What are the best hooks ?

insanity

gardner mugga always hold solid for me on pop ups, however im suprised nobody has mentioned nash fang twister, sharpest hooks ive seen. The whole korda range are rubbish and very prone to hookpulls which ive witnessed, just my oppinion though

i'm sorry but that is an unnfair comment to make. The korda wide gape is the most used carp hook on the market,and i haven't yet (touch wood) dropped a fish on a sharp wide gape.

i no you are entitled to your opinion but i thought saying they're rubbish is a bit unfair.

its only a hook mate, due to the hooks not being individually packed they tend to rub together over time losing sharpness, as i said thats my oppinion, didn't mean to upset you in any way

I see mr Heaton27 is very passionate about his hooks, and too right he should be as thats the only real part of tackle that counts for every fish been caught. since switching over from (blunt) korda hooks to (ultra sharpe) nash fang twisters myself ive never had a bad hook hold. By far the best and only hook I will be using from now on!!! :D

gardner mugga always hold solid for me on pop ups, however im suprised nobody has mentioned nash fang twister, sharpest hooks ive seen. The whole korda range are rubbish and very prone to hookpulls which ive witnessed, just my oppinion though

i'm sorry but that is an unnfair comment to make. The korda wide gape is the most used carp hook on the market,and i haven't yet (touch wood) dropped a fish on a sharp wide gape.

i no you are entitled to your opinion but i thought saying they're rubbish is a bit unfair.

The most used hook on the market, and many anglers blame other things than a bad hook anyway.

I honestly think that Korda hooks are not as good as made out to be. I have used them after persuasion from a friend, and I did lose or even not get fish on them. I'm certain that I had pick-ups with the hooks, but they did not convert into strikable runs. Carp-R-Us Centurions, Kamasan B175's did produce runs from the exact same spot.

There are so many people who have been "converted" into Korda Tackle that they won't accept that there is anything wrong with the products, yet in many cases there is, and many anglers won't use them because of that.

Go to the "Korda" threads, and for each angler who rates them, there are many who won't.

Now when it comes to hook patterns I use those I know work, and after the "missing" fish I will test every pattern to check its performance before I use it in a fishing situation.

I have ended up with patterns I'm confident with, B175's, my last few Centurions and Nailers, and Gardner Mugga's.

never had a korda hook let me down in my opninon the kurvs and wide gapes are best on the market.

By the way, as somebody other than me has pointed out, the Kurvs are almost the same hook as the Centurions, Muggas and an Ashima pattern :wink:

Yet the Kurvs do NOT hold their point as long as those other patterns. :?

• 3 months later...
Never had a fox arma hook let me down, had plenty of korda ones do it though

Hmm since starting back last month i have probably caught 30 fish upto 17lb and only had one that pulled at the net and one that i lost just as i struck but think that was me being laxy putting too long a hair on my rig.

I will be trying these fox arma hooks though as i have heard alot of people use them.

Try a few rigs with the korda wide gape see how you get on

Korda wide gape here, great hooks!

• 2 months later...
Hate to tell people this.

There are only a couple of hook manufacturers in the world

Owner and Mustard

:wink:

Bit like bivies and line

sounds about right mate

Spot on!! there are only around 6 hook manufactors, mostly in japan (know for their decent steel) just a different packet and some are coated some not, some have a slighty diffent bend or in/out turned eye.

Go for a hook of around 0.90mm thickness gauge, a lot are around 0.80mm-0.85mm. a wide gape hook will open quicker than a standard gape due to the pressure on the tip being futher from the shank. also a long shank will open quicker than a short shank as the pressure on the eye will be greater!

Owner's steel is awesome, they also make the best pike hooks and the best fishing scissors money can buy :wink::wink:

• 1 year later...

I have ended up with patterns I'm confident with, B175's, my last few Centurions and Nailers, and Gardner Mugga's.

I'm sticking with the Gardner Muggas now. Them and the B175's are now the only hooks I have left in the tackle box. I don't see a need to change, I know they work, go in and stay in, in clear and snaggy waters.

