New Shelter

Apologies for the repitition

, I know there’s a list of similar threads as long as your arm .

I have arthritis in my hands and arms ( less so) nowadays and along with my age will make lugging around and erecting my old faithful STI 2 man Bivvy a chore I’d rather not have anymore so I’m on the lookout for a Brolly system that is light-ish but easy to erect and put away in order to be as mobile as poss yet possibly small enough to get the main body of it into the central part of my quiver .

Ideally I’d want the option of adding an overwrap in the Autumn and winter so although it appears that I want the world , I’ve made a shortlist of those that I like the look of , and would appreciate any reviews recommendations opinions etc . 
Dosh isn’t a problem but I won’t she’ll out silly money .

I like the look of :

Wychwood MHR mk2 brolly system ( I’ve emailed Wychwoood to find out if there’s a wrap).

Avid hq dual layer brolly system ( maybe wrap not necessary ?due to dual layer ?)

Rod Hutchinson Cabrio system ( I KNOW I can get a wrap for it).

what ja reckon guys ?

22 hours ago, newmarket said:

Apologies for the repitition

, I know there’s a list of similar threads as long as your arm .

I have arthritis in my hands and arms ( less so) nowadays and along with my age will make lugging around and erecting my old faithful STI 2 man Bivvy a chore I’d rather not have anymore so I’m on the lookout for a Brolly system that is light-ish but easy to erect and put away in order to be as mobile as poss yet possibly small enough to get the main body of it into the central part of my quiver .

Ideally I’d want the option of adding an overwrap in the Autumn and winter so although it appears that I want the world , I’ve made a shortlist of those that I like the look of , and would appreciate any reviews recommendations opinions etc . 
Dosh isn’t a problem but I won’t she’ll out silly money .

I like the look of :

Wychwood MHR mk2 brolly system ( I’ve emailed Wychwoood to find out if there’s a wrap).

Avid hq dual layer brolly system ( maybe wrap not necessary ?due to dual layer ?)

Rod Hutchinson Cabrio system ( I KNOW I can get a wrap for it).

what ja reckon guys ?

I can give you a full breakdown on the RH Cabrio Hybrid Brolly, it is what I am sat in right now.

The brolly itself is big, must be a 60inch brolly with sides. 

The groundsheet is provided, and clips in place.

You can set the brolly up with just the front bars, but also comes with Storm sticks. The brolly pushes up on a central pole which is then unscrewed and a 'stop blank' fits in place. You do have a spoke protector 'membrane' to stop you hitting the spokes, but that can be fiddly, and isn't an essential fit.

Door system zips into place on either the brolly, or the extension, and is able to be pegged down, or  tied back and door up. It has mozzie mesh on the side panel under the 'blank'.

The standard extension, (there is a Euro version as well) is a 450mm extension that zips on, with additional front bar and spacers to keep it pushed forward, and a groundsheet extension.

Overwrap, it does work at reducing or even preventing condensation, there is a decent gap between brolly and wrap. Although it does sit on the top spokes, it can pull out at the sides to give the gap. It velcroes to the front bar, and has decent pegging points.

With overwrap 

IMG_20211104_121217.jpg

Plain brolly, no storm sticks.

Screenshot_20220405-193730_Facebook.jpg

Full Hybrid Brolly with extension 

Screenshot_20220405-193857_Facebook.jpg

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Typo

Don't rule out the Sonik AXS - Brolly/Shelter/Bivvy. 

All 3 incorporate the Same overwrap, 

Brolly is as it is, just put 5 poles together, Fan out, lock 2 front poles in place, tension strap, peg out. 

But that's all it come as... You can purchase and add a Groundsheet also, but can't add a front, No rear vents. 

Screenshot_20210418_152047.thumb.jpg.5bc85f3980c8ad0b1574b06d8bea1b76.jpg

IMG_20200823_060544.thumb.jpg.8ccf52ce1b5072c103b5421fbc4150f8.jpg

Shelter has rear vents, Can add an optional Groundsheet and can add an optional front. 

Bivvy Sytems - Comes as a full package, Bivvy, Groundsheet, Front, Storm Poles.

Screenshot_20211009_173650.thumb.jpg.4dc99a4d6c028d154c82bfe2bd47a863.jpg

Also all 3 can use the same overwrap. 

Screenshot_20210502_155924.thumb.jpg.54a349d5a8bce456617534d5cb13e027.jpg

Screenshot_20210502_201107.thumb.jpg.b816224971e69174ed459c2bad0542b5.jpg

Mine on the right (Camo Wrap now), mates on the left. 

Screenshot_20220401_170918.thumb.jpg.863cce32389411c3520d3555d3bdfcf2.jpg

Edited by Highy

4 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

fox have a light weight frontier out look good think it is around the 300 mark no doors or anything though. 

Sonik have their extractor bivvy out looks a bit small for an old fella but it is a good one.centre block fan opening. 

Yah seen the Fox Frontier Lite, looks decent, same again for optional extras. 

