hook sharpness

slimysime

Good feedback -thanks lads.

Just looked on t'internet ...is the vice and eye glass any use...or is the value just in the files?

personally i think both are indespensible

I use a fox sharpener. It has a groove in it which makes it easier to hone the hook at the right angle. I could do with the vice though to make things easier.

I must admit that the only hooks I have sharpened have been those on Pike Trebles since the days of Chemical Sharpening came to be standard.

I have a couple of worries in sharpening the point of a hook; First one is removing the protective outer layer, be that Teflon, or even the outer layer of metal which may provide the hardness of the hook.

Then I worry rather than making it any sharper I'm going to blunt it down. I'm pretty good with a file, steel, sharpeners, oilstone etc, my knives are "slice first notice later" sharp, but a very fine pointed hook is a whole lot harder.

Add to that, by making the point thinner I am opening it up for more damage on the lakebed, or if I pick up a twig or other rubbish on the retrieve.

I don't lose many fish down to hookpulls, and I'm happy with 99% of hooks I get out the packet, but that is down to choosing and using good quality hooks from decent manufacturers or brands. They are sharp enough for my fishing, whereas even if some good manufacturer produces Korda hooks, they are NOT the same as the hooks from the factory owners.

Incidentally Kamasan and Drennan/ESP, I think all come from the same factory, being as Drennan own it, and those are fairly good brands. :wink:

slimysime Posted: 15th Apr 2012 20:11 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that looks very painful nick

And don't forget I'm thick skinned :wink::lol:8)

The Fox arma points that I use are very good out of the pack but after a fish or if the rigs been cast out a few times I always have more confidence touching them up!

Once that has been done though, I have noticed a bit of rust forming on the hook point. Obvously due to the coating being removed. So the hooks don't last that much longer by honing the point, just stay shaper for the time they are out there.

The way i look at is like this, i want the sharpest hook possible and the only way to get this is to sharpen them myself. Yes they dont last quite as long and the extra fine points i get might turn over a bit easier but so what a hook cost's pennies and the sort of waters i fish you want that hook to go in everytime you get a bite. Sharp hooks hook fish not 3 or 4 oz leads and a proper sharp hook is one of if not the biggest edge you can have.

Wheeeeey! Good lads! I haven't done it in a while, tend to tie new rigs since I lost the tools. Will definately be getting myself some more after reading this :D

Thought for a minute you had gone off topic and started to talk about your sex life lewis :lol::lol:

I often sharpen my hooks now, A while back at moorlands france i watched lewis (IAMBUNN) sharpen his hooks and was suprised how much sharper you can make them if done correctly :wink:

That's two of us that iambum has converted now then!

Yes mate i try and learn off everyone i fish with.

Iv sharpend my hooks for two seasons now after each cast but only once or twice with the same hook

so would you put a new hook on after landing a fish or just re sharpen it?

and does it not weaken the hook?

I'd generally change hook after each fish anyway. I've never had a hook I've sharpened straighten on me. You're literally just brushing it a couple of times with the stone, not aggressively planing it off, so this shouldn't ever happen :)

so would you put a new hook on after landing a fish or just re sharpen it?

and does it not weaken the hook?

I check the hook on every cast. Sometimes, fresh from the pack, I don't feel the need to sharpen. If it needs touching up then I will, regardless of if I have had a fish or not. If it is beyond honeing then a new rig is tied. As said befor, I always have more confidence if I run the point on the stone/file. It's saving me a bit in money as well. Before, I would just tie a new rig; now I get a bit more life out of the point, even taking into account the reduced time it takes to rust. But like I said; it's sharper for the time it's out!