Confidence

elmoputney

Maybe slightly left field but as someone who has always been interested in what makes people successful I’ve read and listened to few books on the subject. My interest is personal and professional. As a teacher I’m concerned with academic progress and examination success. In the past as a younger man I’ve had sporting aspirations. Obviously, as an angler I’ve tried to analyse what creates success in terms of fish on the bank. 
If you’re interested, I can heartily recommend ‘Bounce’ by Matthew Syed.

2 minutes ago, Highy said:

I think now, I've got what tackle I want, bait I want, feel g good about where/when I'm fishing. 

My Confidence has now gone up as I'm sticking with what I've got, what I'm using, knowing it will/i will catch and the weekend proved that. 

Found the fish fizzing, used the sticks to wrap the rods upto them, fed them, caught them. 

Now just a case of repeating the process on every visit. 

My Confidence went even higher as by lunch time yesterday I walked round the lake with the dog, the same question to all "Had out?" most same reply, "Nothing mate", so I was doing some thing right as it looked like I was the only 1 at the weekend who caught on the lake? 

That something you were doing right was you were on the fish and they were feeding fish. Much easier to get kn them if they're giving you signs. 

Good result. 👍

3 minutes ago, emmcee said:

That something you were doing right was you were on the fish and they were feeding fish. Much easier to get kn them if they're giving you signs. 

Good result. 👍

Did spend a good 2 hrs looking round, my 1st thoughts on arriving was the shallow snaggy Bay but was no signs, they were mainly all in the middle of the lake, swirling, topping even dolphin diving. Zigs went out, the bait I used were a few floating & sinking puppy dog biscuits, not many, but I think the si king started to attract them, so by about tea time that's when the fizzing started, so a few pouches of 12 & 16mm Sticky Manilla and a mesh bag on every cast. 

Confidence for me is not an issue as much as i enjoy fishing what might considered circuit carp waters i still turn up and just bubble along, I try not to be too peggy on setting up, but if i know a peg does fish regular and is empty i will take it, some guys will go elsewhere if they don't get the going peg. if i'm lucky i might squeeze a fish or two out of it, much to the annoyance of the more pro carp anglers, that can empty the going peg 

Then you have the spot on a spot anglers and to be fair i couldn't say for sure what i'm fishing on think that is why i like weedy waters, if there is a gap, put a bait on it? 

I like to get out in my waders if i can and look for hard spots along the far bank margins place baits and rigs if i can, that's about as carpy as my angling gets, i once bought a set of wrap sticks, haven't used them more than once way too much palaver 

13 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I like to get out in my waders if i can and look for hard spots along the far bank margins place baits and rigs if i can, that's about as carpy as my angling gets, i once bought a set of wrap sticks, haven't used them more than once way too much palaver 

I bought a set of waders last year...never been used still in Original bag. May take em next trip out goi g to a place that has 4 gravel spots in each corner of Lake so may go n feel for em? 

Distance sticks, 1st time I've used em at weekend, think they are a good tool to be honest, on the spot every time. (think that why I did well) gradually little pile building with the golf ball sized mesh bag on every cast. 

22 minutes ago, Highy said:

I bought a set of waders last year...never been used still in Original bag. May take em next trip out goi g to a place that has 4 gravel spots in each corner of Lake so may go n feel for em? 

Distance sticks, 1st time I've used em at weekend, think they are a good tool to be honest, on the spot every time. (think that why I did well) gradually little pile building with the golf ball sized mesh bag on every cast. 

I tend to look more for a patch of hard mud/silt when margin fishing, if you are in soft silt and your next step feels solid then back to soft that's the one for me. 

1 minute ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I tend to look more for a patch of hard mud/silt when margin fishing, if you are in soft silt and your next step feels solid then back to soft that's the one for me. 

The place is mainly mud bottom, has corners with a gravel on each, has 2 islands off set in the middle with a channel through them and a 15ft hols in the centre of the Channel. 

19 minutes ago, Highy said:

The place is mainly mud bottom, has corners with a gravel on each, has 2 islands off set in the middle with a channel through them and a 15ft hols in the centre of the Channel. 

