Oil

Hi Guys, 

Today, my 2 fish came from bites using Sticky Baits Peach n Pepper Pop Ups with small pva mesh bags pellet dipped in Sticky Baits Hemp oil, no freebie Boilies extra either. 

So, I'm wondering does actual oil have an influence... Im thinking of purchasing some but mate also recommended Sticky Baits Cap oil. 

So it's either Sticky Baits - Hemp Oil, Cap Oil, Salmon Oil, I know there's matching Cloudty liquids to each boilie range, also theres Calanus Liquid, Pure Fish Liquid, Pure Shrimp, Fish Sauce. 

17 minutes ago, Highy said:

Hi Guys, 

Today, my 2 fish came from bites using Sticky Baits Peach n Pepper Pop Ups with small pva mesh bags pellet dipped in Sticky Baits Hemp oil, no freebie Boilies extra either. 

So, I'm wondering does actual oil have an influence... Im thinking of purchasing some but mate also recommended Sticky Baits Cap oil. 

So it's either Sticky Baits - Hemp Oil, Cap Oil, Salmon Oil, I know there's matching Cloudty liquids to each boilie range, also theres Calanus Liquid, Pure Fish Liquid, Pure Shrimp, Fish Sauce. 

Which would be best just for a Dip?... 

Mate thinks Cap Oil. 

Screenshot_20220313_193019.thumb.jpg.16e81f466877bd2093b65f1e9449b5e0.jpg

12 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

depends on the time of the year really a safe bet is the hemp, to be honest i'd stay away from oil till may-ish essential baits do a fermented cranberry liquid it's on my to get list. 

https://www.essentialbaits.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_13&products_id=39

The Hemp oil was (I think) a factor today, with repeated Sliks forming, surely fish feeding, so I think I'll try the Hemp oil 1st just as a dip, the Liquid foods I have will with the matching Boilies and Dust/Crumbed. 

So as far as I am aware carp can not detect oils they have no receptors for it, what they can detect is the lipids and any micro nutrients that are dispersed into the water as the oil rises off what ever its attached to.

Which oil is best ?, well can depend on the time of year when the water is colder i would stay away from fish oils as the congeal in the cold water and will leave a fatty residue all over what you have coated or soaked in them, best test is take your oil of choice and put a little bit in the fridge and see what happens to it.  I have also listened to something recently that suggest it doesnt really what which oil you choose as they all have a good lipid content and its the other things oil can bring like being a converyor for other items that you have mixed it with like lifting particles into the water column. You dont need to pay carp tax for a good oil, the supermarkets crry plenty Good Hemp Oil and Toasted Seasame Seed Oil are 2 that I use.

Some of the other liquids are Hydroylsates and shouldnt be confused with Oils as they are very different but they can be mixed together to create a good effect for drawing fish to bait.

Cloudy liquids, just find a combination of liquids you like and get some condensed milk from the supermarket and mix then together will cloud th water up a treat.

If you use the Cap Oil make sure you wash your hands before going to the toilet 😉😆

8 hours ago, hutch said:

So as far as I am aware carp can not detect oils they have no receptors for it, what they can detect is the lipids and any micro nutrients that are dispersed into the water as the oil rises off what ever its attached to.

Which oil is best ?, well can depend on the time of year when the water is colder i would stay away from fish oils as the congeal in the cold water and will leave a fatty residue all over what you have coated or soaked in them, best test is take your oil of choice and put a little bit in the fridge and see what happens to it.  I have also listened to something recently that suggest it doesnt really what which oil you choose as they all have a good lipid content and its the other things oil can bring like being a converyor for other items that you have mixed it with like lifting particles into the water column. You dont need to pay carp tax for a good oil, the supermarkets crry plenty Good Hemp Oil and Toasted Seasame Seed Oil are 2 that I use.

Some of the other liquids are Hydroylsates and shouldnt be confused with Oils as they are very different but they can be mixed together to create a good effect for drawing fish to bait.

Cloudy liquids, just find a combination of liquids you like and get some condensed milk from the supermarket and mix then together will cloud th water up a treat.

If you use the Cap Oil make sure you wash your hands before going to the toilet 😉😆

Despite that, there are some oils that do seem to make a difference.