I can honestly say that since I have been using Muggas I have not dropped a fish (kiss of death that :? ), and I'm fishing for big fish

[ I have not dropped a fish (kiss of death that :? ), and I'm fishing for big fish

Nick- what've you done???

You know that's going to cost you a few hook pulls :lol::lol::lol:

Didn't say that I had dropped a fish on one of my old patterns though due to me pulling too hard though did I :wink::lol:

And not forgetting a snapped combi- hooklink down to me being careless and lazy :roll::oops:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 15/04/2010 at 17:40, salokcinnodrog said:

By the way, as somebody other than me has pointed out, the Kurvs are almost the same hook as the Centurions, Muggas and an Ashima pattern :wink:

Yet the Kurvs do NOT hold their point as long as those other patterns. :?

I use Korda Kurvs, Have absolutely no problem with them, I dont tend to lose many fish, never had one snap and they i think they hold the point pretty well. I do use a hook for a good number of fish as well. I have also started using the Ridge Monkey Beak points and Kurvs and have also found them very good but no noticable difference from the korda hooks in terms of performance.

1 thing i would say, I tried the Korda Kamuma or whatever they are called hooks, Caught a fish, Hook was completely blunt and bent after...Stopped using them. As i say im happy to use 1 hook multiple times. And on a low stock venue the Kamuma right be the right choice, But on the lake im currently fishing, which is pretty high stocked i will stick the the "normal" hooks. Im fishing solid bags on an inline set up....You can usually tell fairly well when you have been done.

Whilst a lot of people wont agree.  I have used 6 rigs in rotation (because they are solid bags). over the last 2 nights and have banked 20 fish not including bream, The hooks still seem fine, Sharp enough to piece me. I will change them soon...

4 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

I use Korda Kurvs, Have absolutely no problem with them, I dont tend to lose many fish, never had one snap and they i think they hold the point pretty well. I do use a hook for a good number of fish as well. I have also started using the Ridge Monkey Beak points and Kurvs and have also found them very good but no noticable difference from the korda hooks in terms of performance.

1 thing i would say, I tried the Korda Kamuma or whatever they are called hooks, Caught a fish, Hook was completely blunt and bent after...Stopped using them. As i say im happy to use 1 hook multiple times. And on a low stock venue the Kamuma right be the right choice, But on the lake im currently fishing, which is pretty high stocked i will stick the the "normal" hooks. Im fishing solid bags on an inline set up....You can usually tell fairly well when you have been done.

Whilst a lot of people wont agree.  I have used 6 rigs in rotation (because they are solid bags). over the last 2 nights and have banked 20 fish not including bream, The hooks still seem fine, Sharp enough to piece me. I will change them soon...

I hate to say it, but when I was playing with Korda hooks, these were the only hooks I could do as in the pictures, and that is a 3oz lead hanging.

ESP, Gardner Mugga's, Kamasan B175's, Gamakatsu GP204, I could not hold the hook on my finger or thumb, yet Korda I could, so I would say they are not nearly as sharp as other makes. 

An ESP hook, think it was a G4, can't remember, I landed a 26 from Merrington, then until I snagged or put it over a branch, another 9 or so fish.

At Brackens I pinched a rig from Big Dave, tied with a Korda hook, with fish showing yet got no indication, despite him seeing a fish pick my bait up. I retied a rig and I changed back to my favoured Gardner Mugga, within minutes I was playing a fish.

I still use B175's, Gardner Mugga's and also Solar 101's. I am happy to use any of them out of the pack, and I do keep an eye on the hookpoint, or actually a finger or thumb every cast as well as looking carefully at them.

I think Nige Woodcock was very happy with the latest ESP Cryogen hooks until he switched to Nash.

Incidentally it was Kevin Nash who recommended his own companies hooks could be sharper and sharpened.

Why? They should be sharp enough for anglers to use straight away.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You could hang a 10 0z lead on my builders hands lol 

Big fan of the cryogen hooks that Nick mentions & what I currently use. I avoid Korda hooks seen enough mates loose fish with snapped hooks ! A few times it's been at socials & we all look at each other & say " korda strikes again "  happend To Mick at churn one year .