The Extractor Bivvy is very tight, seen it at the Northern Angling Show... I'll be staying away from that, same principal as AXS. 

13 hours ago, Highy said:

Don't rule out the Sonik AXS - Brolly/Shelter/Bivvy. 

All 3 incorporate the Same overwrap, 

Brolly is as it is, just put 5 poles together, Fan out, lock 2 front poles in place, tension strap, peg out. 

But that's all it come as... You can purchase and add a Groundsheet also, but can't add a front, No rear vents. 

Screenshot_20210418_152047.thumb.jpg.5bc85f3980c8ad0b1574b06d8bea1b76.jpg

IMG_20200823_060544.thumb.jpg.8ccf52ce1b5072c103b5421fbc4150f8.jpg

Shelter has rear vents, Can add an optional Groundsheet and can add an optional front. 

Bivvy Sytems - Comes as a full package, Bivvy, Groundsheet, Front, Storm Poles.

Screenshot_20211009_173650.thumb.jpg.4dc99a4d6c028d154c82bfe2bd47a863.jpg

Also all 3 can use the same overwrap. 

Screenshot_20210502_155924.thumb.jpg.54a349d5a8bce456617534d5cb13e027.jpg

Screenshot_20210502_201107.thumb.jpg.b816224971e69174ed459c2bad0542b5.jpg

Mine on the right (Camo Wrap now), mates on the left. 

Screenshot_20220401_170918.thumb.jpg.863cce32389411c3520d3555d3bdfcf2.jpg

Thanks for that mate . Yes it does look ok doesn’t it , I remember another thread where we chatted about it . 
I wasn’t over keen on the fact that you have to buy everything separately and that you couldn’t add a front to the basic brolly , only the overwrap .

I know I said money isn’t much of a problem but I don’t want to invest in a full blown Bivvy straight away which buying the shelter with everything else added would pretty much entail and for the money it would add up to I might as well just buy a Bivvy … does that make sense ? 
You know it is really peeing me off the way these companies force you to keep coughing up for additional bits .

Its why I’ve instantly dismissed anything Fox or Trakker …and they’re not alone .

Being greedy I’m basically after the whole system plus the option to add an overwrap later .

appreciate your input though , I would have done the same . Years ago despite its weight I was always plugging my STI .

10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've heard of issues with the wychwood ones leaking 

And I’ve heard of the Avid dual layers having the same problem first time out as well , on another forum .

It could be a one off in that case but have you heard of more than one case ?

Ive heard of Fox brollys leaking yet everybody raves about em

13 minutes ago, newmarket said:

And I’ve heard of the Avid dual layers having the same problem first time out as well , on another forum .

Same person twice lol, I don't buy a lot of fox stuff these days tbh, I'm still bitter about how rubbish exocet spod braid was, I'm still cross with Nash for my old titan being a bit poo 20 years ago and monster particles for sending me 10kg of tigers that were on the turn and not offering to replace them, but I don't hold grudges 😂

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

Same person twice lol, I don't buy a lot of fox stuff these days tbh, I'm still bitter about how rubbish exocet spod braid was, I'm still cross with Nash for my old titan being a bit poo 20 years ago and monster particles for sending me 10kg of tigers that were on the turn and not offering to replace them, but I don't hold grudges 😂

With 2 different Wychwood’s ?

Verrrry suspicious.

20 minutes ago, newmarket said:

I had a fox Supa Brolly mk2, was an Awsome Brolly, never 1 issue with this, but I know the new fox ultra venttec brooly the pole thread in the middle was like butter on the 1st batch. 

17 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I can give you a full breakdown on the RH Cabrio Hybrid Brolly, it is what I am sat in right now.

The brolly itself is big, must be a 60inch brolly with sides. 

The groundsheet is provided, and clips in place.

You can set the brolly up with just the front bars, but also comes with Storm sticks. The brolly pushes up on a central pole which is then unscrewed and a 'stop blank' fits in place. You do have a spoke protector 'membrane' to stop you hitting the spokes, but that can be fiddly, and isn't an essential fit.

Door system zips into place on either the brolly, or the extension, and is able to be pegged down, or  tied back and door up. It has mozzie mesh on the side panel under the 'blank'.

The standard extension, (there is a Euro version as well) is a 450mm extension that zips on, with additional front bar and spacers to keep it pushed forward, and a groundsheet extension.

Overwrap, it does work at reducing or even preventing condensation, there is a decent gap between brolly and wrap. Although it does sit on the top spokes, it can pull out at the sides to give the gap. It velcroes to the front bar, and has decent pegging points.

With overwrap 

IMG_20211104_121217.jpg

Plain brolly, no storm sticks.

Screenshot_20220405-193730_Facebook.jpg

Full Hybrid Brolly with extension 

Screenshot_20220405-193857_Facebook.jpg

Yeah Nick , I’m leaning towards the Cabrio ( per our conversation) and the Avid but I read a bad review about the Avid leaking on another forum ( in a thread you contributed to funnily enough) and I want somebody somewhere to tell me it’s the Doggies danglies .

othr than that , yes I’m leaning towards the Cabrio .