Screenshot_20200810_121126.thumb.jpg.33b8bd7b67045e3df6ff75db9de4cd46.jpg

Was an old match lake, now a Specimen lake, Only allowed 6 anglers on at any 1 time Day & Night. 

Gravel in corners, Hole in middle, more or less unison 4ft all over until towards the hole and starts to drop to 15ft.

Had some work done during lock down, introduced some reeds, pulled some trees down and straightened up the bank sides. 

Evry time I've fished here I've caught and it's mainly been peg 4...i feel Confident every time I e fished here but never fished the gravel spots. 

There's 1, 20lb plus pike to Control the silvers, not allowed to fish for it. Carp to 26lb and 4 Kittens in now also (biggest 16lb).

Edited by Highy

1 hour ago, Highy said:

Was an old match lake, now a Specimen lake, Only allowed 6 anglers on at any 1 time Day & Night. 

Gravel in corners, Hole in middle, more or less unison 4ft all over until towards the hole and starts to drop to 15ft.

Had some work done during lock down, introduced some reeds, pulled some trees down and straightened up the bank sides. 

Evry time I've fished here I've caught and it's mainly been peg 4...i feel Confident every time I e fished here but never fished the gravel spots. 

There's 1, 20lb plus pike to Control the silvers, not allowed to fish for it. Carp to 26lb and 4 Kittens in now also (biggest 16lb).

Looks like a nice water with potential to do a big carp or two. Fair few match waters are looking for a new angler the match lads either stick to the big bagging waters or the rivers and canals, which are starting to see more matches again.

I think all lakes should have a bait hoover or two, Sturgeon are perfect for clearing up old bait every lake should have one with a charity donation forfeit for anyone that catches it. dopey things don't stop eating.  

7 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Looks like a nice water with potential to do a big carp or two. Fair few match waters are looking for a new angler the match lads either stick to the big bagging waters or the rivers and canals, which are starting to see more matches again.

I think all lakes should have a bait hoover or two, Sturgeon are perfect for clearing up old bait every lake should have one with a charity donation forfeit for anyone that catches it. dopey things don't stop eating.  

I know there is at least 4 20's in here... There's 4 fishing lakes, The Specimen lake, The Course Lake, The Match Ring, Silvers Lake... There actually is a sturgeon "Percy" last weight was 33lb, but is in the recovery pond as it was caught/hooked in the eye, so the angler reported it and the owners moved it to the recovery pond, they said at least till winter. 

Edited by Highy

4 hours ago, Highy said:

Did spend a good 2 hrs looking round, my 1st thoughts on arriving was the shallow snaggy Bay but was no signs, they were mainly all in the middle of the lake, swirling, topping even dolphin diving. Zigs went out, the bait I used were a few floating & sinking puppy dog biscuits, not many, but I think the si king started to attract them, so by about tea time that's when the fizzing started, so a few pouches of 12 & 16mm Sticky Manilla and a mesh bag on every cast. 

Good angling. 

The thing is if it takes 2hrs or 10hrs, as anglers we shouldn't set up until we find them. On my old lake a very well known angler turned up for a session, he arrived at just gone 9am but didn't set up until gone 2am the next morning.  He walked that lake all day until he saw enough to go on.  He was there for 48hrs just like me, but no doubt he put a lot more effort in to find them. By 5am he had one. I've been guilty of it in the past, too keen to just set up and crack a beer after a week at work. Then blank and say to myself fish weren't having it. Easy to blame something or someone else. 

As for preconceived ideas, they are sometimes the kiss of death. The carp will tell us where to go not where we think we should go..

9 minutes ago, emmcee said:

As for preconceived ideas, they are sometimes the kiss of death.

I've been telling myself for more than 20 years not to go with any preconceived ideas and I still sometimes make that mistake.

It doesn't matter how confident you are in an area, it always pays to have a good look round before committing.

8 hours ago, yonny said:

Yeah I do that. My "little black book" is my phone nowadays. I have a file of carp I'd like to catch and sit there psyching them out. Doesn't seem to work as well as it does for Tel though lol.

