Glug glug glug

elmoputney

2 hours ago, yonny said:

That's the key mate. Change when there is a need to change. A lot of anglers change for the sake of it, there's no point imo. When you observe something that indicates a need to change, that's when it's time to get funky.

I don't use glugs when I'm pre-baiting. The beauty of pre-baiting is that you can condition the carp to eat whatever is easiest for you to use. Assuming you've found somewhere the carp are prepared to feed you can use whatever you want be that something that's easy (boilies) or something that's cheap (corn, pellet etc). I can see no point is conditioning them to eat something that's both expensive and more time consuming.

I watched Carl and Alex on the Park lake campaign again last night brilliant video, one thing that seems to have stuck with me from it was there dad saying "you can't do the same as everyone else and expect better results"  it's not a new saying but seeing them executed it was really inspiring, 

I just think start with the basics and build it up to MY approach to the water at my own pace, also I think I've spent the last few months thinking about what I need to add be it tackle, bait, knowledge etc, when in reality I have enough to start with, if I can get the basics working well, then with fine tuning who knows where I might end up, hopefully the hippodrome 😏

That's good I was thinking the same chucking out a couple of kilos of glugged baits on the way to work doesn't appeal that much 😁

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I watched Carl and Alex on the Park lake campaign again last night brilliant video, one thing that seems to have stuck with me from it was there dad saying "you can't do the same as everyone else and expect better results"  it's not a new saying but seeing them executed it was really inspiring, 

I just think start with the basics and build it up to MY approach to the water at my own pace, also I think I've spent the last few months thinking about what I need to add be it tackle, bait, knowledge etc, when in reality I have enough to start with, if I can get the basics working well, then with fine tuning who knows where I might end up, hopefully the hippodrome 😏

That's good I was thinking the same chucking out a couple of kilos of glugged baits on the way to work doesn't appeal that much 😁

Depends what the others are doing , again I don't always get the idea you need to do something different to everyone else .

You are right though stick to YOUR approach not someone elses  , decent bait , rigs your confident in , maybe tweak or change if your the only one not getting results but this all depends on the water your fishing .

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

This is quite interesting stuff,I might try not using a glug to start with this year and build on that maybe try adding other attractors,and feed items as I go but only If feel I need to, I do agree you need to have faith in your bait and that must start from the bare boilie, this way as I tweak and change things I will learn more about what works and what doesn't, 

Just out of interest if you guys were prebaiting would you always glug your prebait to replicate the bait you would use if fishing, or use the liquid as a boost for the times you are fishing to encourage them along quicker? 

I don't glug baits if I am prebaiting. I want the bait to stand on its own. I  found glugged baits, when prebaiting, even in natural liquids like liquid liver, molasses, or liquid yeast were sometimes left over the 'natural' bait. 

I'm not sure 'find the bait' is quite right, especially after fishing large reservoirs where it can take the carp a couple of days to move into the area.  All of my fish have come to baits out of the bag.

Same with prebaiting on Earith, even though I knew about glugged baits, every fish came on a plain straight ordinary boilie, and I did try both high attract pop-ups and glugged baits. 

However I do think a glugged bait can create a feeding trigger or inquisitive take if the carp find one 'on its own'. My largest or personal best river carp of 28lb did take a bait soaked in Nutrabaits Bait Soak Complex, which was I think a mix of Multimino, Nutramino. The session was only 2 1/2hours long. I was using a soaked bait over pellets to try to get a feeding or pick up reaction.

From that bait soak I did start playing with natural liquids, occasional natural flavours and glycerine. Liquid Yeast and Liver with glycerine worked best, but even with glycerine as a preservative had a shelf life.

11 hours ago, oscsha said:

Depends what the others are doing , again I don't always get the idea you need to do something different to everyone else .

You are right though stick to YOUR approach not someone elses  , decent bait , rigs your confident in , maybe tweak or change if your the only one not getting results but this all depends on the water your fishing .

