Books

• 4 weeks later...
Guest StinkyMink
On 30/03/2020 at 07:48, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ve pretty much re-read my collection of Carp books so I’m looking for recommendations.

I’ve not read any of Shelley’s and I certainly don’t expect a literary classic but are they worth a punt, his latest is still available I believe?

You need to get Fine Lines, Dave Lane's latest book

It's a belter mate, I'm halfway in, good value hot off the press investment at an epic 450 pages for around £30

Also, don't be afraid of the old ones. Mike Wilson's ''Carp Fishing Legends'', John Harry's ''Carp Fishing Legends'' both brilliant (don't bother with Albert Romp and Lee Jackson Carp Fishing Legends editions). Albert Romp is very funny but its short and poorly written. Lee Jackson isn't a writer either I'm afraid. (It might not have been them that wrote them mind).

Jim Gibbinson's ''Carp Sense'' is a truly wonderful (suprisingly not mentioned much and underrated) classic, and if you haven't got them, the best two carp books ever written are ''Confessions of a carp Fisher'', and ''The Carp Strikes Back'' (All Rod's writings are worth picking up if you can afford it, and you MUST check out BB's other books - the fantasy epic ''The Little Grey Men and the sequeal ''Down the Bright Stream'' are simply BEAUTIFUL - as is ''Brendon Chase'' and ''The Pool of the Black Witch''.

I have not been able to read the rest of the God that is Mr. Denys Watkins-Pitchford (BB) due to them being rare and really expensive.

I haven't tried any Redmire books (again far too rare and thus out of my league pricewise, i.e eating into actual fishing, beer and food money is never on, lol)

Edit: forgot to mention John Harry classic ''Savay'' - absolutely wonderful book

Edited by StinkyMink

20 hours ago, StinkyMink said:

You need to get Fine Lines, Dave Lane's latest book

It's a belter mate, I'm halfway in, good value hot off the press investment at an epic 450 pages for around £30

Also, don't be afraid of the old ones. Mike Wilson's ''Carp Fishing Legends'', John Harry's ''Carp Fishing Legends'' both brilliant (don't bother with Albert Romp and Lee Jackson Carp Fishing Legends editions). Albert Romp is very funny but its short and poorly written. Lee Jackson isn't a writer either I'm afraid. (It might not have been them that wrote them mind).

Jim Gibbinson's ''Carp Sense'' is a truly wonderful (suprisingly not mentioned much and underrated) classic, and if you haven't got them, the best two carp books ever written are ''Confessions of a carp Fisher'', and ''The Carp Strikes Back'' (All Rod's writings are worth picking up if you can afford it, and you MUST check out BB's other books - the fantasy epic ''The Little Grey Men and the sequeal ''Down the Bright Stream'' are simply BEAUTIFUL - as is ''Brendon Chase'' and ''The Pool of the Black Witch''.

I have not been able to read the rest of the God that is Mr. Denys Watkins-Pitchford (BB) due to them being rare and really expensive.

I haven't tried any Redmire books (again far too rare and thus out of my league pricewise, i.e eating into actual fishing, beer and food money is never on, lol)

Edit: forgot to mention John Harry classic ''Savay'' - absolutely wonderful book

I’ve read ‘Fine Lines’ and though I enjoyed it I thought it was the weakest of Laney’s 3 offerings.

Was always a fan of Gibbinson; I’ve been scouring ebay for bargains👍🏻

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I’ve read ‘Fine Lines’ and though I enjoyed it I thought it was the weakest of Laney’s 3 offerings.

I completely agree with that mate. I think the fact his Burghfield story was already quite well documented in his vlogs took away from the book. And I expect that will be a recurring theme going forward. Shame imo.

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Gibbinson

If you read his book titled 'Carp' from 1968, there is a chapter by a Dave Goodrum covering his capture of a 26 lber from the Electricity Cut. Now Dave is still around and I chat to him on a water I fish. He's a lovely chap and hasn't half got some stories in him. It turns out Dave took some of those original Leney's from the Cut back in the day and seeded this water I'm fishing. Magic stuff.

Guest StinkyMink
3 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Was always a fan of Gibbinson; I’ve been scouring ebay for bargains👍🏻

I MUCH prefer Fine Lines to ''A Flick of the Tail..''

It's in a different league of quality (and breadth)

edit - keyboard as usual, can't afford a new laptop

Edited by StinkyMink

If you can get a copy "The Horton Chronicles (The Banned Edition)" is a cracking read...

I can heartily recommend Keith Jenkins "The Keeper" and "The Myth" also Paul Cook's "Lost in a Quiet World"

Rob Maylin's "Fox Pool", "Basil's Bush" and "Tiger Bay"

Tery Hearn's "In Pursuit if the Largest" and "Still Searching"

Jack Hilton's "Quest for Carp"

There's enough to be going on with

Guest StinkyMink
57 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

If you can get a copy "The Horton Chronicles (The Banned Edition)" is a cracking read...

I can heartily recommend Keith Jenkins "The Keeper" and "The Myth" also Paul Cook's "Lost in a Quiet World"

I don't like Maylin's writing, or Terry Hearn

You need to get on Hutchy, BB, and John Harry - they all have a talent for writing

20 minutes ago, StinkyMink said:

I’m actually shocked by that!

For me, Terry’s first is an absolute classic. Not a brilliant writer but the book was an eye opener and major catalyst for many anglers. The second is very good but not in the same class.

Maylin’s first 2 were outstanding. Didn’t rate Bazil’s Bush as highly. The less said about his last effort, the better!

Just now, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Terry’s first is an absolute classic. Not a brilliant writer but the book was an eye opener and major catalyst for many anglers.

Agree. It was a huge source of inspiration to me. It was that book that taught me to feel the lead down🤣

I rate the 2nd just as highly tbh.

1 hour ago, StinkyMink said:

You need to get on Hutchy, BB, and John Harry - they all have a talent for writing

Read most of em... but then I'm an old gimmer who loves in the past apparently

Edited by bluelabel

I recently picked up a copy of Light my Fire by Ian Chillcott. I'm not a big fan of his writings tbh, I just thought it should probs have a place in the collection. I started it on Saturday and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It's nothing like his old magazine columns.

Terry Hearn, In Pursuit I enjoyed, Rod Hutchinson again mostly The Carp Strikes Back for me, then Tim Paisley, but the all time classic, on whatever type of fishing is Chris Yates.

John Bailey and Martyn Page, The Quest for The Queen

Another interesting read is Gareth Edwards, the 70's Welsh rugby player, Gareth Edwards on Fishing. Nothing carp related, mostly fly fishing, but how wherever he went he took a rod. ( Interestingly he broke the UK pike record in 1990).

4 hours ago, bluelabel said:

Agree with Keith Jenkins books 

Also the syndicate series.

illusions of maya is another carp related read,mixed in with past present and future stuff strange layout but it’s great imo. Probably better than the syndicate series if you have read those 

and then the Martin Lawrence books 

I don’t like the “I caught this and moved onto this water and had this one out” kind of books.they mainly bore me to tears and all same just a different person telling the same old story.

most can be bought via kindle and they are cheap well worth it.

Edited by framey

Guest StinkyMink
3 hours ago, yonny said:

I recently picked up a copy of Light my Fire by Ian Chillcott. I'm not a big fan of his writings tbh, I just thought it should probs have a place in the collection. I started it on Saturday and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It's nothing like his old magazine columns.

I didn't like it

Very poor writing quality

As is Cundiff and Crow's stuff