The very stiff hinged rig

elmoputney

IMG_20200608_183454.thumb.jpg.8df11b4b6a6d24c9d657d2099afcc933.jpg

I've been having a good play with this one recently, and I've really started to see the benefit of using the mouth trap doubled over like the multi rig, its solid as a rock, I don't think it would budge if blown out, i pulled one at both ends last night with hook pullers and the hook snapped before the chod link naturally I will put a boom on it but I think this one will be tough to eject, can't wait to try it now 🤔15923796182505558004562967480209.thumb.jpg.387c532dcb12fca8561e5d09b4e5c5a9.jpg

On 17/06/2020 at 08:47, elmoputney said:

IMG_20200608_183454.thumb.jpg.8df11b4b6a6d24c9d657d2099afcc933.jpg

I've been having a good play with this one recently, and I've really started to see the benefit of using the mouth trap doubled over like the multi rig, its solid as a rock, I don't think it would budge if blown out, i pulled one at both ends last night with hook pullers and the hook snapped before the chod link naturally I will put a boom on it but I think this one will be tough to eject, can't wait to try it now 🤔15923796182505558004562967480209.thumb.jpg.387c532dcb12fca8561e5d09b4e5c5a9.jpg

I have a very sneaky variation on that that gives a bit of extra movement😉

I'll sort pics when I get home

11 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I got my hydrolink extreme yesterday so I have tried the same rig with that, quite pleased not as stiff as the mouth trap but a lot more subtle IMG_20200621_085440.thumb.jpg.ab677c1626cda1ecf9998cf95f49db43.jpg

I found that a split shot stays in position, sometimes the putty can move or even come off! 

Extreme!! What's that all about?? 

Enjoy experimenting with it elmo

2 minutes ago, commonly said:

I found that a split shot stays in position, sometimes the putty can move or even come off! 

Extreme!! What's that all about?? 

Enjoy experimenting with it elmo

The putty on that one goes round the knot so shouldn't move but will bear it in mind if I do other rigs, it's like a multi rig, I am using 

Extreme just uses thicker fluoro I think, better for stiff rigs etc, here's the description Screenshot_20200621_204209_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.7010e5cc8458165ab236c5fb1d6bdc64.jpg

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Suddenly got a bit of signal.

Under the hook are 2 tungsten beads below a mini swivel. 

The Gardner Tripwire is overhand looped and lighter bobbed to prevent pulling throughimageproxy.php?img=&key=8b150d27ab1b9fed

It definitely works😉

IMG_20200621_180002.jpg

I didn't see you had edited this post that's an interesting idea, I take it the loop knot has no chance of pulling through the beads and swivel due to the knot and blobbing 

14 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

IMG_20200621_180002.jpg

What is your thinking here Nick? Why do you think this would give extra movement over a standard swivel? Surely there will be similar friction between the tungsten beads and the mini swivel than there would between the ring and barrel on a standard swivel?

12 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I always worry that the hook point looks too closed off with those rigs

In the image above the gape is closed way too much imo. The stiff material is supposed to serve as a sweeping extension of the hook shank, there should not be any right angle between hook and the hook link imo.

13 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I always worry that the hook point looks too closed off with those rigs

With mine when you add the pop up and put it into water it does pull the hook up into a better angle, but I did read that hsr are less effective if the stiff part is too short, as this doesn't allow it to stretch enough when the fish tilts up, 

11 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I did read that hsr are less effective if the stiff part is too short, as this doesn't allow it to stretch enough when the fish tilts up, 

Nah that's not accurate buddy, just look at the spinner/ronnie - very short and zero stretch.

The important bit in shaping the stiff link on a hinge/chod or steaming the shrink tube on a spinner/ronnie is to ensure the shape of the hook is extended. You should be able to draw an imaginary line along the shank and it should continue progressively all the way down to the swivel with no nasty angles or corners.

These rigs are basically intended to be an extension of the hooks shank. The one you tied here is almost spot on - that smooth radius from the bend of the hook to the putty is what you're after.

On 21/06/2020 at 08:59, elmoputney said:

IMG_20200621_085440.thumb.jpg.ab677c1626cda1ecf9998cf95f49db43.jpg

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Nah that's not accurate buddy, just look at the spinner/ronnie - very short and zero stretch.

The important bit in shaping the stiff link on a hinge/chod or steaming the shrink tube on a spinner/ronnie is to ensure the shape of the hook is extended. You should be able to draw an imaginary line along the shank and it should continue progressively all the way down to the swivel with no nasty angles or corners.

These rigs are basically intended to be an extension of the hooks shank. The one you tied here is almost spot on - that smooth radius from the bend of the hook to the putty is what you're after.

One thing I did notice about stiff part length is that the longer it is (probably to a certain point) , the trickier it was to eject once it pricked, and the more flexibility (in the curved chod link) it had the longer the hook stayed stuck in my hand, I can't really explain what I mean very well but being really stiff from the double strands of the multi rig loop, made it seem like it would be tougher to eject, i think I am trying to say it is more springy if its a bit longer  😳

5 hours ago, yonny said:

What is your thinking here Nick? Why do you think this would give extra movement over a standard swivel? Surely there will be similar friction between the tungsten beads and the mini swivel than there would between the ring and barrel on a standard swivel?

In the image above the gape is closed way too much imo. The stiff material is supposed to serve as a sweeping extension of the hook shank, there should not be any right angle between hook and the hook link imo.

It does actually spin like a 360 rig in the water, better than a mini ring swivel and fish that close their mouth over the pop-up get hooked dead set. It doesn't work on 'suckers and blowers'.

I think John Claridge was playing with something similar.

30 minutes ago, yonny said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it's essentially a particularly safe 360. A novel idea for sure.

51 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

It does actually spin like a 360 rig in the water, better than a mini ring swivel and fish that close their mouth over the pop-up get hooked dead set. It doesn't work on 'suckers and blowers'.

I think John Claridge was playing with something similar.

What if you used a swivel with a large eye or a swivel with an extra ring, then it would really turn without friction, main concern would be whether or not the tungsten beads would pull through under pressure, if it worked though would certainly give it more freedom to spin 🤔

Edited by elmoputney

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it's essentially a particularly safe 360. A novel idea for sure.

10 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I meant on nicks 360 type rig, I'm with you on the hinged one 

The other thing is it does also work like a Withy pool rig, with the excessive curve, the hard part is making sure you don't use overbuoyant pop-ups. You do really have to trim them down to get it right.

I'm starting to think I am not dead keen on the hydrolink extreme, I'm probably missing the point or doing something wrong, but if I want to make a simple knot less knot when I go to push it back through the eye the braid doesn't but the fluoro goes through, it's not the most user friendly product I've come across, I do own quite a lot hooklinks this one may also go into the at home tackle box 😳

22 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

the braid doesn't but the fluoro goes throug

If you're using small hooks it's tricky, but wet the end and give it a little twist, it will go. I sometimes struggle getting it through the slim anti tangle sleeves, but it does with a little practice.A thin bait needle can help sometimes 

17 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I'm starting to think I am not dead keen on the hydrolink extreme, I'm probably missing the point or doing something wrong, but if I want to make a simple knot less knot when I go to push it back through the eye the braid doesn't but the fluoro goes through, it's not the most user friendly product I've come across, I do own quite a lot hooklinks this one may also go into the at home tackle box 😳

Try Gardner ultra skin stiff for your chod sections and hinge stiffs mate, after steaming there class and work as good as a filament on this rig. You’ve had some good fish lately mate simple and effective you know that 👍