hook sharpness

slimysime

Korda I found shocking some out of the pack where not even sharp. I went back to using the ESP D7's and the Big T's from ESP and will stick with ESP in my opinion they the best hooks out there. I also have some Nash Fang hooks and they have a good point to them.

another esp fan here. i used nash fang for a while but found they went a bit down hill?

Yes they not what there where as you have said ESP have been there long before the others and I would not use anything else now have tried other makes but always gone back to them so will now just stick with them they don't let me down the point is spot on digs in my nail nicely and nails the fish what more could you ask for from a hook

Here is a scary one for you, I use Gardner Muggas for most of my fishing (and catch a fair number of fish on them), and with a size 4 Mugga hook in my thumb and a 3oz lead I was able to lift it completely off the desk and reach out to grab my camera to take pictures.

Size6GardnerMuggaattachedto3ozlead.jpg

Sorry this 2nd picture should actually be rotated 90degrees clockwise, but even in this, you can still see the whole lead is off the desk.

DSCF0001-1.jpg

I thought Muggas were some of the sharpest hooks around!

I went out and purchased some Korda Kurvs, and Gamakatsu G-points to do the same thing. The Korda hooks did not even leave a hookpoint mark on my thumb, whereas the G-Points did.

Not particularly scientific, but I found that the only way to increase hook penetration was to increase the weight on a semi-fixed lead and speed of applied tension, so the faster line tightened on the using up of slack when using running leads the further in the hookpoint went. Also during a fight, (with the right patterns, NOT out-turned eyes) the hook works in further.

So fishing slack lines with semi-fixed set-ups may not pull the hook into the fishes lip, and the lead may be moved a long way with no indication.

As a slack line is taken up on a running lead, the tension increases to the rod tip/reel and so the hook is pulled in to gain some penetration.

Have found that ESP and Gardner generally supply the most usable hooks in a packet, usually only have to bin 2 or 3. kordas generally only give about 4 usable hooks per pack!

Haven't used fox armos or Nash hooks, but reports are good.

Sharpening your own is the way to go, but be prepared to ruin a few packs before you get the hang of it - Ironically it's quite easy to blunt them with the sharpener.

I now sharpen every hook i use with the jag file and stones, the difference is amazing NO HOOK IS SHARP out of the packet you may think they are but they aint :lol:

You rate them then Jez?

I wasn't sure wether they were just another gimmick. Do you think youve picked extra fish up with them?

I now sharpen every hook i use with the jag file and stones, the difference is amazing NO HOOK IS SHARP out of the packet you may think they are but they aint :lol:

You rate them then Jez?

I wasn't sure wether they were just another gimmick. Do you think youve picked extra fish up with them?

I know that question wasn't for me, and being a relative newbie to the forum my answer won't be as valuable as someone who you know and trust well, but I've found it to be very good. You can get a hook to the point where you don't even feel it enter your skin until its gone a way in (and in my experience started bleeding!) The closest I can explain is that it's like piercing your finger on the high E string of a guitar on the tuning peg!

I'm not sure how different the jag ones are to any standard jewellers sharpening stone (which is cheaper) but they look pretty similar.

You rate them then Jez?

I'm certain i have what i will say is once in they dont come out as easily so less hook pulls. You do end up scraping a few until you get used to the method of sharpening them but once mastered you will never use another hook out of the packet.