Is my spod mix the missing link?

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Not sure if it is just coincidence but my recent results seem to suggest I catch when I use it and I blank when I just fish with boilies and pellet. 

Is this the missing link👇 

I just wonder if inviting them all to the party is the thing making the difference? 

Has anyone else noticed this? 

IMG_20230703_194005.thumb.jpg.b644022006b86192211c5edef82d808d.jpg

Think it depends on the water mate. I have mixed results on different waters, if I put particle mixed with boilie out on the reservoirs I fish I get hammered by bream and silver fish, so I spomb 20mm boilies that's been soaked in pure krill liquid and water and I don't get bothered by nuisance fish.

A few lakes I fish that are stocked with just carp and tench, particle and boilie does well, but if I put just boilie out they don't seem interested 🤷‍♂️🤣

I also think it’s down to the lake your fishing at Linear as we all know Hemp and sweetcorn is the base mix with some boilie but I took a sack of hemp and maze to a lake in France along with boilies after hearing the crazy amount of particle they put in but then saw the amount of silverfish they were catching I thought that’s a no no… I didn’t get one Bream just all Carp and just fed the boilies. 

5 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Not sure if it is just coincidence but my recent results seem to suggest I catch when I use it and I blank when I just fish with boilies and pellet. 

Is this the missing link👇 

I just wonder if inviting them all to the party is the thing making the difference? 

Has anyone else noticed this? 

IMG_20230703_194005.thumb.jpg.b644022006b86192211c5edef82d808d.jpg

When I fished Earith, if I put in particles I got plagued with bream and tench, not that I mind catching bream and tench, but they kept the carp out.

I caught best over pellet and boilie.

On Ardleigh, plenty of bait could get you both bream and carp, and Alton I rarely caught bream, nearly all carp.

Every water seems to be different.

Thanks for all the replies everyone 

The main one I can answer easily to is Nick as it is lake specific, the lake is a lot more pressured nowadays tbh and it's certainly different to when I first fished it, and they see a lot more bait probably mainly boilies, also I don't think there is as many tench and bream these days the Rudd seem to be the key nuisance. 

I think I've worked it out overnight and the answer is the maize I am using, the nuisance species must not be able to eat it so much so they are leaving it in favour of the other seeds and probably the boilies. 

My mix is 50% maize with a mix of seeds, maples, white peas, and a few other bits finished off with Molasses and a top secret garlic ingredient, I found in an animal feed place 

I'm now more convinced than ever it is the missing link and I am planning to do some bulk cooking and freezing 😂

Thanks guys, time for some mass prebaiting while no one is watching I think 🤔

just started soaking some and I think I've already used about 25kg of dry particles since may and I've only caught when using it or after prebaiting areas with it, can't be a coincidence I don't think, going to need to visit the animal feed place again soon. At just over 20 quid for 40kg seems mad not to mass de bait  😂 

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

My mix is 50% maize with a mix of seeds, maples, white peas, and a few other bits finished off with Molasses and a top secret garlic ingredient, I found in an animal feed place

Liquid or powder?

I have a nice garlic oil I use in my baits.

Maize can be a great bait, but I always felt needs spicing up a bit.

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

The main one I can answer easily to is Nick as it is lake specific, the lake is a lot more pressured nowadays tbh and it's certainly different to when I first fished it, and they see a lot more bait probably mainly boilies, also I don't think there is as many tench and bream these days the Rudd seem to be the key nuisance. 

There were plenty of rudd years ago, I had a few over 2lb, and you could see massive shoals swimming around the join point between the open water and the island end.

Strangely that is very close to the one swim I did well for carp fishing particles. Fishing towards the hawthorn bush and barbed wire fence, a gravel bar that is very up and down, from 5ft down to 10ft in the space of a couple of feet. I heavily baited with pigeon conditioner and Trigga boilies, and had 5 carp in one night with 3 20lb commons, a single figure mirror and another double. Shauna my daughter also landed another 20lb common.

I tried the same method further up and round where the end of the island and the rushes stick out of the water on the bank between Reeds and Virginia. I could not get past 6lb tench all night long. In the main lake, bream, bream and bream.

