the carp get to your bait first, but guess what, he caught one on saturday.

Another example, there is another place that I suppose classes as a commerical which is full of carp between 4lb - 10lb+. I have personally had 25 out whilst my dad had 33 in a session, but my dads friend went the other day and only had 2 fish.

Basically I was wondering if anyone knew why the fish might have stopped biting at the moment? As far as I can tell the weather hasnt changed much over the last few weeks to have such a dramatic affect on bite rate.

Separate to your question, you're Derby way aren't you? Guessing from the lakes you've mentioned previous.

Have you fished allestree park lake? I've just seen it somewhere else. Looks like it holds some nice Carp. By the looks of them, I'm guessing clearish water which helps finding them. [emoji6]

Edited by androoooo

The temperature has dropped quite a bit and the wind has picked up too, certainly in SW London. September is usually a good fishing month, but I wonder if the very hot summer has meant the dip is quite noticable for fish. It sounds like everyone is experiencing late october fishing, when bites can be hard to come by. I haven't checked the air pressure recently, but that may hold an explanantion!

The temperature has dropped quite a bit and the wind has picked up too, certainly in SW London. September is usually a good fishing month, but I wonder if the very hot summer has meant the dip is quite noticable for fish. It sounds like everyone is experiencing late october fishing, when bites can be hard to come by. I haven't checked the air pressure recently, but that may hold an explanantion!

Would air pressure have more of an affect on lakes that hold more depth than the shallower lakes?

Air pressure is/has been 1016-1020 here for a while which is still quite high but i think the cold north westerly we have had on & off is more likely the problem here .

Weather forecast predicts a new south westerly in the morning which is more promising .

And warmer too :wink:

Edited by newmarket

Air pressure is/has been 1016-1020 here for a while which is still quite high but i think the cold north westerly we have had on & off is more likely the problem here .

Weather forecast predicts a new south westerly in the morning which is more promising .

And warmer too :wink:

Tim I am not far from you and can't remember there being any sort of wind over the last couple of weeks, as far as air pressure goes I am under the impression that high pressure would affect the carps swim bladder and force them to go higher up in the water, but surely if the lake was a only a couple of feet deep it would not have that much of an impact.

Tim I am not far from you and can't remember there being any sort of wind over the last couple of weeks, as far as air pressure goes I am under the impression that high pressure would affect the carps swim bladder and force them to go higher up in the water, but surely if the lake was a only a couple of feet deep it would not have that much of an impact.

No wind mate ?

Its been like Chicago this side of the river mate for about a week now .

Blowing straight into my bivvy since yesterday too .... Bludy freezin' it was .

Having said that its died down now .

Dunno about the shallow water muft , theres not really anywhere fir em to go is there ?

Maybe it puts em off the feed ?

No wind mate ?

Its been like Chicago this side of the river mate for about a week now .

Blowing straight into my bivvy since yesterday too .... Bludy freezin' it was .

Having said that its died down now .

Dunno about the shallow water muft , theres not really anywhere fir em to go is there ?

Maybe it puts em off the feed ?

My office is in Essex mate and I can't recall any sort of wind there either over the last couple of weeks,so we either are living in a parallel universe or I've been drinking too much.

My office is in Essex mate and I can't recall any sort of wind there either over the last couple of weeks,so we either are living in a parallel universe or I've been drinking too much.

Maybe its caused by that big black cloud that follows me about :)

Must be the parallel universe thing . I cant understand it its been really uncomfortable here ?

I must admit that down here in Sussex the carp have been hard to come by. I have been to three different lakes in the past 2 weeks for a total of just over 100 hours and have caught 5 carp, On one of those waters the fishing is so easy it sometimes gets boring, on Saturday I blanked there.

There certainly seems to be something strange happening at the moment. Glad it's not just me!!

I must admit that down here in Sussex the carp have been hard to come by. I have been to three different lakes in the past 2 weeks for a total of just over 100 hours and have caught 5 carp, On one of those waters the fishing is so easy it sometimes gets boring, on Saturday I blanked there.

There certainly seems to be something strange happening at the moment. Glad it's not just me!!

Maybe its just where i fish but if i catch 5 Carp in 100 hours i'm well happy :) :) :)

Well how about this .

One of the lakes on the complex where i fish has had a fish kill .

At least 16 20lb+ fish have gone belly up .

Its very heavily weeded , has now had a load of lime slung in and there are at least 2 windmill type aerators installed ?

Now this is why I love this forum! I've had exactly the same questions swirling around. I'm in suffolk and my regular lake was going crazy literally everyone catching then it went dead... I take it personally as it was when I managed to go that the owner told me nothing out for a couple of days!!

I've noticed loads on insects suddenly appearing, especially daddy's.. I know it's the right time for them but wondered if Ol Mr carpy has been feeding up on larve and bugs and more difficult to catch?

I was just about to ask the question - " where are the Carp , still in shallowish water , or have they started to slide off to the deeper water , because I can't seem to find them , or if they are where I have cast they are not blinking biting  ?  " ,  when I saw this thread .

I can't remember who suggested it ( Newmarket ? ) , but 2 out of 3 of my last sessions were with a Northerly breeze , so when what wind there was swung around to the South I thought " this is it " - it wasn't   :confused: .

Usually after a hot , windless August , September brings big South Westerlys that oxgenate the water and shake things up , but apart from Newmarket in " Chicago " ( that'll teach him to live in Essex ! )   I don't remember any big winds .

I guess that although it's unseasonably hot , the fish know it's Autumn because of the reduced daylight hours , and so are starting to slow down / stopped dead ! .

It's very helpful to learn that I am not alone in my struggles to get a bite , at least it has stopped me fiddling unecessarily with my rig and / or change my bait .  

:wink:

I was just about to ask the question - " where are the Carp , still in shallowish water , or have they started to slide off to the deeper water , because I can't seem to find them , or if they are where I have cast they are not blinking biting ? " , when I saw this thread .

I can't remember who suggested it ( Newmarket ? ) , but 2 out of 3 of my last sessions were with a Northerly breeze , so when what wind there was swung around to the South I thought " this is it " - it wasn't :confused: .

Usually after a hot , windless August , September brings big South Westerlys that oxgenate the water and shake things up , but apart from Newmarket in " Chicago " ( that'll teach him to live in Essex ! ) I don't remember any big winds .

I guess that although it's unseasonably hot , the fish know it's Autumn because of the reduced daylight hours , and so are starting to slow down / stopped dead ! .

It's very helpful to learn that I am not alone in my struggles to get a bite , at least it has stopped me fiddling unecessarily with my rig and / or change my bait .

:wink:

Im always on the lookout for a NEW south westerley when im fishing mate and it neednt be a strong one either :wink: they are SO much warmer than even a southerly .

Autumn is usually munch time matey , they are like squirrels storing it away for the long cold winter so if they normally like plenty of bait then give it to em :)

Edited by newmarket

• 5 years later...