I think doing things your way and being different are almost the same thing really and most will be using there own ideas, for me it comes down to trends if you see a lot of people spombing then use a different method if everyone is using a throwing stick then a Spomb may be the answer,just the simple things really, I watch a lot of YouTube vids and most of the time they are all using heavily glugged spod mixes and I've no doubt this works because you also see the proof, but is the method diluted by everyone else doing similar things?  This is why I raised the question really, 

For me this year SHOULD be better I am going back to a lake I fished before for a season and caught quite well from so I know a few swims already, I have rigs I am confident in, I actually think I am a more advanced angler than when I fished it before and can hopefully do OK, naturally it will have changed but hopefully I can coax a few whackers out and pick up from where I left off, I caught my biggest fish from there a 27lb common, it was my target then to get a 30+ and that's still the target but also to be more consistent and go in with a plan and see it through 

7 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I don't glug baits if I am prebaiting. I want the bait to stand on its own. I  found glugged baits, when prebaiting, even in natural liquids like liquid liver, molasses, or liquid yeast were sometimes left over the 'natural' bait. 

I'm not sure 'find the bait' is quite right, especially after fishing large reservoirs where it can take the carp a couple of days to move into the area.  All of my fish have come to baits out of the bag.

Same with prebaiting on Earith, even though I knew about glugged baits, every fish came on a plain straight ordinary boilie, and I did try both high attract pop-ups and glugged baits. 

However I do think a glugged bait can create a feeding trigger or inquisitive take if the carp find one 'on its own'. My largest or personal best river carp of 28lb did take a bait soaked in Nutrabaits Bait Soak Complex, which was I think a mix of Multimino, Nutramino. The session was only 2 1/2hours long. I was using a soaked bait over pellets to try to get a feeding or pick up reaction.

From that bait soak I did start playing with natural liquids, occasional natural flavours and glycerine. Liquid Yeast and Liver with glycerine worked best, but even with glycerine as a preservative had a shelf life.

Very interesting Nick , so are you saying the carp left the glugged baits alone but ate the unglugged ones in the same area ? 

Whats your thinking behind adding glycerine to the natural liquids was it to preserve the baits .

Its odd how your experience is that all glugged baits are having a negative effective , I find this surprising with the natural ones .  

10 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I think doing things your way and being different are almost the same thing really and most will be using there own ideas, for me it comes down to trends if you see a lot of people spombing then use a different method if everyone is using a throwing stick then a Spomb may be the answer,just the simple things really, I watch a lot of YouTube vids and most of the time they are all using heavily glugged spod mixes and I've no doubt this works because you also see the proof, but is the method diluted by everyone else doing similar things?  This is why I raised the question really, 

For me this year SHOULD be better I am going back to a lake I fished before for a season and caught quite well from so I know a few swims already, I have rigs I am confident in, I actually think I am a more advanced angler than when I fished it before and can hopefully do OK, naturally it will have changed but hopefully I can coax a few whackers out and pick up from where I left off, I caught my biggest fish from there a 27lb common, it was my target then to get a 30+ and that's still the target but also to be more consistent and go in with a plan and see it through 

I don't watch many youtube vids , most are sponsored in one way or another so need to use the latest spomb, glug , bucket etc etc.You also never know how many unsuccessful footage they are binning .  I know a few sponsored anglers one of them had two big commons off the top on chum within 45 mins of turning up one session this was on a well known water . Roll on several months when he does an article for a magazine the two fish came out on his sponsored bait using rig bits from another of his sponsors ,like he told me how could he write a lengthy article and please his sponsors if he told the truth .

I did watch that Karl & Alex one you mentioned  , not a bad watch . When they mentioned do something different they had already hooked two of the big lumps tried bullying them to much IMO which is why they lost them ,still it sounds good when they say these things . Nice to see the enthusiasm from them and to see the younger generation coming through which we defo need more of .