Still open to different options though as I don’t rush into anything .

5 minutes ago, newmarket said:

With 2 different Wychwood’s ?

Verrrry suspicious.

One was returned then the next one did it 

solar tackle are on a yellow card, after the bankmaster bedchair debacle used once and the frame all bent, wasn't happy having to deal with that,I have a sonik axs duralloy now (brilliant bed) 

6DB3D1CC-80C0-4979-B68E-13157876C2CB.thumb.jpeg.200feefae631401f5355352f4643c879.jpegI usually spent my nights under the groundhog for 80% of my night angling as most of my overnight are from March to November.

If I do go for over 48hrs or the weather is really inclement i bought a second hand (mint condition) JRC Extreme brolly system for £120 off a mate a few years ago and it’s been pretty sound tbh.

It is a bit heavy (10kg) but rock solid has an infill to stop condensation heavy duty groundsheet and quite spacious. Definitely one to look at if there is any knocking around.1F5483E5-0998-426F-8DA8-F9DB3323EE68.thumb.jpeg.cccb373d55dd047ce460566f943b81af.jpeg

On 05/04/2022 at 08:46, newmarket said:

IMO this will be the one.

I've got the Mk1 brolley System 'Ascent' - so much better quality than anything I've seen, everyone who sees it makes a comment.   The fabric was the same as the Ozz Tent and Ridgemonkey - heavy duty.

Mk2 looks sick, and the toggle in second layer will be bang on no doubt, ribs have been pushed right up - its an ever better shelter no doubt, different fabric but it will be very good still - probably lighter than it was.

I've got the AVID 2 man bivvy with toggle in second layer and zero condensation ever - and I've used that for years now, summer, winter no probs!

I sound like a bit of a fan boy BUT their kit seems to be top notch every time IMO 👍

36 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I've got the Mk1 brolley System 'Ascent' - so much better quality than anything I've seen, everyone who sees it makes a comment.   The fabric was the same as the Ozz Tent and Ridgemonkey - heavy duty.

Mk2 looks sick, and the toggle in second layer will be bang on no doubt, ribs have been pushed right up - its an ever better shelter no doubt, different fabric but it will be very good still - probably lighter than it was.

I've got the AVID 2 man bivvy with toggle in second layer and zero condensation ever - and I've used that for years now, summer, winter no probs!

I sound like a bit of a fan boy BUT their kit seems to be top notch every time IMO 👍

https://forum.carp.com/topic/16557-avid-ascent-brolly-system/

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Was hoping you’d pipe up Kev as I’d read your review of your ascent brolly even before Highy posted that link above ⬆️ 

Is the one I have my eye on the mk2 version of your one do you think ?

I must admit it looks the nuts .

it’s quite expensive but I take it from what you said above that it would be worth it yes ?

Do you reckon it would suffice for winter ok ? 
Even though I’d definitely be a bit of a fair weather fisherman these days I’d still like the option . It’s why I’m looking for a Brolly that I can add an overwrap to if necessary.

Would the dual layer material on this negate the need for an additional overwrap ?

16 hours ago, newmarket said:

Was hoping you’d pipe up Kev as I’d read your review of your ascent brolly even before Highy posted that link above ⬆️ 

Is the one I have my eye on the mk2 version of your one do you think ?   Latest Version

I must admit it looks the nuts . TRU DAT

it’s quite expensive but I take it from what you said above that it would be worth it yes ? Totally

Do you reckon it would suffice for winter ok ? Yeah cant see why not, I did in the old 1 skin version, bigger shelters can be nice in winter though
Even though I’d definitely be a bit of a fair weather fisherman these days I’d still like the option . It’s why I’m looking for a Brolly that I can add an overwrap to if necessary.

Would the dual layer material on this negate the need for an additional overwrap ? 100% - just leave it clipped in all the time

Hi mate,

Yeah looking at their website now it's this:  A0530011 Dual Layer Brolly System

and what a fine system it looks - I would not hesitate to buy that - not for one second.

What I did do on my MK1 was cut small strips of leather ( about 8mil wide) and stuck them under the ends of the 4 main poles if you like - 2 back and 2 side I think), so they went into the webbing pockets at ground level.  This prevented the poles ever pushing through the webbing pockets.  They may have pushed through over time - I've seen that on other shelters and I had an old belt so did the preventative work just coz I could.  I saw the brolly as a lifetime buy, and I'm not wrong - I will be back in it this summer on a new venue and still expect it to see me out, it is still perfect, but a bit faded - (carpy) 🤣

Whilst my MK1 doesn't have a clip in second layer, my HQ 2 Man does and it toggles in really easily, is a lightweight fabric sheet that I just leave in always, no condensation noticed at any time of year.  I do think there will be a little in extreme conditions on the underside of the outer layer but nothing has come through to the inside ever.

Quality of fabric on both my systems is top notch IMO

I'm jealous TBH 👍