Spod mix idea

elmoputney

Nothing groundbreaking but I'm bored and fancied trying to come up with a spod mix that should work consistently , I was trying to think of using a spod mix as a whole and rather than chopping and changing just use this everytime for prebaiting and also when fishing, this is what I came up with 

Spod mix

1kg pigeon conditioner
1kg hempseed
500g maples
500g popcorn maize
500g peanut granules or peanuts? 
500g tiger nuts whole and crushed 
Once cooked add 
Good glug of Molasses 
Salt 
Liquid liver hydro 
Evap milk 
1kg of boilies whole and chopped and 
Pellets before spombing out and also some cloudy groundbait to bind

Any thoughts or ideas to improve or customise this further would be appreciated? I kind of want a mix that is unique so it has my stamp on 😁

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Nothing groundbreaking but I'm bored and fancied trying to come up with a spod mix that should work consistently , I was trying to think of using a spod mix as a whole and rather than chopping and changing just use this everytime for prebaiting and also when fishing, this is what I came up with 

Spod mix

1kg pigeon conditioner
1kg hempseed
500g maples
500g popcorn maize
Once cooked add 
Good glug of Molasses 
Salt 
Liquid liver hydro 
Evap milk 

Any thoughts or ideas to improve or customise this further would be appreciated? I kind of want a mix that is unique so it has my stamp on 😁

I'd go with the all the particles and the boilies but the liquid additives and salt I'd leave alone. 

If you do the mix you've written down and on top of it one of your goo'd up hookbaits there will be so many signals the carp wouldn't know what is going on. Sometimes too many signals,  especially if over powering can be a repellent.  It might also be a flier, but have you the time to sit behind rods for a number of weekend's to find out? Less is more they say. From your list I personally would use 3 items and that's it. 

I use pigeon conditioner (cheap and varied) and hemp (not so cheap any more) and once cooked, add a kilo bag of frozen sweetcorn (cheap and doing my bit for the environment by not using a tin.) After that I add a good dollop of salt and chilli powder. As I prefer using a spod to a spomb, I'll make up a groundbait mix to plug it, normally bound with the juice from the seeds but you could any add liquid you've mentioned.

This time of year I don't go overboard with particles and PVA bags with crumbed boilie are a good starting point. Liquids can take it to a whole new level, watch Adam Penning's video below for some brilliant idea's.

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Spod mix

1kg pigeon conditioner
1kg hempseed
500g maples
500g popcorn maize
Once cooked add 
Good glug of Molasses 
Salt 
Liquid liver hydro 
Evap milk 

Honest answer is I would leave out the maples and maize from the particles, and I'd be using ground tiggers and peanuts in rather than whole. The fish will really get stuck in on smaller pieces, whereas with tigers, peanuts and maize, larger particles, they can be selective. I have seen carp picking out specific food items in a mix! 

The only reason I would use salt is if I was PVA bagging it, but with dry groundbait, if you are quick enough you can get away without it. 

Liquid wise, molasses and evaporated milk would be the only ones I would add, the milk is fine at creating a cloud. 

I think we try to be too clever at creating our own mixes, pigeon conditioner and hemp work on their own as they stand, as does hemp and maize. Even maples work on their own, and are a good tench bait. The other thing is adding to the cost with extra ingredients, pigeon conditioner, and maize are cheap. 

I do like using peanut granules and crushed or tiger granules in groundbait, but I don't honestly think it makes much difference. 

The advantage of having whole tigers, maize, maples and peanuts is you could use them as hookbait. 

Always a few crushed and whole boilies in the mix. 

I mention I have seen carp pick up specific items from a particle mix; hemp from a mix of hemp and tares, and hemp from a mix of pigeon conditioner and hemp. 

Whole tigers from a particle mix. 

1 hour ago, emmcee said:

I'd go with the all the particles and the boilies but the liquid additives and salt I'd leave alone. 

If you do the mix you've written down and on top of it one of your goo'd up hookbaits there will be so many signals the carp wouldn't know what is going on. Sometimes too many signals,  especially if over powering can be a repellent.  It might also be a flier, but have you the time to sit behind rods for a number of weekend's to find out? Less is more they say. From your list I personally would use 3 items and that's it. 

That's probably good advice tbh, I guess the point of trying to make a hookbait stand out is that it does 😁

I've already got a load of pigeon conditioner so that has to stay in, will have a rethink about the rest, I want some bigger particles in there I think though 

Thanks good advice as usual 👍

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

That's probably good advice tbh, I guess the point of trying to make a hookbait stand out is that it does 😁

I've already got a load of pigeon conditioner so that has to stay in, will have a rethink about the rest, I want some bigger particles in there I think though 

Thanks good advice as usual 👍

My fish from Alton last few seasons came over Vitalin, pigeon conditioner and hemp. The Vitalin was only used as a binder so I could throw it in by hand from the bridge... 

