New purchases

B B

15 hours ago, B B said:

For smaller waters I use a cut down match rod that I snapped a foot off the end 😞 great rod for carp low doubles even use a spinner rod,  On the over end of the scale Iv used a big Nash controller had to be over 3oz could have been 4 oz ? with a 3lb carp rod on linnar man that float could fly 😳 …sadly I remember my mate playing a good fish on Oxlease in the bay at the back of the island using a floater rod it was bent double folded right over just couldn’t do anything with it and snapped him… he actually threw the rod into into the air landing it in a blackberry bush.. I got ripped to pieces trying to get it out 🙄…happy days 😄

This is the problem, my mate bought a new 2.75lb floater rod and said it bent double and couldn't do anything with the fish.  I'm thinking go straight in with a standard 3lb rod, like you say some of the floats weigh a bit and a big chuck might be needed on occasion, whilst it's usually close range.  I want to give it a good go next year, the adjustable zigs caught me a few bonus fish this year.  Embarrassed at how often I've gone fishing with no surface gear or baits tbh  a zig can get you out of a hole but not as good as it would be if you had the bait to drift over them or the surface rod obvs.

Lazy boy! 

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

This is the problem, my mate bought a new 2.75lb floater rod and said it bent double and couldn't do anything with the fish.  I'm thinking go straight in with a standard 3lb rod, like you say some of the floats weigh a bit and a big chuck might be needed on occasion, whilst it's usually close range.  I want to give it a good go next year, the adjustable zigs caught me a few bonus fish this year.  Embarrassed at how often I've gone fishing with no surface gear or baits tbh  a zig can get you out of a hole but not as good as it would be if you had the bait to drift over them or the surface rod obvs.

Lazy boy! 

I always used to take my floater rod and dog biscuits to Brackens when I fished there in the summer as there was always the chance of catching a fish from the surface.

I'm still using my barbel rod, guess that's around 1.5lb from memory, and is good with 12 or 15lb line and a standard controller or small interceptor.

20 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

My mates got the 2.75 ESP floater rod but says it's too soft, I'm looking at the Fox Horizon XT in 3lb, maybe 2.75.

I used a heavy Browning Spinning rod for floater fishing for years, it had the backbone, able to chuck big lures and had the guts to handle big carp.

I never really found a floater rod that was quite right

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I used a heavy Browning Spinning rod for floater fishing for years, it had the backbone, able to chuck big lures and had the guts to handle big carp.

I never really found a floater rod that was quite right

Thought I'd found a suitable one with cork handle, looked nice but had 50ml butt ring, lots I've looked at in 3lb versions have the 50s, not sure if I've got an issue with that or not tbh 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Thought I'd found a suitable one with cork handle, looked nice but had 50ml butt ring, lots I've looked at in 3lb versions have the 50s, not sure if I've got an issue with that or not tbh 🤷‍♂️

I know what you mean …but Im on the 40mm side of the fence lol… got a set of 3lb with 40mm also……looking over my shoulder and it’s all clear… got a set of 3.50lb with the big 50mm ring which after a couple of years I still don’t see the reason for the size.AD2939FB-7784-487E-AC8D-1C9C81C3073F.thumb.jpeg.5209b826e779d5f24908d27b4d311272.jpeg

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

1 hour ago, B B said:

I know what you mean …but Im on the 40mm side of the fence lol… got a set of 3lb with 40mm also……looking over my shoulder and it’s all clear… got a set of 3.50lb with the big 50mm ring which after a couple of years I still don’t see the reason for the size.AD2939FB-7784-487E-AC8D-1C9C81C3073F.thumb.jpeg.5209b826e779d5f24908d27b4d311272.jpeg

For floater fishing and stalking I definitely can't see any need for a 50mm butt ring, even 40mm is too big.

I wish someone did a 30 or 25mm butt ring, now that would be nice.

My mate Bruce did have a Century stalking rod that he got from the Solar rep years ago, I  think that had a 30mm.  I do know it was perfect.

Might have to start looking at spinning rods again...

