New set of reels

7 hours ago, yonny said:

I agree with Elmo. While I'm a Daiwa man their lower end reels don't do it for me. You're better off with Okuma or Penn at that price point.

Don't even bother mate. It's cheap Indian rubbish.

Shimano quality of their price ranges is vastly different, the £90 upwards doesn't work for me, yet in the cheaper range only the standard ST Baitrunner, Beastmaster, Aerlex do, so no need to spend more, I would actually ignore the Ultegras!

In the £90-125 range look at the Penn reels, they do feel heavy duty.

Of course if you want Shimano, go back to early Big Pits, Aerlex's, Biomasters, BBLC, or Big Blue, and the early 4000/4500 6010/8010 Aero GTE's.

2 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Shimano quality of their price ranges is vastly different, the £90 upwards doesn't work for me, yet in the cheaper range only the standard ST Baitrunner, Beastmaster, Aerlex do, so no need to spend more, I would actually ignore the Ultegras!

In the £90-125 range look at the Penn reels, they do feel heavy duty.

Of course if you want Shimano, go back to early Big Pits, Aerlex's, Biomasters, BBLC, or Big Blue, and the early 4000/4500 6010/8010 Aero GTE's.

Was looking at the Shimano Aerlex at 1st....but now on the Crosscast 45 QD.

On 18/05/2022 at 10:03, Highy said:

Just had a trundle down to local Fishing Republic...

Daiwa Reels now....

Crosscast 5000 C QD....£79.99 reduced to £69 now, only 3 left.

This felt light in the hand, had a good retrieve on turning.

20220518_091646.thumb.jpg.f58fcc6c8dcd8e674635bf020fe617cd.jpg

Crosscast 45 SCE 5000C QD £109....this is my favourite of em both, slow retrieve, also light.

20220518_091650.thumb.jpg.313863c4f6e69eb921d7e2142d89f7f7.jpg

Both reels have half turn drag from lock to free spool...

Thoughts please....

Iv used a set of the Cross Cast X5000’s for years got them to go to France and to use at Linear waters, them must have been improved with the newer models. I needed the larger spool that my Aero 10000xte didn’t have, was happy with the Dawia’s performance, got me the extra distance and dealt with big fish in weed… but they are a bit flimsy and plasticly. …

94921952-C914-42B1-B652-401CA675C385.jpeg

I'm now between the DAIWA CROSSCAST 45 SCW QD or SHIMANO ULTEGRA 14000 XTD....I should have a set of 2 at least by the end of the week...

The only thing is that, Fishing Republic have the Daiwa there n then (New), but the XTD I'll have to scour the sites for (2nd hand).

6 hours ago, Highy said:

I'm now between the DAIWA CROSSCAST 45 SCW QD or SHIMANO ULTEGRA 14000 XTD....I should have a set of 2 at least by the end of the week...

The only thing is that, Fishing Republic have the Daiwa there n then (New), but the XTD I'll have to scour the sites for (2nd hand).

I take it you’ve never owned either Shimmy’s or Daiwa’s previously ?

In my experience people tend to like one or the other ….

mMust be difficult to choose if you never owned either .

If you had there wouldn’t be a contest .

18 minutes ago, newmarket said:

I take it you’ve never owned either Shimmy’s or Daiwa’s previously ?

In my experience people tend to like one or the other ….

mMust be difficult to choose if you never owned either .

If you had there wouldn’t be a contest .

I've had Daiwa feeder reels when I was on the Match seen, and the old Gold and Black Daiwa Emblem for Carp fishing...that's all really.

Both were just as good as each other...the Shimano I had a few go's with a mates, the Crosscast I've handled in store.

I used Diawa cross cast 5000x reels, I’ve got 4 of them, 2 are on my boys rods, ones on a spod rod and one is a spare. They held up to my hamfisted efforts to knack them, I broke one when in a proper strop while snagged up, wrenching for a break, diawa replaced it no questions asked. My boy uses them with no issues at all. I’ve got the fox EOS 12000 reels and I absolutely love them. 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Screenshot_20220525_173808_com.instagram.android.thumb.jpg.86e38e3f55dbcfa6ad456e8c1df737a5.jpg

Good enough for Ian Russell that will do me 😂

3 minutes ago, B B said:

Nice reels 😍

Just read on Okumas website that these are a long cast spinning reel....unless these are the Okuma 8K FD version 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by Highy

On 23/05/2022 at 08:04, Highy said:

I can now get the Daiwa Crosscast for £93.50 each....think they will be on my rods tomorrow.....as I've no reels now at the moment 🤣🤣

• 4 months later...