On Taverham back in the early 1990's, baits had to be soaked in Salmon Oil to get a take. I was using a birdfood bait, and against the dominant fishmeal, I could not get a take until I soaked the bait in Salmon Oil, even the fishmeals were dripping.

Obviously this stopped (nationwide), with the articles on the deaths of fish with enlarged livers soaked in oils, and more sensible levels came back.

I do mix oils in with my groundbaits and pellets, and with other liquids, and some do get an increased interest; garlic oil, peanut oil, rapeseed and sunflower oil.

On 14/03/2022 at 18:36, Highy said:

Sticky is £8 for 500ml....have look both

Personally I’d rather buy food grade than a less refined oil. Buy the best quality, which isn’t always the most expensive. Sticky just buy hemp oil in bulk and bottle it. 

with the demand for hemp products skyrocketing over the last 6/7 years I doubt a fishing company are buying in food grade hemp oil to re-sell to anglers, they probably aren’t going to be sold it by suppliers. You can barely get decent dry hemp without paying a premium now as it all goes to the “superfood” industry. 

4 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Personally I’d rather buy food grade than a less refined oil. Buy the best quality, which isn’t always the most expensive. Sticky just buy hemp oil in bulk and bottle it. 

with the demand for hemp products skyrocketing over the last 6/7 years I doubt a fishing company are buying in food grade hemp oil to re-sell to anglers, they probably aren’t going to be sold it by suppliers. You can barely get decent dry hemp without paying a premium now as it all goes to the “superfood” industry. 

What would be a decent food grade Hemp oil?... The "Good Hemp Oil" mentioned above? 

The good hemp oil is good. I’ve used it in the past. If my memory serves me correctly the sticky hemp oil has a green tinge to it and you get a bit of “gunk” in the bottom.  Whereas the good hemp doesn’t have either. Hence they are two different qualities entirely. 

Not sure if the fish will ever know the difference but for me personally the one produced for humans is cheaper. There’s a few more out there, pain to find on Google as you get hits for CBD oil mostly and they mainly are more expensive than sticky hemp oil tbh. 

4 hours ago, greekskii said:

The good hemp oil is good. I’ve used it in the past. If my memory serves me correctly the sticky hemp oil has a green tinge to it and you get a bit of “gunk” in the bottom.  Whereas the good hemp doesn’t have either. Hence they are two different qualities entirely. 

Not sure if the fish will ever know the difference but for me personally the one produced for humans is cheaper. There’s a few more out there, pain to find on Google as you get hits for CBD oil mostly and they mainly are more expensive than sticky hemp oil tbh. 

I think the Sticky Hemp oil is what is left after grinding or crushing the hemp up, which is why you get the gunk and green tinge, it is straight from the hemp.

Human food grade is probably filtered and sieved to remove that.

If I run out of the good oil I use what ever is in the kitchen normally Sainsbury’s sunflower oil I use a little to coat my mixers helps to give them a flat spot if theirs a ripple on the water easier to see them and a little in the spod mix which gives a flat spot when fish are feeding over the mix … But I only use the oil in the warmer months. 

So... heres a question... doing a 48 from tuesday the weather is high pressure with 18°daytime 3° overnight... is it worth using hemp oil in my mix (sticky manilla boilies 12/16mm, hemp, maggots, corn, tigers and pellets) or should I stick with the Cloudy Manilla juice...? ( or a bit of both...?)

Edited by bluelabel
Addendum

I would make my decision once I got there and had a look at the lake.weather may be looking like that but they usually get it wrong lol

Maybe knock up a small bucket of bait with some oils in it if that takes your fancy 

could be a singles day when you get there

personally I hate those big temperature swings

Edited by framey

I completely stopped using oils a fair few years ago now, A) because carp have no receptors to detect it and B) because it tells other anglers where my spots are when it's slicking up/being fed on. As far as I can tell my catch rate hasn't changed one bit.

14 hours ago, bluelabel said:

one of mine will be out about 6-8' off the deck

@bluelabel, when it comes to zigs don't think about how far off the deck you are, rather how far under the surface you are. This time of year you want the top third, 3 to 5 ft under the surface is a decent starting point.