Belachan

iambunn

Looking to experiment with a few baits this year, Belachan being one of them. Had a good chat with one of the guys in leslies the other day and he recommended grating it with a real fine cheese grater, then adding it to a stick mix.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how much to put into your stick mixes?

Also, how have you done whilst using it? And in what other ways have you played around with it?

Bunn :mrgreen:

have only ever used it in boilie mixes,if it has not been used on your water then you'd better get some spare batterys for your alarms,i was fortunate enough to be one of the first to use it on my old water and my god the runs just kept coming.have only ever used it at 1oz per lb of base mix,though i have seen it recommended at 2oz per lb.i once put a piece into my pond which holds around 7 carp and they wouldn't go near the stuff,so i would say you can over do it.though when i put my bait containing it in they can't get enough of it.another point i would recommend is to always use belechan in its block form,a friend of mine used the paste version once and his catch rates plummeted,once back on the solid block his catch rates went back up.the way i get it into my boilie mixes is to put it in a blender along with my eggs,it blitz's it lovely

CC Moores do it in a few difference versions...block, stick mix, powder, pellets and liquid.

I think I'd prefer to go for the block as I know there is nothing else in it. I'm gunnu experiment with different amounts, although it may be a bit of a challenge finding the right amount on my syndicate as runs are very hard come by! So I'll probably have to give it a go on my local club water.

A couple of grams to a small stick sounds about right? :shock:

A 5cm square block in a kilo of groundbait turns the carp on big time on one of my locals.

It even got to the stage that we actually ground up Belachan and put it neat into PVA bags with the hookbait.

The carp really loved it, couldn't get enough of it. You should have seen them tearing into a block that I dropped into the margins. :shock:

Don't think you can overdo it all mate due to it being natural. It's full of salt aswell, so I wouldn't bother adding salt in your mix if you do this currently.

Was on the phone to keith moors last night and his thoughts were the same. He's played around with it in the past and found that he couldn't really overdo it, and now uses it in his boilies.

I'll start off small and put a little more in as time goes by and see how the reactions change 8)

tatty

Posted: 8th Feb 2010 13:42 Post subject: belachan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all can any one reccomend a commercial base mix to use with belachan block

thanks

mark

• 9 years later...
21 hours ago, pukkacarp said:

hi lads just bought a block of belachan would you say the finer the grater the better? anyone tried it in a korda crusher or one of those grinders the stoners use?

Add some marmite and premier baits fish goo to the belechan and you've got a flier mate. Put the marmite in the microwave for 20-30 seconds so it goes from a goo to a liquid, makes measuring it out easier. Also measure out your oil first (assuming you're using some, will help you rolling as the belechan can make the mix very sticky) then once oil is measured put the marmite and goo into the same measuring pot as it slides out easier with the pot having the oil in it first. Add this to the eggs and belechan in the blender and blitz. 

Yes its messy, yes it stinks but the fish love it. Been using that recipe for years now, me and my mates have rinced lakes with it. You'll also find a very similar recipe in Mike Wilmots first book. He rates it massively.