If I Spombed it in it was just boilies, pigeon conditioner and hemp. 

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

I use pigeon conditioner (cheap and varied) and hemp (not so cheap any more) and once cooked, add a kilo bag of frozen sweetcorn (cheap and doing my bit for the environment by not using a tin.) After that I add a good dollop of salt and chilli powder. As I prefer using a spod to a spomb, I'll make up a groundbait mix to plug it, normally bound with the juice from the seeds but you could any add liquid you've mentioned.

This time of year I don't go overboard with particles and PVA bags with crumbed boilie are a good starting point. Liquids can take it to a whole new level, watch Adam Penning's video below for some brilliant idea's.

I just checked my phone and looked up some fish captures and distances using maggots and pva. I tie the bag using a long tag end to a big eye swivel at the end of the lead core using a inline lead helicopter style not very aerodynamic looks like a long sausage but go’s 96yds. In the past I did think of threading the bag through the lead core but gave up on the idea with the lead core being wet. Il be giving Adam’s rig a go for sure 

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Honest answer is I would leave out the maples and maize from the particles, and I'd be using ground tiggers and peanuts in rather than whole. The fish will really get stuck in on smaller pieces, whereas with tigers, peanuts and maize, larger particles, they can be selective. I have seen carp picking out specific food items in a mix! 

The only reason I would use salt is if I was PVA bagging it, but with dry groundbait, if you are quick enough you can get away without it. 

Liquid wise, molasses and evaporated milk would be the only ones I would add, the milk is fine at creating a cloud. 

I think we try to be too clever at creating our own mixes, pigeon conditioner and hemp work on their own as they stand, as does hemp and maize. Even maples work on their own, and are a good tench bait. The other thing is adding to the cost with extra ingredients, pigeon conditioner, and maize are cheap. 

I do like using peanut granules and crushed or tiger granules in groundbait, but I don't honestly think it makes much difference. 

The advantage of having whole tigers, maize, maples and peanuts is you could use them as hookbait. 

Always a few crushed and whole boilies in the mix. 

I mention I have seen carp pick up specific items from a particle mix; hemp from a mix of hemp and tares, and hemp from a mix of pigeon conditioner and hemp. 

Whole tigers from a particle mix. 

Thanks for that Nick 

Again makes a lot of sense, i think I was trying to cover all bases but simplifying it does make more sense really, 

Tbh one of the reasons why I thought about adding some of the bigger particles was so I could try different hookbaits and also so they didn't get used to one sized bait, but this could still be done in other ways, with stringers or mesh bags and Pva friendly items, I have got some mainline crushed nuts that are Pva friendly which could be useful, maybe just add some groundbait and couple of whole tigers or whatever and one on the hook, could be a nice little trap 🤔

7 hours ago, emmcee said:

Are other members using tigers , peanuts do you know? Peanuts can be devastating on some waters where they've not seen them before.  

Well technically they should never have seen a tiger nut 😂

But I've had people telling me they are devastating, I've seen them being used on catch reports so I think people are using them all the time 🤔

7 hours ago, emmcee said:

Are other members using tigers , peanuts do you know? Peanuts can be devastating on some waters where they've not seen them before.  

It does make me think though I did alright not breaking the rules last year, if I start now then I am no better I guess, 🤔😳 

Maybe hemp, pigeon conditioner and a mix of pellets and boilies is the way to  go,  then the only thing I'm adding is hemp,😁

Cheers guys 

17 hours ago, elmoputney said:

1kg pigeon conditioner
1kg hempseed
500g maples
500g popcorn maize
Once cooked add 
Good glug of Molasses 
Salt 
Liquid liver hydro 
Evap milk 

It's defo a bit busy elmo. If you use everything then who knows what's working and what's not?

I'd go for a simpler approach i.e. hemp 'n boilie/pellet, or hemp 'n nuts, or hemp 'n maples. Plus the bird food to bulk out/keep the price down.

Tbh my first port of call is as simple as it gets - boilie bulked out with pellet. There's not many places this wont work imo.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

It's defo a bit busy elmo. If you use everything then who knows what's working and what's not?

I'd go for a simpler approach i.e. hemp 'n boilie/pellet, or hemp 'n nuts, or hemp 'n maples. Plus the bird food to bulk out/keep the price down.

