Rod tips high up/low back rests

bluelabel

what is that all about...? is it a trend ? a fashion...? Is there a point to it...? 

I always have my rod tips low, to stop wind movement on the bobbins, or even dip the rod tips in the water... I've seen some ridiculous angles, even down to having no back rests and the rod tips high above the water.... on a windy day thats going to get on someones wick...

anyone any ideas...?

I get the weed and snag bit... and watching the line for indication (but I do that anyway) but saving the weight of 1 bankstick....? seriously...????

Seen it done on commercials with no weed or snags, and on my club lakes with the same conditions and the pegs about 3' above the water...

Seems like an affectation with some folks... copying the mags or the youtube vids...

Call me cynical... mumble mumble !

Not like that in my day... mutter mutter !

Yoof o t'day... gripe gripe !

When I were a lad... grizzle grizzle !

😛

Fishing slack lines you should have high tips to aid with the sinking of the line. Gravity obviously at work. 

In regards to the wind thing, if you set your bite alarms up correctly you don’t have that issue. Simple as that really. I’ve fished mega high tips with slack lines in windy conditions and not had a single bleep (yes I blanked) 

Might well be fashionable amongst some but its certainly not new. I remember fishing tips up with mega tight lines in the mid-late 80’s. The idea was to put the heavy fixed lead under maximum tension in order to improve the hooking efficiency. Worked too, the takes were amazing though occasionally all you got was a nod on the rod tip. Then we got obsessed with hiding the line with back leads and subsequently slack lines.....things do tend to go full circle. 

58 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Might well be fashionable amongst some but its certainly not new. I remember fishing tips up with mega tight lines in the mid-late 80’s. The idea was to put the heavy fixed lead under maximum tension in order to improve the hooking efficiency. Worked too, the takes were amazing though occasionally all you got was a nod on the rod tip. Then we got obsessed with hiding the line with back leads and subsequently slack lines.....things do tend to go full circle. 

Didn't that go down 'twitcher hitter' route? 

I try to keep my lines and tips down as low as possible, although sometimes fishing a long way out with an undertow, or weedy margins, I do need to raise the rod tips. 

7 hours ago, bluelabel said:

One of my local commercials has a set of power lines running over the lake... the carp seem to congregate under them... 

Every water I've fished with power lines this happens now and again, particularly during or after rain. They can defo detect that electricity and there is something about it they like imo.

3 hours ago, yonny said:

Every water I've fished with power lines this happens now and again, particularly during or after rain. They can defo detect that electricity and there is something about it they like imo.

On three occasions I've fished under power lines and seen plenty of shows but not had a touch

6 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Looks plain daft on a weedless commy thats 4' deep with nary a snag

Very true, this is because people see pictures on social media, don't understand the reasons behind the set up and copy like it's a fashion.

I see a problem and buy kit that gives me a solution. i.e. additional long sticks for the front of the pod.

If I can get my rod tips under the surface, that's first choice - less wind disturbance, bird life disturbance - and you cant see where I'm fishing. 👍

15 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Very true, this is because people see pictures on social media, don't understand the reasons behind the set up and copy like it's a fashion.

I see a problem and buy kit that gives me a solution. i.e. additional long sticks for the front of the pod.

If I can get my rod tips under the surface, that's first choice - less wind disturbance, bird life disturbance - and you cant see where I'm fishing. 👍

what he said....👍😎

I'll have to get a "Tips Up" shot of the Cane rods and Mitchells next time out.... 🤣

I can remember when it was the old Gerry Savage SU's with Mitchell 300's pointing down at the water on LONG (3 foot) banksticks and Herons with a 2' drop to your squeezy bottle top with an isotope araldited into it...

how times change....

yoof o' t'day mutter mutter

when I were a lad... moan moan

never in my day.... gripe gripe