14 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I watched Carl and Alex on the Park lake campaign again last night brilliant video, one thing that seems to have stuck with me from it was there dad saying "you can't do the same as everyone else and expect better results"

Yeah I recall that. Doing things differently is always good, no doubt, but doing it well is more important imo. An angler doing something very simple really well will out-fish an angler doing something very funky badly. If you keep an eye on the top rod on your water I can almost guarantee they're not doing anything ground breaking. Rather they're just doing what they do really well.

If I'm fishing a pressured water i.e. a proper circuit water I do have a couple of tricks up my sleeve to keep things different but nine times out of 10 if you can get on the fish the simplest tactics will do the job imo.

34 minutes ago, oscsha said:

I don't watch many youtube vids , most are sponsored in one way or another so need to use the latest spomb, glug , bucket etc etc.You also never know how many unsuccessful footage they are binning .  I know a few sponsored anglers one of them had two big commons off the top on chum within 45 mins of turning up one session this was on a well known water . Roll on several months when he does an article for a magazine the two fish came out on his sponsored bait using rig bits from another of his sponsors ,like he told me how could he write a lengthy article and please his sponsors if he told the truth .

That is always happening.  I've seen numerous "sponsored " anglers catch fish on a certain bait only to put in the mags' it was caught on his sponsored bait. I kind of expect it from some of them but one of them I couldn't believe had done it as I held him in high regard and thought everything he said was always accurate. In fact this one particular angler also represents a tackle manufacturer (esp,ecially end tackle, you might guess who from this) but his hooks were from a totally different company stating that they were much sharper than the ones he was sponsored by. I stopped buying magazines from then on. 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I think doing things your way and being different are almost the same thing really and most will be using there own ideas, for me it comes down to trends if you see a lot of people spombing then use a different method if everyone is using a throwing stick then a Spomb may be the answer,just the simple things really

Imo lots of guys think they're doing something different when they're not. It's a fact that on most waters you have guys spombing, guys using sticks, and guys using cattys etc etc, every single day of the week. To be truly different you need to get funky, do something that genuinely isn't being done by anyone else. If you're lucky enough to figure something out and it works you need to keep it VERY quiet i.e. tell no-one. And certainly not post about it on an open forum lol.

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I watch a lot of YouTube vids and most of the time they are all using heavily glugged spod mixes and I've no doubt this works because you also see the proof, but is the method diluted by everyone else doing similar things?  This is why I raised the question really, 

Exactly mate. Every man and his dog is using glugs and liquids, it's no edge. Imo there is almost nothing you can buy from a bait firm that can give you a genuine edge over most other anglers. You need to look past the bait firms, past the angling firms altogether - because there are things out there that will give you that edge.

10 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I kind of expect it from some of them but one of them I couldn't believe had done it as I held him in high regard and thought everything he said was always accurate. In fact this one particular angler also represents a tackle manufacturer (esp,ecially end tackle, you might guess who from this)

He's still my hero lol.

3 hours ago, oscsha said:

Very interesting Nick , so are you saying the carp left the glugged baits alone but ate the unglugged ones in the same area ? 

Whats your thinking behind adding glycerine to the natural liquids was it to preserve the baits .

Its odd how your experience is that all glugged baits are having a negative effective , I find this surprising with the natural ones .  

I think glycerine in the soak/glug acts as a preservative, and as a hookbait hardener.

The glugged baits in the area were often left until there was no other baits left. May be possible that the soak made them different, so as they weren't the prebaited ones, which the carp were searching for and eating, the carp didn't touch them until there was no 'regular' food left.

Yet they were ripping the bottom up to eat my normal bait.

It is also possible that the carp were leaving any bait, that hadn't been in the water for a minimum of 24hours. On this particular water, at times, you had to leave a cast bait in place for up to 2 days without moving it. I had tried mixing glugged baits in with my normal baits, so there was a mix. It put me off using soaked glugged baits on here, knowing that the normal bait would work anyway.