Tbh my first port of call is as simple as it gets - boilie bulked out with pellet. There's not many places this wont work imo.

This is a good idea, I just thought chuck it all at them and it will be a winner lol, lockdown is probably hazardous for a habitual over thinker 😁

I think hemp, pigeon conditioner, boilies and pellets will be a good starting point 

I have pigeon conditioner, Pellets and boilies but I think hemp mixed at 50/50 with the PC will make it a more appealing particle mix, 

I tend not to do much spodding, but when I do, I just go for pigeon conditioner, hemp, boilie, pellet and a dash of sweet corn. My current water doesn’t respond too well to spodding, although I will give it a go if I feel it’s right. My other water responds to spodding, but I just go for boilie and pellet. Simple yet effective. 

10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Well technically they should never have seen a tiger nut 😂

But I've had people telling me they are devastating, I've seen them being used on catch reports so I think people are using them all the time 🤔

If people are saying they are devastating then I'd be using them 100%. On lakes where nuts are banned 30% of my particle mix will be nuts. Though if you scooped up a handful of my spod mix  you wouldn't see it in there and yet as I said 30% of that handful will be nut. I've had other anglers, bailiffs even, look at my particle to make sure I'm not using nuts and never been caught. 🤫😉

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I always include tinned Sweetcorn. Probably just a confidence thing now but I feel it makes a positive difference.

I think it's good to add a bit of colour sometimes and they do seem to love Sweetcorn , that was why I wanted the popcorn maize tbh mainly for colour, I guess Sweetcorn would be much less hassle as it doesn't need prepping 😁

22 minutes ago, emmcee said:

If people are saying they are devastating then I'd be using them 100%. On lakes where nuts are banned 30% of my particle mix will be nuts. Though if you scooped up a handful of my spod mix  you wouldn't see it in there and yet as I said 30% of that handful will be nut. I've had other anglers, bailiffs even, look at my particle to make sure I'm not using nuts and never been caught. 🤫😉

Have you got a false bottomed bait bucket? 

How do you do that then I'm intrigued? 😁 

Finely chopped and crushed nuts? I once used peanut flour and fine grade semolina 50/50 with an egg white powder sachet and rapeseed oil - all brought from a supermarket, mixed it all together with eggs and they made pretty nifty looking boilies, didn’t catch on them mind! I’m sure they would work, on the right water. 

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I always include tinned Sweetcorn. Probably just a confidence thing now but I feel it makes a positive difference.

I like to chuck in one of those small tins of the golden grain complete with juice, the visual element plus it’s an instant fish puller. 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Have you got a false bottomed bait bucket? 

How do you do that then I'm intrigued? 😁 

More than my life is worth letting that one out I'm afraid. I didnt believe it when I was told. I was then shown how, I still couldn't see nut in the mix and I knew it was in there 😂

1 minute ago, emmcee said:

More than my life is worth letting that one out I'm afraid. I didnt believe it when I was told. I was then shown how, I still couldn't see nut in the mix and I knew it was in there 😂

Not a bad secret to have don't blame you for keeping it under your hat 🎩

I might try and work it out tbh I don't even think anyone would even check where I am 😂

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

Finely chopped and crushed nuts? I once used peanut flour and fine grade semolina 50/50 with an egg white powder sachet and rapeseed oil - all brought from a supermarket, mixed it all together with eggs and they made pretty nifty looking boilies, didn’t catch on them mind! I’m sure they would work, on the right water. 

The thing with nut flours is  all the good stuff has been taken out (mainly the oils) , which in my opinion makes these nut flours nowhere near as good as the real thing. I tried blitzing peanuts years ago, all you get is peanut butter haha. The only nut I could blitz into a powder was cashew nuts but found it wasn't a good carp puller.  

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

Not a bad secret to have don't blame you for keeping it under your hat 🎩

I might try and work it out tbh I don't even think anyone would even check where I am 😂

Well if people are putting it in catch reports then they can't be checking people. Or are these anglers posting in the catch reports bailiffs or in with the bailiffs? Or are they trying to pull a fast one, tell people nuts work, people try nuts and tell them they are on them and then get them banned. There are some very devious people about, I'm one of them 😂

24 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Well if people are putting it in catch reports then they can't be checking people. Or are these anglers posting in the catch reports bailiffs or in with the bailiffs? Or are they trying to pull a fast one, tell people nuts work, people try nuts and tell them they are on them and then get them banned. There are some very devious people about, I'm one of them 😂

I haven't been checked in a year and I was new back so I doubt anyone is getting checked lol, I think he was just mentioning it in a report for a certain particle sponsor, the other comments are just guys I've spoken to when I've been there