Are the raised metal framed cradles safe for carp? I can't confirm but I'm sure I read somewhere about a fish having its tail snapped by being placed in one?

I'm using a cradle that lays on the deck with padded walls at the moment but it's pack down size is massive, so would like a more compact one. I like the way the metal framed ones fold up.

Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, yonny said:

Several years ago I bought a big Nash cradle with a metal frame. I set it up in the front room when it arrived, then packed it back down, and sent it back. Did not look at all safe to me.

Thanks for the reply mate. Is there anything you would suggest for rough ground?

@jh92 tbh most of the really well protected mats with sides pack down pretty big. If you're desperate to save space there are a couple of smaller/lighter options such as the Fox Easy Mat, and there are some even cheaper rip-off versions of it (think NGT and Shakespeare offer them). Worth a look but ultimately a bigger/bulkier mat will offer more protection.

53 minutes ago, yonny said:

@jh92 tbh most of the really well protected mats with sides pack down pretty big. If you're desperate to save space there are a couple of smaller/lighter options such as the Fox Easy Mat, and there are some even cheaper rip-off versions of it (think NGT and Shakespeare offer them). Worth a look but ultimately a bigger/bulkier mat will offer more protection.

Thanks mate will just stick with the one I got then 👍

First time I seen a cradle on the bank I was blown away by the stupidity of a cradle I was just pleasure angling on KWP pine pool, that was back when carp angling got serious and I decided to spread my wings and visit a few different carp venues.

Done alright to be fair, reckon I'm about ready for a water I have always had a eye on Bluebells, going to do a bit on mallard, then I'm off 40lb plus hunting on one of the big fish waters at BB, Plus they have a bell on the end, got me wrote all over, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Fox XL unhooking matt , i think its now called "Fox Easy Matt" now , its good but only really for fish in the low 20s, IMO

I also have a shimano matt with sides ,larger than the my Fox XL  ,very similar to the Fox carpmaster deluxe , which is great for Larger fish.

The sides dont squash down on the Shimano like the Fox XL does if the fish flips.

I have never liked Cradles at least the ones i have seen . 

I really don't like the metal framed cradles. I set one up as a display item in the tackle shop and was forced to look at it. I honestly could not recommend one.

I have two unhooking mats, one is a Chub Extra Protection Duo mat, which doubles up as a dog bed, and a Rod Hutchinson Cabrio Monster Unhooking mat which on the barrow doubles up as a barrow bag.

The inner cushion of the RH is removable and the mesh base allows water to drain out quickly.

Both are impressive, do exactly the job required, but I would say the plastic coating of the RH cushion could do with being better quality, it's starting to age perish on the curves.

Of the 2, the Cabrio had plenty of room for a 30lb common last year, but equally the Chub was comfortable holding pike, chub and carp to 20lb. The chub mat is also handy when stalking.

The higher walls for me, make fish handling difficult, especially lifting for pictures, but my health is not as important as fish safety.

Big problem may be that good tackle items which work are often discontinued and replaced with an upgraded version which is sch..

The first time I came across a metal framed cradle was on a trip to France the design had just been released and i was called over to give a hand with a photo. He had landed the fish a low 30 by the look of it and was going to be his pb placed the fish in the cradle pulled the flap over the fish and turned to get the scales and camera …when the fish flipped out of the cradle and landed with a thud flip flapped down the muddy slope to the water with him chasing after it. 🫣 he managed to get is hand on it before it the fish swam off. He was inconsolable and was his only run of the trip.  I also blanked with just a couple of jack pike on a spinner to my name.  

I personally prefer a low mat and use the fox easy mat for its compact size but always drape  the landing net over it if need be.