I went to the shop near work that is sadly closing today, was a real shame because It was handy 

I bought 

polaris pop up mix 

Fosoil 

White dye 

Gardner air dry bag 

Gardner xl baiting needle 

Tubing and some other bits n bobs 

Chod hooks x2

Gas 

And got 40% off shame I am skint at the moment because I would have bought loads more stuff, 

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I went to the shop near work that is sadly closing today, was a real shame because It was handy 

I bought 

polaris pop up mix 

Fosoil 

White dye 

Gardner air dry bag 

Chod hooks x2

Gas 

And got 40% off shame I am skint at the moment because I would have bought loads more stuff, 

We got go outdoors and a new AD shop opened within a couple of mile's of my local shop I worry about its future. 
Fosoil used to put it on me maggots 

2 hours ago, B B said:

We got go outdoors and a new AD shop opened within a couple of mile's of my local shop I worry about its future. 
Fosoil used to put it on me maggots 

Yeah I think the online shops and those ones are killing off the smaller shops, without an online presence I think it's going to be tough for them all. 

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I bought 

polaris pop up mix 

Fosoil 

White dye 

Gardner air dry bag 

Chod hooks x2

Gas 

I often put up a cheap link for gas canisters when I renew mine. I'm forever bargain hunting.

6 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Yeah I think the online shops and those ones are killing off the smaller shops, without an online presence I think it's going to be tough for them all. 

Sadly local shops simply can't keep up with the price of 6x 500 size gas canisters, nor even my local camping shop.

13 hours ago, elmoputney said:

In todays world any “shop” without an online presence is just a fool.

even if it’s just a Facebook page.

I go to my local shop first  and never have I asked for any discount. they do only stock common brands and I have even asked them to get certain things if they can get it I will buy it from them.

I even gave them the chance to get me some rods but they couldn’t get an account so had to go elsewhere for them.

Otherwise most of the time it will either be 2 of the big boys 

I would also like to support the forum but the shop attached hasn’t got a single thing in stock.

my local angling direct is just poor and I can only think of 2 or3 things I have bought from there and that’s because they were the only ones who had in stock and probably during covid

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Funny, but not funny...

No i agree imagine being homeless and not being allowed a tent, we all like to keep warm on the bank in winter, we wouldn't want to do it without a bivvy, good sleep system etc she's an out of control fascist intent on making the worst affected peoples lives worse. 

Edited by elmoputney

I used to work in an area that was blighted by tramps, druggies and prostitutes. We often found abandoned tents outside the premises on a morning and they normally went in the skip. They didn't mind, just go to the council and get another one!

Unfortunately the housing system in this country is severely broke and I can see how many people are forced into rough sleeping.

16 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I used to work in an area that was blighted by tramps, druggies and prostitutes. We often found abandoned tents outside the premises on a morning and they normally went in the skip. They didn't mind, just go to the council and get another one!

Unfortunately the housing system in this country is severely broke and I can see how many people are forced into rough sleeping.

The housing system is screwed. Local authorities have taken away many homeless units, for other purposes. In Ipswich the big homeless unit on Woodbridge Road was converted into an offshoot of the hospital. One of the others was turned into private housing, no local authority accommodation. The hotels that were for British homeless, don't ask, I'll get accused of racism.

I spent a year sofa surfing, and 6 months living out of a backpack in a tent. It wasn't the local authority that picked me up, it was a charity.

When the local authority eventually offered me a flat, the first one was in an awful state as it stood, in a very rough area. Cracked glass in the double glazed windows, concrete floors that were pitted and electric wires hanging out of boxes. This was the state I was expected to take it in, and make it liveable myself.

I'm not fussy, but safe would be nice!

18 hours ago, elmoputney said:

No i agree imagine being homeless and not being allowed a tent, we all like to keep warm on the bank in winter, we wouldn't want to do it without a bivvy, good sleep system etc she's an out of control fascist intent on making the worst affected peoples lives worse. 

I've been forced to live in a tent or bivvy while homeless, so I know exactly what it is like.