On other waters, glugged baits could be taken before unsoaked baits, as maybe the glug did act as an attractor. This I found best with single baits, using just the glugged baits on the hook, when I had put in no freebies, but possibly over baits other anglers had put in before leaving.

6 hours ago, oscsha said:

I did watch that Karl & Alex one you mentioned  , not a bad watch . When they mentioned do something different they had already hooked two of the big lumps tried bullying them to much IMO which is why they lost them ,still it sounds good when they say these things . Nice to see the enthusiasm from them and to see the younger generation coming through which we defo need more of .

I've got a lot of time for Carl and Alex they seem like genuine guys and they seem to be in it for a genuine Love of the Sport and also to help the kids learn, and from a slightly different perspective, they have also set up another channel which has instructional videos to teach newcomers how to do things, 

5 hours ago, emmcee said:

That is always happening.  I've seen numerous "sponsored " anglers catch fish on a certain bait only to put in the mags' it was caught on his sponsored bait. I kind of expect it from some of them but one of them I couldn't believe had done it as I held him in high regard and thought everything he said was always accurate. In fact this one particular angler also represents a tackle manufacturer (esp,ecially end tackle, you might guess who from this) but his hooks were from a totally different company stating that they were much sharper than the ones he was sponsored by. I stopped buying magazines from then on. 

It's funny I spent a little time being a team member last year and it did funny things to my brain, I wanted to use a different pop up and then felt I couldn't and I wanted to use alternate hookbaits etc but then felt handicapped or that I would have to lie if I caught anything worth catching, quite happy to be free of all that again tbh, this year I can do what I want when I want with whatever I want, other than fishery rules obvs 😉

On 22/01/2020 at 09:38, elmoputney said:

What are your thoughts on glugs, liquids, oils etc and glugging these days? 

Probably said it before but I spray all my Wafter & Pop Ups with the dedicated bait sprays to match....BUT this morning I've put 1 Sticky Pineapple Wafter with dedicated Spray (left) and another (right) Sticky Pineapple Wafter but this is (coated) Glugged in Pineapple Korda Goo...

So far I've had more interest and an aborted take on the Glugged bait 🤔🤔...both fished at same range and spread about 3 rods apart...

IMG_20200125_101843.thumb.jpg.8ce96b638092d242227c3b4ea6e8ac22.jpg

I tried sweetcorn goo for a while when they first came out. No luck. 

My preffered dip is Betalin, lovely sweet flavouring. done me a few fish, had my only fish out the car park on it, so I'm fairly confident it works. 

I agree with the above comments, not much point in glugging freebies, it's the hook ait I want to make more attractive. Seems logical, that's why I've applied it to my fishing. 

• 3 weeks later...

A good topic and lots of interesting replies. 

After a very long time iv realised if you can get the fish feeding and preoccupied you could almost put anything on your hook and get a fish. 

I use sticky baits krill frozen straight out of the bag on the hook snowman style with a bright small pop up on top 

In the spod mix chops,hemp, corn and a good glug of there cloudy liquid and maggots if allowed

Got a little pot of different coloured plastic corn which iv emptied a bottle of there bait spray into it 

In the stick mix crumbled baits crushed hemp (like it to fizz) and there cloudy liquid,with a little hemp oil in the summer 

im just sooo glad iv found a bait iv got confidence in.  

So I do use food glugs and liquids but if I forgot them il still be happy without them 

Edited by Big Bass

• 2 months later...

I use 50:50 BAF liquid Liver and BAF Hydro Squid soak it into ground and whole boilies overnight. Take one of the whole soaked Boilies and snowman it with a 10-12mm white pop up. It's devastating!! I use the unbeatable Innovate baits Squid 2T Boilies (steamed) with a UB Baits White Squid and Plum 12 mm Pop Up on top. My catch rate has gone up enormously and broke PB twice.