The test of time

As the title might suggest, I'd be interested to hear what fishing tackle you've brought, that has lasted and been good value for money.

Hopefully , helping out others to invest in decent gear (some mark 2, 3, 4 versions can be lower quality,  although not always the case).

Looking around me, I have 3 items over 10 years old and still going strong.

JRC 2 Man bivvy (takes a pounding on the res, but almost as good as new)

Shimano XTR1000RA Baitrunners.

Ruben Heaton scales (hardly used🫤)

Most of my other kit has needed to be replaced, due to failing the test of time.

Thanks in advance guys

17267689799031362515126908513388.jpg

Solar Banksticks!

I bought them back in the 1990's and still use them as banksticks, or to make the P1 pod higher. That is also around 10years old.

Shimano 7000 XTA Beastmaster reels, I've got 4 of them, again I think 10years old already. One is on my Spod rod, so is well abused.

They are still selling for the original retail price on Ebay.

If there is one person who uses and abuses gear, it's me.

Other items that have lasted:

100litre DPM Bergen rucksack, it's still alive although I updated to the MTP version last year. 

Love them or hate them my Delkim ST's bought around 2000, and still in use for pike fishing. 

Shimano Aerlex 8000's still going, used occasionally for pike fishing and if I need both spod and marker rods separately rather than one combined.

Century Big Bertha and her DD's, still spodding, and that must be a turn of the millennium rod!

Jrc cocoon bedchair must be early  2000s it's a bit battered, been moused, replaced the cord for zip ties, but it still gets used by my daughter and it's not a bad back up bedchair. I sometimes use it if I want to travel light because it weighs nearly nothing. 

Still got the cyprinus bunker that comes out for winter when I want a wrap or bivvy with a front. That's done me well. (I have just thought I might need to fix it though either that or I may have already bodged it, can't remember now😳

I'm on my 2nd ngt coolbag after the first one got moused but they seem to last quite well. Great value for money. 

Everything else seems to break,or I get bored and swap it for shiny new stuff. 

My Carp Porter barrow front food bag must be over 15 years old - looking a bit tired but functionally mint, might treat myself to a new one of those one day.  My barrow itself is fine and again over 15 years old.

Shimano Big Pit Bait runners - absolutely mint after god knows how many years 25 maybe, serviced twice max, superb reels - semi retired them this year!  Will probably end up back on them tbh - they dont make reels like that anymore bullet proof.

Cotswold Aquarius rod bag - must be getting on for 10 years and mint, looks almost new except for a bit of mud here and there, can't see me replacing that tbh

Aqua black rucksack, not that old 5-8 years but again the quality is right up there, cant see that ripping or anything - mint

Blue Tool box with clear lid I found in mums garage - used for a tackle box - 30 years - banging 🤣 thats always gonna be my tackle box.

Fox lightweight chair - 30 years - mint, replaced elastic once.

Not much lasts as long as we hope it will as this thread shows

Edited by kevtaylor

I only get out about 5-10 times a year, but here's my list.....

The Chair by Korum. It was my first real purchase when getting back into fishing after my son was born. He's just turned 19.

My Shimano Superbaitrunner XTE-A 5000s. I know they're considered small but they've been rock solid and have landed me fish over 30lb. I have 3, they've been out of production for over 10 years and they're still selling for a premium over their list price.

The original Kords rig safe. I know there's virtually nothing to go wrong on them, but they're far superior to the new ones, mainly dilute to their lack of 'soft touch' coating that breaks down.

My Prodigy Plus 2.75lb rods. Still fantastic rods even after 18 years of use. They pair really well with my reels and have only been sidelined due to me using some Daiwa Crosscast Exts that fit in the car when we go on holiday without too much trouble.

My Drennan Ultra Fine Bait Needle. It's so much finer than all the others I've tried and is still going strong after 18 years. TBH what can go wrong with it really. Even so, I went and bought some spares a few years ago on case they stopped making these ones.

My Greys 3 rod plus quiver. It takes 5 rods in separate sleeves, so even when I take my shorter rods, they fit in there.

My Fox Box. It's one of the original double sided boxes. Fantastic bit of kit I wouldn't give up.

My 30Plus telescopic landing net handle and net.

There's loads of other small bits boxes etc. I use all the time especially those small boxes that used to be given away but Angling Times etc. great bits of kit.

That makes me think, what defunct or refocused tackle brands do you miss? Time for another thread.

Edited by InteraX
Add more