I was a heavy pellet baiter (I'll leave the jokes to others), with plenty of chopped and whole boilies in the mix. Mostly 8mm pellets in the spod.

If I fished at longer range over 50metres, it was boilies only. 

When I fished the main lake, I tended to fish towards the margins to avoid the bream as I regularly found carp or saw signs by the rushes, or under yhe brambles.

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Liquid or powder?

I have a nice garlic oil I use in my baits.

Maize can be a great bait, but I always felt needs spicing up a bit.

There were plenty of rudd years ago, I had a few over 2lb, and you could see massive shoals swimming around the join point between the open water and the island end.

Strangely that is very close to the one swim I did well for carp fishing particles. Fishing towards the hawthorn bush and barbed wire fence, a gravel bar that is very up and down, from 5ft down to 10ft in the space of a couple of feet. I heavily baited with pigeon conditioner and Trigga boilies, and had 5 carp in one night with 3 20lb commons, a single figure mirror and another double. Shauna my daughter also landed another 20lb common.

I tried the same method further up and round where the end of the island and the rushes stick out of the water on the bank between Reeds and Virginia. I could not get past 6lb tench all night long. In the main lake, bream, bream and bream.

I was a heavy pellet baiter (I'll leave the jokes to others), with plenty of chopped and whole boilies in the mix. Mostly 8mm pellets in the spod.

If I fished at longer range over 50metres, it was boilies only. 

When I fished the main lake, I tended to fish towards the margins to avoid the bream as I regularly found carp or saw signs by the rushes, or under yhe brambles.

Neither granules 😉

The Rudd have bred and bred now you can't really walk into any swim without seeing them. We cleared 160lb odd the other week and we are having another match this weekend to clear some more out. But there will still be loads 

I now cheat and use a bait boat tbh baiting in bulk has never been so easy or accurate tbh, especially with particles, no spod spill, no reels caked in molasses and seed juice, I can even use a bait scoop so I don't get my hands dirty at all 😂

It's a lot busier than it used to be a few of the swims are sewn up quite often, my plan is to make them come to me and give them a reason to stick around 😳

Just now, ouchthathurt said:

It sounds like the spod mix is having a positive effect mate, but also the confidence it instils when you’re fishing over it might also be a factor, the more confident you are the better you angle in my opinion 

I'm a terrible angler all the time mate doesn't matter what bait I use 😂

Tbh i hadn't even given it much thought until it dawned on me this weekend, but now I am sure it will 😳

Could well be, my fave bait is fresh hemp seed just knocked up four and a half kilo dry weight. Haven't got dry tigers in yet got my eye one something a bit special but it's a online buy and I'm in no position to be ordering bulk anything before I next get out so a tub of the Nash tigers to go in the hemp.

I soak my hemp for three days if I can in just water I sometimes add a little flavour pack a day before cooking I find you get a better split seed ratio if you don't add anything when soaking the mix.

2 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

Could well be, my fave bait is fresh hemp seed just knocked up four and a half kilo dry weight. Haven't got dry tigers in yet got my eye one something a bit special but it's a online buy and I'm in no position to be ordering bulk anything before I next get out so a tub of the Nash tigers to go in the hemp.

I soak my hemp for three days if I can in just water I sometimes add a little flavour pack a day before cooking I find you get a better split seed ratio if you don't add anything when soaking the mix.

I don't add anything else before hand, I like to soak for a minimum of 48 hours, I've just cooked some up this morning actually will add some Molasses and bits once it's cooled a bit more. Then I am going to freeze some and soak some more to get a stock pile built up 

6 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I don't add anything else before hand, I like to soak for a minimum of 48 hours, I've just cooked some up this morning actually will add some Molasses and bits once it's cooled a bit more. Then I am going to freeze some and soak some more to get a stock pile built up 

I've noticed the past couple of years with hemp getting smaller that it can split more easily. I used to soak for 24-48 hours then bring to boil, and drop to simmer until it split, 20-30mins tops.

Now I'm pour boiling water on it and boil 24hours later, although it will go after 12hours.

Strange, I've been preparing hemp and particles this morning as well. A bucket for arrival and one in the freezer for the next day.