Same as me il be lost without my phone, I had a pic of the big Common in Oxlease for years would always have a look at her till I had her out. For the last 10 years or so every swim Iv fished the distances to hard spots, gavel weed beds and the fish Iv had also weather conditions bait i us and what other anglers around me were doing Iv recorded. I fish day ticket waters the linear complex a favourite. The carp Society’s horseshoe lake beat me up a bit tho 🙄 .... but one thing I never do is give up. The trip is not over till you pull the last rod in, and then you can still ask other anglers how they got on. When I fish with the lads and they ask what my tactics are I say to catch a fish Lol. 

Speaking of Confidence and target fish. 

This is on my list, 

Screenshot_20190429-082757_Chrome.thumb.jpg.96881f31044e0c5e5b0fd84f28560920.jpg.3352ce38af6b5a9db008bebaefce5c00.jpg

I have shown it on here before, but while the person is in charge up there I won't be going, but this is a fish I will/would love to catch. 

I know the place inside out, we're the sunken features are, not gravel spots but old cobble path on the bottom and bowls (not holes). 

Preconceived ideas are hard to ignore once you have one rattling around, i have one brewing after looking around an empty peg the other day gives access to a margin spot between two islands, i reckon i might give a go for the next few sessions, just means walking past the more favoured pegs if they are empty.

22 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Preconceived ideas are hard to ignore once you have one rattling around, i have one brewing after looking around an empty peg the other day gives access to a margin spot between two islands, i reckon i might give a go for the next few sessions, just means walking past the more favoured pegs if they are empty.

Would it be possible to sneakily bait it for a little while? and still fish a favoured peg for a bit, might just help tip the balance right in your favour when the time came to have a go on it 👍

I'm not going to fish my baited spots for a while just keep them topped up with freebies, so they can always find something there then wait till the time is right (hopefully) 

9 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Would it be possible to sneakily bait it for a little while? and still fish a favoured peg for a bit, might just help tip the balance right in your favour when the time came to have a go on it 👍

I'm not going to fish my baited spots for a while just keep them topped up with freebies, so they can always find something there then wait till the time is right (hopefully) 

Too small a lake for that and it gets a good amount of bait going in most days this time of year, it's more of a fishing on the patrol routes they take and trying to get one or two to have a quick belly full swim.

3 hours ago, Highy said:

Speaking of Confidence and target fish. 

This is on my list, 

Screenshot_20190429-082757_Chrome.thumb.jpg.96881f31044e0c5e5b0fd84f28560920.jpg.3352ce38af6b5a9db008bebaefce5c00.jpg

I have shown it on here before, but while the person is in charge up there I won't be going, but this is a fish I will/would love to catch. 

I know the place inside out, we're the sunken features are, not gravel spots but old cobble path on the bottom and bowls (not holes). 

That’s a funky colour looking carp looks blue grey from here ??

3 minutes ago, Big Bass said:

That’s a funky colour looking carp looks blue grey from here ??

It is, picture don't do it justice, its tail can be bright orange at right time of year, think it has some Koi in it... Its actual named "Half Lin" but I'd name it "Half Koi Lin". 

Looks amazing in real life. 

2 minutes ago, Highy said:
10 minutes ago, Highy said:

It is, picture don't do it justice, its tail can be bright orange at right time of year, think it has some Koi in it... Its actual named "Half Lin" but I'd name it "Half Koi Lin". 

Looks amazing in real life. 

Look forward to the pic of you holding it mate 👍

8 hours ago, Highy said:

If you check that place using google earth you may find different pictures where you see gravel bars etc  

just check different views for it 

at least that’s the theory to it lol

Edited by framey

22 minutes ago, framey said:

If you check that place using google earth you may find different pictures where you see gravel bars etc  

That not bad idea, I know they are there I've felt them before but never fished on/off em. 

Something to look into 👍

1 hour ago, framey said:

Can be a very good idea. Google a place can throw up some very interesting maps or satellite images.

Does anyone remember this one?

image.jpeg